Why Asio Is Worse Than Directsound

I have an updated ASIO audiocard DMX fire. I bought it and renoise because i beleived ASIO would be nice.
The bad thing is that directsound works better than ASIO.
With ASIO I have lowe latiences, but if I charge more than 3-4 VST instrument then when play I have horrible noise and clicks.
I tryed to upper the latency, but anyway the DIRECTSOUND works always better never giving me clicks.

So I’m really disapponted with ASIO feature.

Is there anything I can do?
Is it normal that ASIO is worse than directsound when using more than 3 VST instrumnents?

BTW: ASIO often crash, and when I swap from ASIO to direct sound all souns play higher notes, like if they where on 48000 feruencies so I have to quit renoise and re enter in.

Dunno if it helps, my old SBLive does crackle when USB is activated. Turning it off in bios helps, it’s an issue with the VIA-board.
But that’s probably not gonna work for you :unsure:

Does is happen even with the highest possible latency on the DMX?

Actually it’s the same here, i have an expensive pro-card as well, the Creamware LunaII. It starts crackling as soon i reach about 45% cpu usage. But i don’t use that much VSTi’s yet, lucky (kidding) me. But for me ASIO is still a benefit, cause i can make channel groups and apply DSP from the soundcard to it, with no cpu usage.

Loolarge

No, it is NOT normal. If you do not have a wrong configured system or a slow old crap computer, then ASIO shall always be better than directx.

What kind of motherboard do you have? The motherboard has shown up to be the weak point in almost all ASIO-releated issues I’ve heard about. If you have a motherboard that is based on the VIA KT133 chipset I can only advise you to buy a new mobo. The KT133 chipset is notorious among musicians because it contains a bug that makes it almost impossible to use together with pro audio-cards.
How fast computer do you have and how much ram?
I do not know much about the DMX fire or its drivers, but bad drivers can often cause lot of problems.
Cheak so you havn’t put the soundcard on the same irq as the gfx-card or any massive pci-card. The best is if you can put it on its own irq that do not share irq with any other unit.

That was probably because the USB-device sahred the same IRQ as the sound-cards. Try to shift PCI-buss. Put the card on a pci-buss that do not share irq with other devices…

Asio does eat less cpu resources and sounds clearer to me, it’s a pity though that the sample-rate is fixed.

Get a better audiocard :rolleyes: ;) I can choose between 12 different sample rates ;) Of some reason Renoise only show 3 of them though: 44100, 48000 and 96000Hz. I do not realy know why renoise have that limitation, but I do not care very much cause it is anyhow enough for me. ;)

I have Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! 1024, with kX-project drivers… and it works better and more stable in Direct Sound mode…
In ASIO mode it plays with clicks when CPU load is high only

How to do that in WinXP ?? I mean, since ACPI always routes the ICQ-Table however it wants, you dont have any options to switch a audio-card from IRC 11, which shares (in my case) it with USB to IRC 10.

Or is there any possiblity without change it from ACPI to Standard-PC.

Thats what i found:

Watch the manual to your motherboard. Even if you use ACPI the PCI-busses is built upon a hardware shceme that tells witch PCI busses that shares resources with other devices and wich busses that do not.

omg…me stupid :D

Thanks for ‘Brainwashing’ :D