Workflow help needed for renoise and hardware combination.

I have been working with renoise for about a month now and really really love it, i currently only have 1 synth which is the vermona drm1 mk3. I sample it into renoise most of the time and it works great that way, but i also really want to get an elektron a4, machinedrum and maybe some other bits aswell. But i really have no idea how to integrate hardware better into my renoise based setup. Anyone here use renoise with hardware? Should i maybe get a big mixer that also can work as an audio interface to record everything at the same time to reaper? Is it viable to sample all of the synths and drum machines into renoise? I’m really interested in how ppl make renoise work with hardware synths so please share how your setup works. Also i am open for synth suggestions if you think elektron boxes are overkill for my setup. Thank you!

Hi welcome aboad!

I use Renoise with hardware…the quick answer is to sample into renoise live. This is fairly straightforward, aside from having to click stop recording at the end of your loop…a special skill in itself!*

Renoise to me is a luxury sampler - sampling your hardware this way gives you direct control of the audio - which leads to sounds and experiments not possible in other daws.

OTHERWISE: Setting up midi is nice and easy per unit, and as long as you have enough inputs its easy enough to manage. I find getting latency (for audio and midi) to line up for each one frustrating, I just end up sampling everything. Also, playing on keys with velocity becomes a data minefield when you record…so I’d spend half the time tidying it up, and in the end I’m quicker programming by hand (but its less musical!).

I use an outboard mixer when I do get all the hardware hooked up - and incidently I’m talking to someone who is developing a latency testing program, so you can set your system up to perfection. inbox me and I’ll send you his email.

Elektron is not overkill! Its the dream.

midierror

*I have requested that recording loops (1 bar / 2 bar / 8 bar etc) could be set, but have not seen any update on this. Count in would be nice too :smiley:

Hi welcome aboad!

I use Renoise with hardware…the quick answer is to sample into renoise live. This is fairly straightforward, aside from having to click stop recording at the end of your loop…a special skill in itself!*

Renoise to me is a luxury sampler - sampling your hardware this way gives you direct control of the audio - which leads to sounds and experiments not possible in other daws.

OTHERWISE: Setting up midi is nice and easy per unit, and as long as you have enough inputs its easy enough to manage. I find getting latency (for audio and midi) to line up for each one frustrating, I just end up sampling everything. Also, playing on keys with velocity becomes a data minefield when you record…so I’d spend half the time tidying it up, and in the end I’m quicker programming by hand (but its less musical!).

I use an outboard mixer when I do get all the hardware hooked up - and incidently I’m talking to someone who is developing a latency testing program, so you can set your system up to perfection. inbox me and I’ll send you his email.

Elektron is not overkill! Its the dream.

midierror

*I have requested that recording loops (1 bar / 2 bar / 8 bar etc) could be set, but have not seen any update on this. Count in would be nice too :smiley:

Hi! Thank you for the long and detailed response! I think at this point my best bet is to just work with sampling the instruments as you said, and in all honesty its not that big of a deal as some people claim.Its just the different workflow of renoise. I might still try to record stuff into reaper for example but i did notice really bad latency issues… I have heard that some people have used puredata to reduce midi latency, so might be worthwhile to look into that. The reason i thought elektron might be overkill, is that the sequencer is a really big part of each elektron machine. But i guess i can program a sequence on the a4 or MD for example and then sample the sequence into renoise and work from there. And once again thank you for the response.

Had a conversation with forum number @nickcent and he provided me with this tip. Use the line in device for incoming audio and use the sample recorder as you indicated or use the line in device within th Fx of an instrument and then use the render selection to sample to record sample. Use reaper in sync (rewire) and then drag and drop waveform into renoise.