What's the best way to go apply multiple LFOs in sequence to a parameter?

So I’m interested in having an a few LFOs apply to a filter cutoff, but I don’t want them to modulate all at the same time. I’m hoping to have LFO1 modulate for the first 512 lines, then LFO2 on the next 512 lines, so on and so forth. Should I just go ahead and turn off LFO1 at the same time that I turn on LFO2, and repeat? I’ve been using paired LFOs and filters but that eats up space in the FX columns pretty quickly.

Why do you need to use multiple lfos? Couldn’t you just modulate the lfo parameters to change behavior at the start of a new bar?

I suppose if you had multiple custom waves, you might want to use multiple lfos :thinking:

1 Like

I wonder if you’ve tried using the Meta Mixer?

https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Meta_Devices#*Meta_Mixer

You could connect your different LFOs to the inputs, connect the Meta Mixer output to your filter, and then automate the Weights at different points in your song to blend (or totally switch) which LFO influences the filter.

For an example check out: Renoise > Main Menu > Help > Tutorials and Demo Songs > Tutorial - Meta Mixer

1 Like

Hydra = 1 input to multiple outputs.

Meta Mixer = multiple inputs to 1 output.

Different purposes for different needs.

2 Likes

OP said:

i.e. multiple inputs

i.e. one output

That’s precisely what the Meta Mixer does – a device that I designed, by the way.

You can do things in Renoise any number of ways, but the Meta Mixer is designed exactly for this sort of thing.

If OP had one LFO controlling many different filters, then of course the Hydra would be the best approach.

But to me it sounded like OP wanted multiple LFOs to control a single filter… so that’s why I suggested the Meta Mixer.

* shrug * :man_shrugging:

At the end of the day you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Peace.

4 Likes

Brilliant! This looks bonkers, I can’t believe I never knew this existed tbh, and the weighting sliders adds even more control/fun to the equation. To MrZensphere’s question, I am wanting to use multiple custom waves. I guess next time I’ll need to do a bit of RTFM’ing before my next question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.