Who inspired you to make music?

Liam Howlett.

1 Like

all blues musicians, a bunch of damn good guitarists (r.i.p dimebag darrell), frank zappa, baden powell, django reinhardt, charlie parker, thelonius monk, wes montgomery, chet baker, frank lowe, brötzmann, j.s. bach, glenn gould, eric satie, slayer, hüsker dü, kyuss, pere ubu, tom waits, nick cave, sonic youth, fugazi, black flag, johnny cash, linton kwesi johnson, photek, goldie, matrix, optical, jeff mills, joey beltram, daniel bell, portishead, massive attack, de la soul, the panacea aka mathis mootz, acid pauli aka martin gretschmann

and a ton of others ;D

1 Like

For me, firstly i would say it was my fathers influence. My earliest memories are of falling asleep next to the foldback at his shows.

He bought me my first guitar and has encouraged my interest in music as long as I have known.

As far as artists that have inspired me to create music I suppose it was intitially, Thin Lizzy, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppellin, Black Sabath etc.

Particularly the guitarists.

It wasn’t until much later I was aware of anything electronic. An interest in the experimental (artists like Merzbow, KK Null etc) started to lead me down a different path however, everything changed when I saw Aphex Twin live. His Performanced had a profound effect on me.

It opened me up to a world I didn’t really know existed.

1 Like

What inspires me is when a musician can make a song that captures my mind completely and submerges me into an imaginary world of sounds and visuals, it’s the ability to relay ideas and imagery through sounds, without words. That was my motivation to start making music, I wanted to do this too.

I don’t remember who was the first artist who achieved it for me, maybe Aphex Twin, maybe Boards of Canada, not sure. Typically it’s a genre that captures my interest and inspires me to find my own place in that genre, while searching for the sound I want to hear. For instance, I was really inspired by Japanese techno artists of the 90s for a few months.

There are a lot of artists whose music I would consider to be “prototype” music. In the sense that each song tries to capture a certain image. Most of the songs are repetitive but short. Pistachio Island from Ilkae is a good example. It’s an album that I’ve been listening to for months now.

Sadly, not every genre is easy to produce so being inspired and turning it into a song, are often two different things for me.

1 Like

When I started out it was Jean Michel Jarre, Iron Maiden, Kraftwerk and Queen.

These days while I do get external inspiration, I’ve been on enough of a journey to have more “what if…” ideas than I have time to make, so mostly from the rotting meat inside my cranium.

1 Like