Why does Volume Envelope "Release" use an inverted value?

In the Renoise manual, it says:

Release: Changes how long it takes for the volume to fall to silence after a Note-Off (key release) event. Higher values equal less time. Only available for the Volume envelope.

Why is a higher value less time, instead of more time? This really confused me, which is why i looked it up in the manual. i’m wondering what the reasoning is so i can maybe remember the correct behavior later.

Higher values ( more ms/s) will result in a longer release, that is, it will take more time until the volume falls silent

Higher values ( more ms/s) will result in a longer release, that is, it will take more time until the volume falls silent

?? What you just stated above reads the exact opposite from the program behavior and the manual. What you said makes sense and is standard in every other instrument i’ve ever used. What Redux does, and what the manual says, is the total opposite.

I think the manual is describing the AHDSR device, for which the release is indeed longer with higher values

The envelope device on the other hand, has this little number box with hard-to-comprehend values.

Enter 0 and you will get an indefinitely sustained voice. I think it has “legacy” written all over it :wink:

I agree, that needs to change, even if it’s just a matter of how the value is represented.

I think the manual is describing the AHDSR device, for which the release is indeed longer with higher values

The envelope device on the other hand, has this little number box with hard-to-comprehend values.

Enter 0 and you will get an indefinitely sustained voice. I think it has “legacy” written all over it :wink:

I agree, that needs to change, even if it’s just a matter of how the value is represented.

The manual is fine for this and tells it like it actually is, which is better than nothing… but it’s definitely the opposite of what human beings are apt to intuit and should be changed. i was asking why it’s like that to see what the cause is before ranting about how unintuitive it is. :wink:

?? What you just stated above reads the exact opposite from the program behavior and the manual. What you said makes sense and is standard in every other instrument i’ve ever used. What Redux does, and what the manual says, is the total opposite.

Yes, I was describing the ADSR device. If you just use this, then you get the behaviour you are asking for, the one that all the other programmes have, too.

Yes, I was describing the ADSR device. If you just use this, then you get the behaviour you are asking for, the one that all the other programmes have, too.

Yeah, true, but i like all the control possible with the graphical envelope. It just needs a sane design for release.