Work in progress: Piano roll

@Renoised, you gave me an idea to make a tecno song, titled “zero points”. :wink:

Pum

Pum

Pum

Zero pooooints!!!

Pum

Error

Pum

Zero pooooints!!!

Seriously, there are ways and ways of saying things…

Well, forget it!With how nice it is to talk about programming and code… :smiley: n the end you will want to learn LUA.You will see.It’s like playing the piano.

@Renoised, you gave me an idea to make a tecno song, titled “zero points”. :wink:

Pum
Pum
Pum
Zero pooooints!!!

Pum
Error
Pum
Zero pooooints!!!

Seriously, there are ways and ways of saying things…

Well, forget it!With how nice it is to talk about programming and code… :smiley: n the end you will want to learn LUA.You will see.It’s like playing the piano.

@Raul seems to be one the sweetest Spanish guys ever, are all Spanish guys this good ?:slight_smile:

@Raul seems to be one the sweetest Spanish guys ever, are all Spanish guys this good ? :slight_smile:

You will not see many Spaniards in these forums. Not many Indians. Between us, we must take care of each other ;).How is the book going?

Yeah, Raul is cool, but I’m convinced he’s crazy, and he keeps saying stuff to provoke responses from me :smiley:

Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss Raul’s state of mind, so if anyone wishes to discuss him, we really need a ‘Raul Appreciation Thread’.

I appreciate your dedication. But do not open that thread. It will probably be banned by a moderator.The pianoroll tool seems to have progress and is much more complex than doing a RAS. How is the RAS theme going? Any progress?

1 Like

Yeah, Raul is cool, but I’m convinced he’s crazy, and he keeps saying stuff to provoke responses from me :smiley:
Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss Raul’s state of mind, so if anyone wishes to discuss him, we really need a ‘Raul Appreciation Thread’.

Lol, that is one bad joke bro ?

You will not see many Spaniards in these forums. Not many Indians. Between us, we must take care of each other ;). How is the book going?

?

I wrote the proposals for No Starch Press, and I already have one book with them on the works. I would love to have it done with them as they are really good with geeky books and their presentation and content editing. I am expecting to get a response by Wednesday. Lets see. In any case there are a multitude of options so no worries.

I have also contacted some course sites for their interest in this topic. Let’s see how the initial response is. I will see it through one way or the other.

Side by side, doing Lua slowly but surely, also am working on VST code for some earlier stuff that I was preparing and some consulting work in between… but it’s all in a day’s work and I am a persistent guy. :slight_smile:

I wrote the proposals for No Starch Press, and I already have one book with them on the works. I would love to have it done with them as they are really good with geeky books and their presentation and content editing. I am expecting to get a response by Wednesday. Lets see. In any case there are a multitude of options so no worries.

I have also contacted some course sites for their interest in this topic. Let’s see how the initial response is. I will see it through one way or the other.

Side by side, doing Lua slowly but surely, also am working on VST code for some earlier stuff that I was preparing and some consulting work in between… but it’s all in a day’s work and I am a persistent guy. :slight_smile:

Sounds good! The interesting thing is that the project does not remain stagnant, as it does with other ideas. Undoubtedly, the best way is to be persistent and open.Although the book is in English, it would be very nice to be in digital format to download.Possibly it can be translated into other languages.

@frenetic_friend.I had an idea to talk to you about, but he preferred to say nothing.I think it is possible to make the pianoroll detect the selected note in the pattern editor, so that it centers the octave to which it belongs in the pianoroll. I think a good idea would be to add a checkbox to enable this feature.The piano roll would move up and down when editing. As it can show at least 2 octaves, it would not be over-moving. That is, the tool do not center the selected note, but at least a couple of octaves.Thus, the tool offers all the time a concordance with the pattern editor.

Calculating, if they are 2 octaves, for 10 octaves would have 5 movements. If they are 3 octaves then 3 or 4 movements.Or something like that…

I had an idea to talk to you about, but he preferred to say nothing.

I’m not getting this phrase. Still curious what it means.

I think it is possible to make the pianoroll detect the selected note in the pattern editor, so that it centers the octave to which it belongs in the pianoroll.

Actually, good idea. Thanks. Will try it.

I’m not getting this phrase. Still curious what it means.

Sorry…I want to say, that long ago I had an idea (the previously mentioned idea of pursuing the octaves detecting notes), but I preferred to comment not anything, I prefer not overwhelm you with new features. You have enough to make the whole pianoroll work correctly.

However, I think it’s a good idea, maybe to add it in a second phase in your pianoroll.

Amazing stuff! Would really like to try this out - this is the missing link for me personally.

I would also like to test out this Piano_Roll tool. Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to release the beta for testing?

Currently I’m working on algorithm to place notes in track so that they don’t stand on the way of their neigbors or occasionaly delete them.

My guess is that there’s some work being done here. This kind of stuff can get very tricky in the detail…

great thread. very excited about this.

Sorry that I didn’t answer lately. I was distracted and then occasionally broke my laptop. Now writing from tablet. If only I shared this beta before, I could download and get to it from tablet. Actually I was going to go on vacation to live in the wild, away from civilization, feed gadgets from sun power. It would be rather inspiring. But all went wrong and laptop is broken. But not completely. Can be fixed.

Yes, good idea. It’s mushroom-picking season.

Hope all goes well with the fixing :slight_smile:

Oh boy - it looks promising!

Can’t wait to see it developed more.

pretty cool start and awesome work so far!!!

i hope you’ll get your laptop fixed again and are able to pick up the work :slight_smile:

this would make some note editing alot simpler :slight_smile:

selecting a range of notes, moving them up / down the notescale … yea freakin cool!

was missing this feature in renoise :slight_smile:

was missing this feature in renoise :slight_smile:

You can do with the keyboard commands with the column of advanced operations, on the right (feature: “transpose”):

1. Select a range of notes with the mouse (in a note column, all note columns or several tracks).

2. ALT+F1, or ALT+F2… or

3. Use the advanced operations column.

Ok,Renoise does not have this feature to control with the mouse. But it looks “ready” to use ALT and hold the left-click up or down to transpose the selected notes in the pattern editor.

For now, Renoise:

1. can drag selected notes,simply by dragging the selected block with the left click, or …
  2. cancopy selected block, simply by dragging the selected block with the left click holding down the CTRL key both.

Adding drag to transpose notes on the pianoroll would be magnificent. However, I do not understand part of the code to do these things. This tool is one of the most complex I have ever seen.

what i mean is for exsample F-5 notes in one channel … selecting all F-5, keeping the rest unselected.

that is possible?

what i mean is for exsample F-5 notes in one channel … selecting all F-5, keeping the rest unselected.

that is possible?

Nope - in a nut-shell, that would be the advantage of piano-roll.

that is possible?

Changing (transpose) the same note across a track (all note columns or a single note column, the same note!) I think it’s possible to build it in a simple tool, especially if it is within a pattern-track. In fact, you’ve given me an idea to implement this in my next tool.And if that is possible, it is very likely that it can be included in a pianoroll tool.The easiest thing would be to create a popup (or slider) with all the notes so that you can select the note to transpose and a trigger button. I do not know what would be the most correct way to implement it in a pianorroll tool.

For example, in this tool:

7582 transpose-specific-note.png

which shows a module to replace or transpose data, only need to include a popup (or slider) with 121 notes, including note-OFF and “note-Empty”, and create a specific function…No doubt, I will investigate!Also, I think I might add “Selection” in the top popup, but this is starting to get complicated.

Perhaps these comments serve as inspiration for the creator of the pianoroll tool.

Basically, it is possible to edit anything in the way that you want by means of specific functions within a tool. I’ve been experimenting a lot lately with all this.

The only thing I have problems is in visually selecting a particular range of lines between certain sub-columns, and in changing the cursor from one sub column to another, I think it is not possible through the API, yet. But it is not necessary to create the function that changes data already written in the pattern editor (or phrase).

Although it is not fully related, I think there is a small error in the Renoise API when selecting a column range, between the note column and the FX column within a track, in the first selection made.Here something strange happens with the selection, that would have to deepen to explain it better.Anyway, it’s a visual problem, not really necessary to build a function to transform the data of a pattern, track or sub-column, only for a specific selection.

Edit: Oops, I just realized that I can automatically deploy it through my tool’s memo slider, since the slider automatically detects the selected note in pattern editor through the cursor.It would only be necessary to select a note in the pattern editor, modify the digit + -12 and press the transpose button,it would be super simple to do…