Windows Task Manager/Resource Monitor showing multiple instances of Renoise

Hi folks

I was using Renoise earlier (3.2.2 x64). I have loaded it twice since booting up my computer (Thinkpad T520 i7, Windows 7 Pro) and closed the application after each use. The Resource Monitor and Windows Task Manager are still showing two Renoise.exe instances as active and it’s still taking up memory, even though the application is not currently open. If I run and quit Renoise a third time, a third instance of it appears in both, and the memory usage goes up again. Pic below.

Is there any reason Renoise “loiters” in the memory, and is there any way of stopping this happening if it shouldn’t be occurring? My CPU usage seems to be higher than it should be - wondering if that’s something to do with this.

Capture

Cheers!

Ben

1 Like

Maybe “SuperFetch”?

https://www.osnews.com/story/21471/superfetch-how-it-works-myths/

1 Like

Hey James

Thanks for your suggestion! I don’t think it’s SuperFetch, however, as the Renoise instances only appear after I have loaded them, rather than the machine preemptively reserving memory for expected program usage. Here’s a screengrab from this morning. I haven’t loaded Renoise today and no instances of it are on Resource Monitor or WTM:

Capture

1 Like

If you load other programs in (and start filling memory), do the hanging Renoise instance(s) eventually disappear or do they hang around for the entire session?
Can you manually ‘End/Kill Process’ the instances?
Does the Renoise log file show a clean exit?

Also are you loading a song (one that uses VST’s) into Renoise, then quitting, or does it still hang around if you just load Renoise (without loading any song) and quit?

3 Likes

does the performance graph differ for both of instances? is the executable path the same for both of processes? what happens when you kill one? when are you going to abandon microsoft products? :stuck_out_tongue:

My understanding is that SuperFetch will hold apps in memory after loading then closing if Windows thinks you are prone to load them again soon (and so it just holds on to them).

hey 4tey - thanks for responding! Answers below:

If you load other programs in (and start filling memory), do the hanging Renoise instance(s) eventually disappear or do they hang around for the entire session?

They hang around for the entire session, until I shut the computer down.

Can you manually ‘End/Kill Process’ the instances?

Yes.

Does the Renoise log file show a clean exit?

Looking at that now but it’s like the Mentaculus in its complexity! Where should I look for clean-exit signs?

Also are you loading a song (one that uses VST’s) into Renoise, then quitting, or does it still hang around if you just load Renoise (without loading any song) and quit?

It hangs around multiple times after quitting, whether or not a song is loaded.

hmm - but it’s not keeping anything else in memory in this way, just Renoise.

Ok.

Ok, maybe shows that the process hasn’t completely ‘zombified’ :slight_smile:

It is a tricky question, I asked just in case there was something obvious in there. What I’d still do though is delete the log file, run Renoise, quit (make sure it hangs), and maybe post the log file.

You see what I’m trying to do is to eliminate external VST’s that are not quite cleaning up. Again what I’d do is point Renoise’s VST path to null and make sure Renoise does not see/initalize any VST’s at all. Get Renoise as clean as possible (in fact preferably delete all config and reinstall Renoise (with no VST scan), but that’s a tall order.) If it still hangs around on exit, then it looks more likely to be Renoise code not cleaning something up internally under Windows 7 (nobody has said if it does hang around on exit under other Windows versions.)

Could you post or attach the Renoise log file? This indeed should not happen. Probably it doesn’t shut down properly, while attempting to close down audio or MIDI drivers…

I’ve never seen this in Win 10 pro, and don’t think I’ve ever seen it ever, but perhaps I never looked.

It’s also possible that my usual de-crufting of the OS turned off whatever might do this by default.

thanks @taktik and @4tey - here’s the log file:

Log.txt (39.8 KB)

It’s a new log file showing two initiations and closures of Renoise. Firstly I opened and quit Renoise without loading any songs and the second time I loaded in a song and then quit it. Curiously, this time there’s just one Renoise instance showing after closure on my Resource Monitor - the one with the song in it.

See anything pertinent in there?

Cheers!

hey all - anyone spot anything untoward in my log file?

(Also if anything in there might be slowing my Renoise down, let me know!)

No, looks all good. Actually it seems you’ve started Renoise twice according to the log - probably one of the instances hung when exiting. But if this happened only once and isn’t a general problem, there’s no urgent need to dig deeper here?

The way in which I interpret what @med3.21 said is that he started and exited Renoise without any song loaded. All good. No hung Renoise task on exit. Then he started Renoise and loaded a song that contains VST’s and also probable use of some 32 bit VST’s bridged using the Renoise AudioPluginServer. On exit he got a hung/held Renoise task on exit.

So at the moment my probable theory still can’t be discounted. Some VST and/or the AudioPluginServer holding a VST isn’t completely freeing Renoise on exit(?)

What I’d do (assuming it is a plugin or set of plugins) would be to create songs that only hold an instance of each of the VST’s used in the song known to hold Renoise on exit. Try to isolate/narrow down the plugin(s). If I do find a plugin(s) that hold Renoise on exit, then say to @taktik, right XXX plugin (32 bit bridged or not) doesn’t allow Renoise to clean terminate. If I don’t find any plugin(s) that hang Renoise, then maybe it is something else.

Another question is does this happen with previous versions of Renoise or just Renoise 3.2.2?

1 Like

That’s exactly it, @4tey. Weirdly I just loaded a really old tune, with loads of plugins, and it did a clean exit. If I get time I shall try and drill down into individual plugins to see if any are hanging it - though I might not catch them all. Did the log file hint at any awkward plugins?

Have any other Windows users experienced this behaviour, I wonder?

1 Like