Where do you like to use the Stereo Expander?

Where do you like to use the Stereo Expander?

Do you have certain scenarios/sounds/songs where you like to use it?

What are your settings for the situations?

I think it has some really interesting properties, I am not 100% how best to use it, hence asking.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I stick one on the master and toggle it to hear mixes in mono.

There are some phase effects I like but don’t want the obvious panning so often I’ll squeeze to mono or almost-mono.

At times I will widen some backing vocals too.

Also, here’s plugin that makes the bass mono: the freeware BassLane VST effect plugin

http://www.toneprojects.com/downloads/#basslane

Basslane is a good tool on the master bus to keep all the subbasses mono under a pre-defined frequency. This is very important especially for electronic music. Because all subwhoofers are mono. Also in the club. So it helps to keep the bass mono compatible. I use it in all my productions.

Yeah keeping the subbass of the whole thing mono would take one extra rendering edited with multiband send+ stereo expander, but I’d actually do this instead of having one plugin more in the list.

I’m using this technique too, but I guess it’ll take a while till i’ll play a system big enough to hear this :smiley:

Do you hear a difference when doing this at home?

Usage for the expander: Making stuff wide in the mix. have to admit i almost never use the width parameter and even dont really know what it does :blush:

Also, sidechain something mono w/ stereo expander + highpass filter! Spaaaceeee ^.^

Yeah keeping the subbass of the whole thing mono would take one extra rendering edited with multiband send+ stereo expander, but I’d actually do this instead of having one plugin more in the list.

I’m using this technique too, but I guess it’ll take a while till i’ll play a system big enough to hear this :smiley:

Do you hear a difference when doing this at home?

On a good sound system you will notice a difference with the subwhoofers. Also with good pro headphones you can hear a difference. The bass and the kick’s sub do sound fuller than without.