Which native effect can i use to make stereo->mono

i’ve got an effect chain going on on the track, but i’d like to add some native effect to take it from stereo to mono. how do i crunch it down using Renoise Native fx only, please?

Use the Stereo Expander and slide the expand slider down to mono.

Use the Stereo Expander and slide the expand slider down to mono.

thanks, will try

Yep, Stereo Expander.

Works perfectly.

Also, (after sliding the slider down to Mono) try the L or R buttons to isolate just the Left or Right channel into a single mono channel. Sometimes the summed Mono (L+R) can sound weird, and it can be preferable to use just the L or R signal when you need a pure mono signal.

-M

Yep, Stereo Expander.

Works perfectly.

Also, (after sliding the slider down to Mono) try the L or R buttons to isolate just the Left or Right channel into a single mono channel. Sometimes the summed Mono (L+R) can sound weird, and it can be preferable to use just the L or R signal when you need a pure mono signal.

-M

It also works well for checking if there are any phasing issues in the stereo, you’ll hear if the mono sounds weaker and with odd phaser’ish sounds, which is not good when you want your music to sound good in both stereo and mono.

always have a stereo expander on master bus, set to reduce to mono sum r+l. toggle early, toggle often, keep togglin’ it on and off…especially while mixing and mastering.

if it sounds “weird” while it is on, you did your mixing wrong. That is your average “worst case” mileage of ppl listening to stereo speakers from different positions than the sweet spot. if it sounds good, but very different than the stereo sound aside from the missing width, results will be funky when people change position relative to the speakers…

In classical DAWs you have a slider for balance and width or a combination of these two. In Renoise there’s the width slider in thePre-Mixer device.

However this seems to change the phase which is not the case for the width slider in other DAWs.

Should I use the stereo-expander then to mimic the width slider of other DAWs?

Yes. Renoise has 3 ways messing with stereo width. The track slider, the stere expander width, and the stereo expander surround.

The stereo expander width is what you want to replace classical width sliders. It will do mid/side weighting, only processing stereo info that is already there, not messing with phase. The other two are manipulating phase in similar ways it seems.

Thanks! Did you change your nickname?

Forum software seems to have reset my nickname to what I had choosen when I first registered on this board.

Oops :stuck_out_tongue: … …

so huh. i would prefer to not use any expanding since one never knows how much hassle they cause when mastering music.

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.