Work in progress: Piano roll

what i mean is this:

note_select_01.jpg
note_select_02.jpg

what i mean is this:

Yes, as I said before, it is possible to edit in almost any way what is already written in the pattern editor or phrases.It is possible to transpose a single note within a selection, and also a range of contiguous notes within a selection. Renoise’s main problem is that the written notes are often disordered. Most users do not sort notes in note columns, and each track does not have 120 note columns, only 12, for one octave. Then, for a simple tool, it is possible to use two sliders or two popup to mark the minimum and maximum value of the note to transpose within a selection or a particular element, line, note column, or pattern-track, or even an entire track if the function is well done.

If possible in “a simple tool”, it can probably be implemented in a pianoroll tool.The main problem in both tools is to show the user what he is doing.It’s a GUI issue more.Creating a frame above it looks complicated. It would also be possible to mark the range by changing the color of the selected boxes.But there could be a couple of value monitors to display the minimum value and maximum value of the selection, using the pianoroll to select, even limiting the range of lines (which would be a full X-Y selection).To do this, you will need a “transposition selection” button, which could enable other elements, and finally a transpose button.

I hope these comments inspire frenetic_friend.I am interested in this tool for how complex it is, not because it is a pianoroll.Look under the hood! :smiley:

what i mean is this:

Yesterday, I have managed to implement it in my tool. Basically it would work like that:

7585 transpose-note-selection.gif

When the green button is activated, transpose the note marked with the cursor (and the note slider), within the entire range selected. If the green button is off, transpose all notes within the entire selected range.

For now I have added a popup with 4 forms of selection, “line”, “note column”, “all note columns”, and finally, “selection”.With selection you can select multiple tracks. It would also be possible to select a range of contiguous notes to transpose (eg G-4 to B-4), but I do not know if this will be widely used.It is also interesting that the tool is not very complex to manage.

Visually, in a pianoroll seems all clearer…

Hi,

Any update on the development of this?

looks amazing…

Its sad to see this thread go cold. Hopefully it gets rolling again this could be a huge development!!

Any progress on this tool?

Great work btw :walkman:

Thank you and I’m sorry for no updates. Honestly, I kind of forgot about it and sometime ago started to work on another project that is not related to Renoise, but related to music making. I uploaded video with it on the same chanel that the one in this topic. Maybe someone will find it interesting.

But returning to this tool, I’d really like to lead it to usable shape.

Yep go ahead and give the code to the community to fix up if you have it

Thank you and I’m sorry for no updates. Honestly, I kind of forgot about it and sometime ago started to work on another project that is not related to Renoise, but related to music making. I uploaded video with it on the same chanel that the one in this topic. Maybe someone will find it interesting.

But returning to this tool, I’d really like to lead it to usable shape.

would be lush to even see a WIP prototype!

I’m looking forward to see this tool finished one way or an other. :slight_smile: It would be a prominent addition to the already massive ReNoise arsenal! :slight_smile:

Do you have your code public or is this something you are doing privately? I would love to see it

Looks quite promising to me, too. Any test version available?

its dead - like your best friend in life :slight_smile:

I have many times been wondering this pianoroll theme. This is just an idea. Tracker pianoroll would make more sense if pattern effects gets visualized somehow. I understand that it would require advanced and flexible graphics. But anyways it would be very interesting, think about pianoroll visualizing arpeggio, tremolo, vibrato, retrigger, pitch slide and glide. Just thinkin …

imo, a piano - roll in #renoise would make more sense, implemented into the #phrase - editor, where the renoise - piano already resides.

a vertical #roll which should be toggled with the main pattern view in the phrases, with that a simple #renoisesish PR could be added &

for the deeper tweaking just be #toggled back to pattern view. from there these could be used like #phrases & triggered from the main patterns.

just an idea, me is not a coder…so I dont really know whats possible & easy to do; yet this would more be a kind of #gui overlay.

by putting it into the phrase - editor though, it would pretty much keep renoise what it is, a #tracker & just add another feature. :ph34r:

As a non - coding - expert, kind of complicated to explain these things properly to them #pros…so me just made a simple pic:

renoise_roll.png

Well, there’s nothing new under the sun…or not much :walkman:still think the PR would better fit into them #phrases :ph34r:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/piano-roll-integrated-in-pattern-editor-a-advanced-pattern-editor/46102

@ElºHYM This has already been discussed several times in the forums. IMO.It is easier to migrate the virtual keyboard under the pattern editor, and place the PR there in vertical, in an anchored window that you can maximize.Anyway, the virtue of a tracker are the keyboard commands. If you are skillful, you will go faster than with a PR. But a vertical PR would visually help to “listen with the eyes”.

Anyway, I do not expect Frenetic Friend to come back. It seems that this man came, tried to build a PR, but he saw that there are things that are not feasible with the API available, and since there is no support, and it is very hard to make a tool as advanced as a PR, it was abandoned. It was fun while it lasted. Too bad the code is lost … If there were frequent updates from Renoise, this would be different.

I do agree with this & from that perspective; yet also think it would make more sense as a mini piano roll in the phrase - editor, which also would be expandable to a certain degree. The reason me would prefer to just have it for jamming out phrases & chords, melodies & then trigger those from the main - pattern - matrix, is exactly what you said in the second part; I do want to keep it tracker here, esp.from the workflow we are all used to. Though I have read into the older threads about this & it seems a bit more complex and complicated than I first thought. Still would be useful to have something like this.

@ElºHYM This has already been discussed several times in the forums. IMO.It is easier to migrate the virtual keyboard under the pattern editor, and place the PR there in vertical, in an anchored window that you can maximize.Anyway, the virtue of a tracker are the keyboard commands. If you are skillful, you will go faster than with a PR. But a vertical PR would visually help to “listen with the eyes”.

Anyway, I do not expect Frenetic Friend to come back. It seems that this man came, tried to build a PR, but he saw that there are things that are not feasible with the API available, and since there is no support, and it is very hard to make a tool as advanced as a PR, it was abandoned. It was fun while it lasted. Too bad the code is lost … If there were frequent updates from Renoise, this would be different.

frenetic_friend dont go away, this is the best implementation of PR that I have seen so far …

1 Like

In the meantime… anyone can recommend me a good pianoroll vsti? tried temper but I don’t like the workflow.