When using my computer keyboard to play notes, I think I'm somehow breaking the entire DAW?

I’ve started DAW hopping and after learning more about Renoise I’m eager to learn it, the workflow looks so fun. I don’t have a musical keyboard with me at the moment so I’ve been using my computer one, I’m following this guide here on using it: Playing Notes with the Computer Keyboard - Renoise User Manual

but for whatever reason, all I can input is one single note, then Renoise stops recognizing all my keyboard inputs and only the mouse seems to work. I’m doing all this on Linux (Fedora) but I can’t find anyone else with my same issue, so I think I’m doing something wrong here.

I’ll run through what I’m doing: open Renoise, add in a sample, instrument etc., then I’ll press Escape to enter Edit mode, I registered a note by pressing the S key, and now suddenly I can’t escape edit mode, can’t enter any more notes and the only thing working is the mouse. If I mess around then my keyboard input does eventually come back.

Sorry for the messy description of the issue, I hope it’s enough for someone to recognize the problem. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome slightlyoversizednut.Listen watch where you click inside Renoise because my guess is you hit some combination of keys and messed up something.Look at my picture and make sure the number is not 0 and get back to me.This is the step jump setting, if it is on 0 you will always be in the same line.
Make sure you watch the getting started videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL_whEd-EnU

3 Likes

hey, thanks for getting back to me!! I made sure it wasn’t set to 0 (I set it to 4), but my issue still kept happening. I went into the instrument view (where the piano roll is), but I still got the same problem where I can only input one key before my keyboard inputs stop being recognized, however, if I alt tab out and then back into Renoise I can press another single key. Also, if I continue to hold down a key then I can keep playing multiple keys, but as soon as I let go of the key I’m holding onto my inputs lock up again.

Considering how weird that all is, I assume this is actually a bug and something that needs developer attention :c

1 Like

Download a more recent Renoise version or an older one and see if you have the same problem.Does Fedora use pipewire ?Are you on Wayland?Does the demo songs play back properly?