When Will Renoise Die?

Renoise will live forever!

Bit of a doomy question if you ask me <_< And even if it were to die tonight I would still be able to use thi kick ass 1.9 for the rest of my life.

Edit: getting offtopicā€¦
I went to Berlin for a job interview, actually. Oh, shit, still offtopic.
Best audiosoftware comes from Berlin!!! Yes, getting thereā€¦
Three cheers for a 5 year old renegade tracker :slight_smile:

I might be moving to berlin in 2008
i plan to sneak into native instruments headquarters and make them work on reaktorā€¦

Renoise Is Come.

gross mark

renoise will die when a big meteoroid will hit planet earth in 2017 :(

a real answer:

never.

Renoise has seen and survived a lot of trackersā€¦

Aero Studio,
Was a really promising project, which has now been silent for a few years.

Aodix
A really promising project, unfortunatly RIP Arguru.

Skale tracker
Has been without Updates for 2 years and is imo considered on ice.

Madtracker
Seems to be put on ice.

Modplug tracker?

Psycle
Almost never updated

Etc

2017?!?! I just text-messaged god and he told me ā€˜not until the fatlady tracksā€™

I have it from reliable sources that the year will be 2038.

I crossed over from Modplug Tracker to Renoise this year. I tried Renoise 1.5 when it first came out and originally felt it was vastly different to Modplug (Which Iā€™ve used since it was basically born) that I had a hard time wrapping my head around it, so I went back to Modplug.

This year I tried out 1.8 (and then later purchased it) because I grew very tired and frustrated with the open source development of OPEN Modplug Tracker.

Modplug is an ongoing development and a few regular coders are handling most of the development in their spare time.

Even though these guys give the impression that they are unbiased to which features get implemented over others, I always felt (doesnā€™t make it true) that only the more technical (nerdy) requests were being addressed and other frequent requests such as ā€œupdated interfaceā€ always seemed to be brushed aside, which as a very visual and musical person myself was a point of frustration. This is what eventually led, actually force myself, to give Renoise another go.

I can not tell you the length and width of satisfaction I get using this one of a kind tracker. Anyone that actually knows me knows that I have a been a virtual poster boy for Modplug for many great years, so the statement above isnā€™t face value.

I realize there are a lot of technical minded people involved with tracking in general. But Iā€™ve always been more interested in bringing a more creative and artistic flux to this medium because itā€™s totally possible and every once in awhile done well.

Renoise, for whatever reason, helps unite those interests and makes tracking fun, creative and motivating.
I donā€™t care how the gears work, just as long as they work and allow me to express myself without having to reinvent the wheel.

I would pay double for what I paid for Renoise, itā€™s an invaluable tool and I think the developer/s are on a balanced track between technicality and art.

I hope that development will continue on in the future. If it doesnā€™t , I still got this awesome 1.9 that serves my needs rather well.

In my opinion, Modplug is dead because the main developers are thinking way too much about ā€œgearsā€ and not enough about ā€œartā€. Itā€™s fine for those trackers that love gears, but itā€™s empty for everyone else.

Technically, I can do several key advanced things in Modplug that I can in Renoise. But letā€™s face it, Renoise is just leap years ahead of Modplug is basic fun and ingenuity and sound clarity. It makes a huge difference to me and itā€™s reflected where it counts the most, in my music!

Heh, care to color scheme/skin that one?

Same here: Used MPT a long time but I come from the Protracker and FT2-Background so modplug was always some sort of ā€œunusualā€ to me although I must admit, I made the best tunes there. On the other hand it turned out that I can use almost every FT2-shortcut in renoise and so I changed to renoise as soon as I got a pc fast enough.

Renoise ainā€™t the only cool program but for me itā€™s the most usable. Maybe if I touched Logic or Cubase first, Iā€™d say they were better but I loved the tracker concept (because you did not need midistuff) :)

Eww, gross!

My initial difficulties were getting used to the interface, which is vastly different from Modplugā€™s Win98 theme.
I realize some of the older trackers are somewhat similar to that of Renoise, like the navigation but I never really touched those in the past as I started my tracking journey on the Amiga 500 using OctaMed Studio which was different then all of them back then. About 15 years ago. I stopped tracking for a while when they stopped making the Amiga then picked it back up with Modplug/PC some years later.

To be honest, back when I had a demo of 1.5 I didnā€™t try that hard to wrap my head around it. Iā€™m glad I sat down at some point and forced myself to get over the humps, which in reality and practice arenā€™t that difficult at all if you just have some patience and determination to learn the interface.

I have tried other MIDI sequencers in the past like Sonar, Calkwalk, etc. They seem complicated. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s only because I have spent many years getting used to the tracker way of things, any other way seems clunky to me.

DONā€™T TELL THEM THAT!!! :blink:

Great!! :D

Nobody has yet answered some of the more specific questions by me (and Laureux), such as what the developers themselves envision and plan, but maybe such information is deliberately being kept secret as a matter of policy?

nothing lasts foreverā€¦

But to give you a small preview what could happen, some news on 5th December 2012:

Meanwhile 8000 miles away pointing to Eurasia Sector 12-00 (formerly known as Germany), i was watching a guy in a Coffeebar reading the Same News as me on the Newsflash-e-paper.

Suddenly that guy jumped up, rushed in front of me, looked me deep in the eyes, and told me:

[b]"The Softwaremafia forced me to sign that fcking contract to give away all my rights with it. After i declined they told me, they gonna hurt my family, or an ā€˜Accidentā€™ could happen to me and my Wife.

It was my Software, it ever was and itā€™ll ever be !"[/b]

Before i could even think ā€œWhat a freak.ā€ , he screwed up the newspaper, throwed it on the ground and left the coffeebar.

For a short moment i could see his neck, and above his MCU-Unit i saw two small tattoos:

One of them looked like a big ā€œRā€ and the second one was this:

No one wanted to buy the Renoise rights so far, if thats what interests you. But why are you asking? Are you interested in buying them? We should discuss this in a private session then. :P

bwooy! :blink: haha another hype :lol:

no seriously jonas is right but the date not. 99942_Apophis will ā€˜passā€™ the earth by a distance ~50km.
there will be no impact (maybe). but much trouble.

Sir, the post you just wrote surpasses all known boundaries of the internet, and possibly of humankind. Incredible. Truly a vivid prophecy of software dystopia.

Re: problems for newbs with Renoise ā€“
I was completely infantile with trackers until I played with Renoise, but I picked it up righteously fast. As someone who is disturbingly picky about software, I am proud to say that Renoise is one of the only programs Iā€™ve ever used which I find to have supremely powerful control, much artistic merit, and lightning fast mechanics all at once. It begs to be learned.