Who is/was into the demoscene?

Hi!
I wanted to make this poll because Renoise is a tracker, and trackers have a big history in demoscene.

So, about you, Renoisers, who was into the demoscene, or still into it?
Don’t hesitate to share was you do, or have done!

Are you, or have you been, into the demoscene?
  • Yes, and I am still in the scene today! :sunglasses:
  • Yes, I was into the scene! :grinning:
  • No, I don’t/didn’t :innocent:
  • What is the demoscene? :thinking:

0 voters

You don’t know was is demoscene about? not a problem ^^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene

2 Likes

About me, yep I was into the demoscene around 97’-99’.
My nickname was Xenon (inspiration from the famous game…), I when into a few demoparties in France and Belgium .

Well, here is my best ranking contribution on the scene, I made most of this soundtrack (but not the drummer part at the end):

(hey someone uploaded this on youtube thanks!)
Soundtrack made with Impulse tracker.

This demo ranked 2nd at the Volcanic Party 1999, I find it’s really more stark to view this again today, it’s so pixelated! :laughing:

I’m no more into the demoscene, but that was a good experience and influenced me a lot in music, still today!

5 Likes

I have never been in demoscene BUT I secretly follow demoscene since the Atari ST vs Amiga 500 era! I voted for tons of intros / demos / cracktros on Pouet.NET and I still follow events like Revision demoparty. I listened hundreds (or thousands) of chiptunes and ran dozens or hundreds of demos on Atari then on PC. So no, not in demoscene, but a true lover for sure!
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Me too back in the late 80s and early 90s, that was great fun. I still attend demo parties occasionally as some friends are still into it. Can highly recommend it if you love being creative.

3 Likes

been attending about a dozen of parties during the mid 90ies until early 10’s. (mostly the german ones: mekka/symposium/breakpoint/evoke)
had more focus on the trackerscene (which died with the decaying popularity of ft2 / it) than the actual demoscene.

have had only very few appearances in demos:

Glimmerbreaker by Traction (2010)

Box Festival by Brainstorm (2010)

Latex by Blank.255 (1996)

plus a few musicdiscs:

12 Likes

box festival is dope! :metal:

1 Like

I dabbled in some Atari ST coding back in the day. 89-92 or so. Swapping discs by post and occasionally by dial up BBS. There was no Internet as such. Boy does that make me feel old.

Didn’t write/program any music, though I did write a NoiseTracker MOD player for STE.

http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=6772

3 Likes

Well, I was and in some way I’m still in even if not visiting parties anymore.
https://demozoo.org/sceners/1532/
Some of productions I don’t even recognize - I’m feeling old.
I’m no longer making any ProTracker stuff (it’s real pain), but after years of musical break, I feel like creating again - this time using Renoise (for some years).
Greetings to everyone.

1 Like

If you don’t want to feel old,look at the future

Look at the future? In the future I’ll be older. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy:

The past is the past
Looking at the past is good sometime

but present and future is by far more important

Your spirit influence your body
and your body influence your spirit
:arrows_counterclockwise:

For being sucessful,I will have no choice

→ sport

1 Like

My handle in the scene is XNI and i am a member of RNO (Amiga) and Darklite (various platforms).
I have been doing music and graphics (2D/3D) for small demos and musicdisks and occassionally visited parties like Evoke and Breakpoint/Revision.

Early 90s demos on the C64 got me interested in the demoscene in the first place.
Once in a while I still contribute something on request.

5 Likes

Just a spectator, sadly. My now ex-wife didn’t want to get involved. Now that we aren’t together, I have no artist. Not pixel, vector or modeller. If I did get in it would have to be retro all the way. I wouldn’t stand a chance at anything modern in the compos.

I think the true scene spirit lives in the oldschool platform compos anyways.
But on modern platforms i occasionally take a look on 64kb (and below) kinda demos.
Anything else does not really feel like a demo anymore since one can do basically anything nowadays.
Also, after 30 years i got interested in 8-bit coding again.
The C64 still is an interesting platform where one can achieve quite a lot with a couple of lines of code.

1 Like

I tried to be, but was probably always considered a lamer :wink:

I’ve made my small share of ascii logos, trading and mods winning local compos. No involvement in demos, though.

Still an amazing song, even after all those years!

4 Likes

I was kinda into it a little bit, but not really all that active or good at it and I was a bit late in the game sticking to C64 after its scene had pretty much died out.
I released some music, made a font for a demo and some sprites and drawings. I was part of a group called Creators for a short while.

I still haven’t been able to get rid of my C128 DX, wich is fully portable, that is if you own a horse to carry it and they have an hell old TV where you’re going. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve been following demoscene releases since the early 90s, when my older half siblings introduced me to their Amiga machines, they’d always bring along new cool demos to watch that they had picked up from friends. I fell in love with the many different soundtracks. Around that time I also started experimenting with OctaMED, thanks to my uncle who used it excessively. But it wasn’t until 2010 that I joined the demoscene myself, roughly four years after I had first heard about Renoise. Today I’m an active scene musician and a demoparty organizer in Bremen, Germany. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone who follows the scene closely but never been to a demoparty to go visit one of the smaller ones, you’ll fall in love with the atmosphere! :slight_smile:

1 Like