Windows: 32-Bit Speaker Blower plugin(s) crashes in RNS 3.2 but was fine in 3.1.1 (x86&x64)

So, I have a handful of VSTi plugins that crash after initialization in Renoise 3.2, but they load fine in 3.1.1, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Renoise. The log file shows that they initialize successfully, but before their GUI loads, they crash. I am curious if this might have something to do with the DPI changes in 3.2.

I realize that this is most likely a bug in the plugins themselves, but I was hoping that there may be some workarounds that I can try to get them to work. They are freeware or donation-ware, and the likelihood of the plugin developer fixing them I believe is slim.

Is there anything that changed from 3.1.1 to 3.2 that could be causing these crashes? And, is there anything that I might try to get them to load in 3.2?

(Changing the options in the plugin compatibility dialog have no apparent effect on these crashes)

Native Resolution: 1920x1200 (single, builtin display)
Scaling: 100% system-wide (Auto in RNS Preferences)

Edit: Decided to add some additional info. All of my VSTIs are currently 32-bit. All but these 5 or 6 plugins load in 3.2 without issue.

Could you post the crash reports of the log file?

Renoise Log

============================================================
Version : Renoise V3.2.0 (Aug 26 2019)
Date    : 2019-08-28
Time    : 03:12:39
OS      : Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (x86_64)
============================================================

CPU: Found 1 enabled unit(s) with 4 core(s) and 4 logical processor(s) per unit. 4 cores, 4 logical processors are enabled in total.

Application: Showing the splash window...
Application: Initializing the API...

IPP: Detected CPU type: 0x23

MIDI: Initializing DirectMusic...

Graphport: Initializing Freeimage...

System: Using 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.0\Resources\' as resource base directory...

GraphPort: Running in DPI awareness mode: -1
GraphPort: Initializing DirectX...
GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine...

Content Libraries: Found library 'com.renoise.djeroek'
Content Libraries: Found library 'com.renoise.djeroek_vol_2'
Content Libraries: Found library 'com.renoise.elements'
Content Libraries: Found library 'com.renoise.psudaform'
Content Libraries: Found library 'com.renoise.skolskoly'

ReWire Slave: ReWire engine link (Local Machine) is already installed and up to date...
ReWire Slave: ReWire engine link (Current User) is already installed and up to date...
ReWire Slave: ReWire Panel was initialized...
ReWire Slave: ReWire Slave mode failed to init (no master is running)...

ReWire Master: Successfully opened

Timer: Seems safe to use the 'QueryPerformance' counters...

Application: Start running...
Application: Loading the preferences...
Application: Init...

ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\com.pandabot.ChordGun.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.CustomWave.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.IRCclient.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.NotesRandomizer.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Rubberband.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.xCleaner.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\ffx.tools.NativeDSPContextMenu.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\org.drakmaniso.Automasher.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\org.drakmaniso.Morphsynth.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.0\Scripts\Tools\org.drakmaniso.Padsynth.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.0\Resources\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.ToolUpdater.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.0\Resources\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.UpdateChecker.xrnx\'...

DspDevices: Registering native DSP effects...

ASIO: Initializing
ASIO: Trying to open 'ASIO4ALL v2'
ASIO: LoadAsioDriver ... OK
ASIO: ASIOInit ... OK
ASIO: Using SampleRate 44100
ASIO: PostOutput is not supported
ASIO: FillDriverInfo ... OK
ASIO: InputBuffers: 2 available, 2 selected - Type 18
ASIO: OutputBuffers: 6 available, 2 selected - Type 18
ASIO: OutputLatency: 1476, InputLatency: 1464
ASIO: CreateBuffers ... OK
ASIO: ASIOStart ... OK
ASIO: Up and running

MIDI: Enumerating DirectMusic (WDM) MIDI devices...
MIDI: Skipping softsynth WDM out-device 'Microsoft Synthesizer' (not supported)
MIDI: Enumerating Windows MME MIDI devices...
MIDI: Finished device enumeration

Application: Loading the template document...

MIDI: Loading MIDI actions from file 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.0\Resources\Scripts\GlobalMidiActions.lua'...

Osc: Loading OSC actions from file 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.0\Resources\Scripts\GlobalOscActions.lua'...

Player: Constructing...
Player: Creating slave threads...
Player: 4 threads enabled. 4 CPUs are available.
Player: Start running...

GUI: Creating the Document GUI...
GUI: Successfully constructed

Application: Successfully loaded template document.

GraphPort: Initializing in WindowedMode
GraphPort: Successfully initialized

Application: Init OK
Application: Enter MainLoop...

RemoteAudioPlugin: Instantiating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VST\INS\speaker blower synths\Lusus 3\Lusus 3.dll'...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Creating pipes...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Launching plugin server process...

System: Launching Process: "C:/Program Files/Renoise 3.2.0/Resources/AudioPluginServer32.exe" 8196 C:/Users/Jesse/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-8196/PipeMemory-0 RNS_PipeTrigger-8196-0 RNS_PipeWait-8196-0 C:/Users/Jesse/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-8196/PipeMemory-1 RNS_PipeTrigger-8196-1 RNS_PipeWait-8196-1 --dpiawareness -1

RemoteAudioPlugin: Connecting to the server...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Creating server thread...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Creating plugin instance in the server...

RemoteAudioPlugin: Initializing plugin instance...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Successfully initialized

Error Message: Ouch. The plugin 'Dr. Speaker Blower: Lusus 3' in instrument 00 crashed, or is no longer responding.
Error Message: Renoise and other plugins are not affected, but Renoise can no longer access it and thus also not save it's actual state with the song.
Error Message: It's most likely that this is a bug in the plugin, so please report this problem to the authors of this plugin in order to get the problem fixed.

Application: Exit...

Shut down: Stopped the Player

MIDI: Shut down: Closing all acquired MIDI devices...
MIDI: Shutting down DirectMusic...

Shut down: Stopped and released all MIDI-Devices

ASIO: Stop Polling...
ASIO: Releasing ASIO4ALL v2...

Shut down: Stopped and released the active Audio-Device
Shut down: Destroyed the Player
Shut down: Destroyed the Document

GraphPort: Releasing DirectX...

Shut down: Destroyed the GraphPort
Shut down: Saving the Preferences
Shut down: Destroyed the Preferences
Shut down: App is down

Application: Exit OK

RemoteAudioPlugin: Closing 'Lusus 3'...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Stopping server thread...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Shutting down server process...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Disconnecting pipes...

Application: Finalizing the API...

Closing log file...

Renoise Plugin Server Log

IPP: Detected CPU type: 0x23

Graphport: Initializing Freeimage...

System: Using 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.0\Resources\' as resource base directory...

GraphPort: Running in DPI awareness mode: -1
GraphPort: Initializing DirectX...
GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine...

Server: New default DPI awareness mode: -1
Server: Connected

VstPlugs: Trying to instantiate C:\Program Files (x86)\VST\INS\speaker blower synths\Lusus 3\Lusus 3.dll

VstPlugs: Analyzing VST plugin 'Dr. Speaker Blower: Lusus 3', Unique ID:1282634291, Version:2300
VstPlugs: Instantiate OK

System: Running as 32bit process in a 64bit operating system...

These are the only LOGs I know where to find. If there are more, I’ll gladly post those as well. (probably as a plain text file because I obviously cannot figure out how to do code blocks) [edit: figured out the preformatted text]

Also, this is the same, minus the unique ID and version, for any of the 4-5 plugins that are crashing in RNS 3.2. I can go through each of them in succession if that would generate a more useful log. (There are 6 Speaker Blower Plugins, one of which loads successfully in RNS 3.2, might be helpful as a “control”?)

Edit: Loaded up Lusus in 3.1.1 and got pretty much the same logs. The only difference I could see was some stuff pertaining to the new HiDPI settings.

It is very likely to be so. It may take some time for all 32-bit plugins to work correctly with Renoise (or vice versa).

For the moment, if we want to avoid problems, it is advisable to use 64bit plugins, and forget the 32 bit plugins. If you have a 32bit plugin and can install the 64bit version, do so. And delete the 32bit version.

Perhaps the cause of the possible failure scenarios is not Renoise 3.2.0 the only Responsible. The Operating System is also involved. Don’t forget that the windows that surround the plugin are from Windows 7 (or Windows 10).

Anyway, I recommend you upgrade to Windows 10, the last available version. There seems to be no reasonable weight to continue using Windows 7, beyond the inconvenience caused by updating the software.

Even so, I know firsthand that 32-bit plugins cause lag in certain parts of the Renoise 3.2.0 graphical interface, and if show several 32-bit plug-in windows at the same time (whether they are VST effects or VST instruments) they can cause huge lags when playing the song while browsing the top menu.

These are things that should be solved over time. At least I hope so. Many 32bit add-ons are abandoned by the author but they work really well. It would be a shame to abandon them because of a graphic incompatibility.

Like, wait for 3.2.1? (This happens all the time with the newest Audacity updates, the first major release breaks all of my plugins, then the point release fixes them for no apparent reason)

Not an option with these plugins. Otherwise, I would have already done this.

Not an option with my current hardware. It is completely unsupported under Windows 10. Only reason I didn’t go through with the free upgrade awhile back that Microsoft was offering. Still saving for a new PC with Windows 10, hopefuly sometime before official support for Win7 ends.

I have been primarily using the 32-bit version of Renoise due to all of my 32-bit plugins, but when switching over to the 64-bit version of 3.1.1 I never had any serious problems. Now with 64-bit only 3.2 I still have little trouble with all of my 32-bit plugins. Its just these handful that seem to be having a hard time.

I agree, hence my original post, trying to find a workaround for these plugins. If need be, I can always just load em up in 3.1.1 or Reaper and sample them or whatever, just seeing if anyone has had any luck or deeper knowledge that might point me to a “hack”/workaround/etc. to get these running in 3.2.

1 Like

Maybe this can help. https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

Unfortunately, this suffers from the same issue. It appears as though the Patchwork Plugin uses the host to draw the plugins that you load within it. Window pops up, but before the GUI can be drawn, I get the crash dialog. Also, I’d much rather throw $100USD at @taktik than at this plugin, even if it were an effective workaround.

If I cannot find some way of getting these plugins to load, I’ll just not use them in 3.2. Definitely not going to keep me from using Renoise. At this point, its more of a frustration with not knowing exactly why the plugins crash.

1 Like

Try moving the vst folder outside windows partition,sometimes this helps,but I too have plugins that don’t load gui correctly.,some 32bit that aren’t developed any more.