Who is/was into the demoscene?

I have never gone gone to a demoparty.
From your point of view,do you think that speaking english is sufficient to communicate in all demoparties?

I have followed demoscene from the early days but never been in any group.
Once I made some art to a group that never went to a party. My music has been
influenced by demoscene. At very late I became more involved with scene and been
in couple of parties and few years back have made also connection with local computer magazine
geeks in Finland. I have made few cover art and editorial illustrations for a magazine.
But what comes to demoscene music I am a real lamer.
ps: I have made some articles about game music too

1 Like

Maybe not “all” demoparties around the world but for the vast majority of them, yes absolutely! The moment you enter the party hall, English will be the primary language for communication between sceners / visitors and the organizing team. Competition announcements, beamslides on the bigscreen, the intranet with its compo entry submission system and videostreams will all be in English most of the time.

That’s not to say that people won’t speak other local languages as well of course. You may encounter this more often at small demoparties in the far north, east, south or western regions of Europe, for instance when friends or groups are having conversations with each other. But I yet have to find anyone who does not speak English at a demoparty, it really is no problem 99% of the time :smiley:

after “covid”,why not…thank you

Wow, I’ve seen that :smiley:

Not a joke, you can check here the link to the Deutch UNESCO page.

2 Likes

i’m a member of them legendary Spaceballs since somewhat ~25 years.
been and still am a stereofonik developer for/with the UP!ROUGH kru.
have released stuff with trsi and for rebels.
i was a member scoopex, madwizards and can’t remember which groups.

last contribution was last year i think, or 2019.

4 Likes

Wow that’s pretty cool!
I remember State of the Art, I was that hyped by this demo! :eyes: :sparkles:

Never been connected to the demoscene, although i watched them constantly and wondered how they could fit so much music into so little memory.
It got me making music on trackers.
First on my Amiga 500, later on my Amiga 1200.
And now on my M1 mac air and loving it…

1 Like

Hi,

I was involved in the demoscene from the beginning: year 1986
It started with coding 1985 12years old then and did code waveforms on the c64, recorded on a casette using those double casette decks mixed with some sounds from synths or recorded drums but i did get hooked on the computer sounds i could generate and the SAM(speech ofcourse was cool) and well did those kind of thing since there was no music editing program that i could use.
C64 had 3 waveforms(triangle,pulse,saw) + whitenoise. Do some code and messing with those kind of things, creating mostly different fx sounds but some melodies also coded a game in 1986 so needed some sound which was coded waveform math things. most of the early sids songs on c64 were done all by musicians/coders if we go back to 1982-1986, most of them coded their own sound engines.

History:
1986 Christopher Huelsbeck released the SoundMonitor “TRACKER” for Commodore 64 computer.
*glitch in the chip allowed a 4th channel to play samples.

1987 Karsten Obarski released Ultimate Soundtracker for amiga.

My tracking:
1987 I started with tracker music using rockmonitor(c64). 3+1channel
1988 I did start with Soundtracker on amiga. 4 channels.

A lot of tricks like figuring out echo (tape echo) i did hear some songs that had echo, there was no plugins so volume tricks in one channel were you got like drums and base etc this was fun to explore and figure out how to get
some echo between those sounds within 1channel. In 1988 it was easy compared to the c64 you would need to write your own sound engine like those things i did in 1985. One letter i remember it was from some prince from saudi actually, back then it was exciting to say to your parent look i got a letter from saudi, some prinde who want my music.

made 70+ songs between 1988-1989. most of them are released in the Byterapers Muzzax collection
series in 1989(Amiga). Was connected with the elite groups and had some connections around the world +80 groups swapping disks snail mail and handwritten letters and stickers etc. Most songs were just made in order to get the demos done fast, not so music just some noise.

I did not do so much after 1990 but when i saw fruity loops version 1 and the first VST plugins I made some
tunes in 1998-1999.

About the scene anyway i think todays DAW only EDM root begun around 1988, i know swedish house mafia and others did listen to these 1988-1989 amiga songs, 1995 so much later axwell made some tune on amiga1200,back then the EDM scene was trackers but still it was considered a bit different but the early tracker music and c64 sidswere the start of todays EDM basically since it was digital and produced using a daw only. The early 90s edm was produced using drum machines synths etc but the first 80s trackers were the first daws. But the vst plugins and number of channels, sound cards for pc etc ofcourse moved the “sound” forward compared to c64 and amiga what is like called oldschool, chip or lofi today i would say.

Electronic music is old like “Popcorn” is from 1969 using a moog synth. kraftwerk, depeche mode but these did use hardware so its difference cpm to DAW only production.

Today i make modern pop using renoise, other DAWs i tried out all of them but Renoise (same thing like rockmonitor 1987) is for me only i can really understand since i want to write notes directly or make drums with high precision. Soundcloud check it out renoise songs all of them (my homepage in the profile)

Today i do game dev and music, have lately developed beat Synchronization and detection, AI piano players, spatial sound systems. Also a specific algos for renoise synched to beat ticks etc. Renoise or the nature of trackers is great since it is boxed ticks and pattern length, calculation is easier compared to other daws.

Speed-head of Byterapers

2 Likes

Hi,

Some of these songs made in 1988-1989 when sampled based tracker music on amiga started(sound tracker) it was popular to remix old c64 songs. I did some c64 remixes on the amiga, i would listen to the c64 songs and then create a song based on that melody on amiga.

2012 Avicii’s big breakthrough in music came when he was just 18 years old. The breakthrough was in the form of a remix of a Commodore 64 video game called "Lazy Jones.

Just found an article mentioning this actually:

Other notable C64 remixes released on demos in 1988 and 1989 included:

The Muzzax series of music demos by Byterapers has versions of To Be on Top (1), IK+ (2), Arkanoid and Giana Sisters (4) by Speed-Head and Sanxion (3) by Polo.

Of course, this is only scratching the surface of what was becoming a flourishing Amiga demo scene, which would continue onwards into the 1990s – which we’ll look at in a future article. Nonetheless it showed that even in the early years, the Commodore 64’s amazing soundtracks proved to be inspirational for those wishing to compose themselves, and whether you were using a C64 to remake a popular tune, or using all forms of samples on the Amiga to do the same.

Speed-head of Byterapers

2 Likes

I contributed some Fasttracker/Madtracker music for Bypass in the early 2000s, e.g. Kardiogramm (64k), Intense pattern (demo in coop with Kolor and Black Maiden) and Ausflug (64k with Black Maiden, music coop with A-Move).

1 Like

I had these videso on the demoscene bookmarked if anyones interested:

3 Likes

ANSI art and tracker scene for local BBS in the early 90s. Because it was in southern Ontario Canada we didn’t have a lot going on back then. Our crew made a digital zine. Kept up with “the real” demo scene by hosting and trading files (Future Crew, Triton, …warez intros?). Didn’t really understand how anything was organized until the late 90s when the internet was becoming more common and people could communicate outside their local area code more easily. Wasn’t running a BBS anymore. I was The Vernarchy / Alone BBS.

1 Like

Into the late 90’ I had friends who had a BBS, I remember that was… slow :rofl: Also with this ASCII underground design we all love for sure.:slight_smile: But that was a kind of internet before mainstream internet as this is at now.

Today it’s that simple to share something on the web, I think it’s too much (thinking mainly about socials medias). Just my opinion.

1 Like

As a kid (~8 years old?) during the C64 days, me & a mate always fantasized about being hackers, not getting further then pressing runstop in cheap ‘basic’ games and changing random stuff :slight_smile: , trying to get our names inside the startscreen credits felt like magic. Though past fantasy, through to the Amiga days, we only occasionally visited small local scene get-togethers for swapping/copying pirated games, I shared some .mods as well. I remember calling phone numbers listed in cracktro’s or what have you just to say whats up lol. Also there was an intro/cracktro-creator program on the C64 in which you could choose from a selection of tunes, fonts and input your text emulating a real intro. good 'ol days!

2 Likes

I pretend to be active in the scene nowadays, although I am just a watcher. As a member of the “Oldenburger Computer Museum”, which is a hands-on-museum for C64, Amiga and older computers (inkl. a Apple 1 rebuild with original hardware) I love the intros.

I made a music disk once which was on some smaller mailboxes in the fido net and some of my friends still release C64-games and pixelart.

As I still use renoise as my weapon of choice and as I come from the protrackerfamily, I am always watching the scene.

On the other hand, I am very oldschoolish, because I prefer the older handwritten asm-magic by Future Crew, Triton and razor1911.

My demoscene-modfiles (xm, it) are at some tracker-archives. “dopefish” was my handle there.

2 Likes