Why Renoise decided to be less powerful than it can be?

As for knobs vs sliders - huh, in a gui that makes little difference for me, but I bet “round knobs” can represent a value range more accurately in a screen space that’s easier to manage - squares vs long rectangles. I do sometimes think the knobs in renoise are a little big, but then again i have a monitor with crap resolution.

You are right but because macros don t usually represent some exact values but just percentages (and you can type exact percentage value if you need to…) you dont need to see value ranges more accurately. Not in case when it takes so much space that there n be jujust 8 macros IMHO :slight_smile:

Other than that, just let the renoise instruments have unlimited macros, and let the instr.macro device choose the macros to expose like the instr.autom device does for vsti’s. Very often you’d like to just put value control to a single sheet, and not automate it but just use it to setup an instrument, for searching in all those automation and fx chains isn’t that great with complex setups.

Yes

I really do like the new macro controls in R3, in particular the way you can connect them to multiple parameters. When I’ve built a really cool instrument (read: filthy acid bassline #23), I really like to spend some time on getting the ranges for all parameters just right[0]. Then add a few extra mappings to give the instrument “character” (leak a bit of resonance with the filter cutoff, like the TB303 does, that kind of thing). And of course set the linear/exponential curves properly[1]. If I have all of that configured properly, I can pretty much go wild on my (MIDI-mapped) knobs, without having to worry too much about going into ranges or combinations that sound shitty.

HOWEVER, it would be really really nice if we could have more macro controls on the instruments. A while back I built a really cool instrument that would create synthetic 909-type kicks (and many other sounds) from a simple sinewave and envelopes. I quickly ran out of macro controls for that one (just a kickdrum generator) and had to start making hard choices about what parameters to control. I don’t plan on tweaking these knobs live, or even during the song (in fact I think I’d render them to samples), but the ability to make a selection of parameters to control (which are hundreds, for a medium fx chain + modulations) into a bunch of macro controls makes for a really efficient way to explore the relevant parameter space (as opposed to clicking around everywhere to locate the parameter sliders in the fx/modulations). 16 would already be better than 8. I can see why it can’t (and perhaps shouldn’t) be unlimited.

I also do like how they’re knobs instead of sliders. Easier to tweak with the mouse, IMO. I don’t think screen space is much of an issue since the current sampler/instrument editor is made of accordeon controls anyway.

I agree with Danoise about the XY Pad :wink: I remember using it a few times in Renoise 2.x before we had macro controls. Then it was sorta useful (but indeed less useful than it seems). Now I just use a Doofer, which are exactly as useful as they seem :smiley:

Like OopsIFly said, I agree about the neccesity to have “trigger” controls (for resetting LFOs, but there was also another thing I needed it for I can’t remember) instead of just toggles. This functionality, however, seems more like it should be solved in the MIDI-mapping logic, though?

[0] my basic workflow for quickly doing that is (most appropriate to filter cutoff, but the generic idea works for any type of parameter): turn it all the way up, then slowly down until the sound starts changing (usually it doesn’t change very much if at all in the top 25% of the parameter range). that is your max value. then turn it all the way down, then slowly up until the sound sounds “okay” instead of “broken”. this is your min value.

[1] … I can dream of having custom curves, right? :wink: