Windows: Very slow scanning and memory leak scanning Waves9&10 VST3 shell

As per title:

• Launch Renoise 3.3
  • Scans for plugins
  • Hits Waves Shell 9.92 x64 VST3.
  • Sits there using more and more memory until it runs out

Same behaviour when scanning plugins manually from the preferences menu.

Last lines of log file:

Audio Plugins: Searching for VST3 plugins in 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\'

Vst3Plugs: Instantiating: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92_x64.vst3...
Vst3Plugs: Instantiating: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92_x64.vst3...
Vst3Plugs: Failed to suggest speaker arrangement (not critical)

Vst3Plugs: Releasing: Waves: C1 comp-sc Mono...

Vst3Plugs: Releasing: Waves: C1 comp-sc Stereo...
Vst3Plugs: Failed to suggest speaker arrangement (not critical)
1 Like

Try to update waves.

That’s not really an option, as I don’t want to pay $200 to update plugins that I’ve already purchased.

1 Like

This only happened once while scanning for plugins for the first time - all following scans worked fine?
When loading and unloading a waves plugins - does it seem to leak memory as well then?

I don’t have that many waves plugins to test, so this will be hard to replicate here, but I’ll try to make sure that it’s not a general problem and check back with Waves if this maybe is a known problem on there side.

The same behaviour occurs after allowing Renoise to open fully (ignoring the crashed plugin) and then re-scanning for plugins.

This particular plugin (V9.92 x64 VST3) works fine in Reaper.

WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3 is also problematic here, the system get laggy and have to reboot, it looks like it’s spawning multiple AudioPluginServer32, is the normal to have two running at the same time?

RemoteAudioPlugin: Instantiating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3'...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Creating pipes...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Launching plugin server process...

System: Launching Process: "C:/Program Files/Renoise 3.3.0/Resources/AudioPluginServer32.exe" 7596 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-7596/PipeMemory-2 RNS_PipeTrigger-7596-2 RNS_PipeWait-7596-2 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-7596/PipeMemory-3 RNS_PipeTrigger-7596-3 RNS_PipeWait-7596-3 --dpiawareness 1

RemoteAudioPlugin: Connecting to the server...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Creating server thread...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Creating plugin instance in the server...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Initializing plugin instance...
RemoteAudioPlugin: Instantiating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3:5653544331434D633120636F6D702D73'...

System: Launching Process: "C:/Program Files/Renoise 3.3.0/Resources/AudioPluginServer32.exe" 7596 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-7596/PipeMemory-4 RNS_PipeTrigger-7596-4 RNS_PipeWait-7596-4 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-7596/PipeMemory-5 RNS_PipeTrigger-7596-5 RNS_PipeWait-7596-5 --dpiawareness 1

RemoteAudioPlugin: Successfully initialized
1 Like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3

This is the 32bit version of Waves, so Renoise needs to spawn a 32bit process to open it. So that’s just as expected.

And yes a new plugin server instance is launched for each plugin that gets loaded in Renoise. The plugin server is pretty lightweight, so this usually isn’t a problem. The leak must be caused by something else.

But it appears as if the file is processed twice!?

Renoise hangs every time and all following scans when processing that file.

Here’s the full log of the fifth time i tried run it.

============================================================
Version : Renoise V3.3.0 (Jan  2 2021)
Date    : 2021-01-03
Time    : 19:31:06
OS      : Windows 10 (x86_64)

System: Using 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.3.0\Resources\' as resource base directory...

CPU: Found 1 enabled unit(s) with 6 core(s) and 6 logical processor(s) per unit. 6 cores, 6 logical processors are enabled in total.

Application: Showing the splash window...
Application: Initializing the API...

IPP: Detected CPU type: 0x46

MIDI: Initializing DirectMusic...

Graphport: Initializing Freeimage...

GraphPort: Running in DPI awareness mode: 1
GraphPort: Initializing DirectX...
GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine...

Warning Message: Renoise crashed during the last startup while trying to initialize the Audio plugin:
Warning Message: '5653544330455369722D6C2065666669' ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3(5653544330455369722D6C2065666669)')!
Warning Message: To prevent further crashes, the plugin will no longer be instantiated until you delete the failed plugs cache file:
Warning Message: 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\CachedFailedVST3s_x64.db'.

ReWire Slave: ReWire slave engine link (Local Machine) FAILED to install (RegError: 5)
ReWire Slave: ReWire engine link (Current User) is already installed and up to date...
ReWire Slave: ReWire Panel was initialized...
ReWire Slave: ReWire Slave mode failed to init (no master is running)...

ReWire Master: Successfully opened

Timer: Seems safe to use the 'QueryPerformance' counters...

Application: Start running...
Application: Loading the preferences...
Application: Init...

ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\Scripts\Tools\com.duncanhemingway.ExportToUnreal.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\Scripts\Tools\com.neurogami.TrackPatternComments.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\Scripts\Tools\com.pandabot.ChordGun.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\Scripts\Tools\joule.no0b.AliasIdenticalTracks.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.SyncAllNotesInGroup.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.ToggleReferenceTrack.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.3.0\Resources\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.ToolUpdater.xrnx\'...
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: 'C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.3.0\Resources\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.UpdateChecker.xrnx\'...

DspDevices: Registering native DSP effects...

Audio Plugins: Searching for VST plugins in 'C:\VSTPlugins\'
Audio Plugins: Searching for VST plugins in 'C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\'
Audio Plugins: Searching for VST3 plugins in 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\'
Audio Plugins: Searching for VST3 plugins in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\'

RemoteAudioPlugin: Instantiating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3'...

System: Launching Process: "C:/Program Files/Renoise 3.3.0/Resources/AudioPluginServer32.exe" 11628 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-11628/PipeMemory-0 RNS_PipeTrigger-11628-0 RNS_PipeWait-11628-0 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-11628/PipeMemory-1 RNS_PipeTrigger-11628-1 RNS_PipeWait-11628-1 --dpiawareness 1

RemoteAudioPlugin: Instantiating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3:5653544330455869722D6C206D6F6E6F'...

System: Launching Process: "C:/Program Files/Renoise 3.3.0/Resources/AudioPluginServer32.exe" 11628 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-11628/PipeMemory-2 RNS_PipeTrigger-11628-2 RNS_PipeWait-11628-2 C:/Users/Thomas/AppData/Local/Temp/Renoise-0-11628/PipeMemory-3 RNS_PipeTrigger-11628-3 RNS_PipeWait-11628-3 --dpiawareness 1

RemoteAudioPlugin: Successfully initialized

Version : Renoise V3.3.0 (Jan  2 2021)
Date    : 2021-01-03
Time    : 19:52:39
OS      : Windows 10 (x86_64)

The WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3 contains more than one plugin. It contains all plugins that you’ve installed via the “Waves Central” application - thus the name shell.

If you don’t need the 32bit versions of the Waves Plugins you could for now simply deleted it, or better temporarily rename it to something like WaveShell1-VST3 9.92.vst3.disabled. This should prevent it from being scanned at all.

Does this 32bit version of the VST3 Waveshell work in other hosts which support 32bit plugins? I’ve never seen a 32bit WavesShell in newer installations of Waves. Probably it simply is broken, and Waves Central no longer updated it?

I should mention that the first thing I tried was make sure there were no rogue 32 bit versions of the Waves shells present on my machine. Same behaviour.
The x64 version works just fine in Reaper.

I just deleted the 32 bit waveshell but same thing is now happening with the x64 waveshell… a new thing happened though, I had 25GB free harddrive space before opening Renoise, a few minutes later I ran out of harddrive space.

I also have trouble with Waves. I’ve told Renoise to specifically NOT scan the folder the waves .dll is in (by editing the roaming config.xml) and only scan another vst plugin folder, but it keeps trying to rescan Waves every time anyway!
I am not using waves much inside renoise and i can live without it, but i am using it in Audition so uninstalling it completely is not an option (neither is updating it for the same reason as others have mentioned).
I’ve also tried deleting all the roaming/cached plugin files and messed around with different settings combinations and nothing seems to be working, it keeps trying to scan the waveshell files.

Remember VST3 files are located in different folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\

I know! I have neither of those active. I don’t know what’s causing it it to crash, but I managed to make it stop by disabling the option “scan on startup” and then deleting the cache files. Then it only auto-scans my specified folder once after deleting, which is outside of Program Files.

Okay, that’s odd… maybe add a snippet of the log file

Nothing in the log helps here. It doesn’t scan Program Files when I disabled “scan on startup”. I think the fact that it auto-scans specified folders anyway had me confused. Didn’t realize that I’d still get my other plugins.

So, when is this going to be fixed? I can’t even run Renoise since 3.3 because it “hangs” on indexing Waves plugins. Do I really have to remove them from my computer for it to run?

Is there some way I could tell Renoise to NOT scan plugins at startup?

I’ve just switched off VST3 support for now:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.0\Config.xml

<!--VST3-->
<UseVst3Plugs>false</UseVst3Plugs>
1 Like

Thanks!!! :+1:

Had same problem but by removing the Waves Waveshells from the VST3 folders I could continue using other VST3 plugins.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\