Workflow question - phrases

I’m pretty new to Renoise, but I’m loving returning to the tracker way of life after maybe 17 years since I last used OctaMED on the Amiga. Had a few hours play time and bought my licence, I really love it, so thanks for developing such awesome software.

I’m not sure if I should have put this in beginners questions, but I think it could be useful to anyone, so hope it’s OK here.

I’d like to know how and when you use phrases when you’re working with Renoise - what do you like about them, what creative possibilities do they open up for you?

I haven’t used them yet, and I have a few ideas about how they could work for me, but I’ve got a feeling I haven’t grasped all the possibilities.

I am very interested in people’s workflow, both in Renoise and in electronic music in general, so this may be the first of a series of workflow related questions.Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

They are mainly used for note triggered arpeggios and sequences, but the possibilities are almost limitless.

I’m wondering the same. Phrases seem to have so much potential, but I can’t quite figure out how to make them work for me. Most times I just end up making the pattern in the pattern editor and copying it. The one thing I’ve found myself using it for is making less predictable arpeggios, by putting scale filtering on.

I’d like to know how and when you use phrases when you’re working with Renoise - what do you like about them, what creative possibilities do they open up for you?

Pretty much everything you can do in the Renoise pattern editor can now be done in a phrase. There are of course a few differences - mostly, that DSP effects are be applied per-sample instead of per-track - with notes representing a keyzone or single sample - so stuff is overall more granular.

But phrases also make some cool stuff possible in themselves. Play forward or reverse, or apply various commands to the output - MaYbe command being one of the favorites.
Personally, I like to program some drum or note sequence, and then trigger that phrase with glide from the pattern editor - makes everything go swervy.

Also, I made a tool which does recording in a different way by storing everything inside phrases instead of the pattern editor:
http://www.renoise.com/tools/noodletrap/

I treat it similar to something like a pattern-pool, a sketchpad to try out ideas, play around with patterns and sounds until something inspiring materializes to use in an actual arrangement.

Hopefully more tools will come converting tracks/patterns using different instruments to phrases.

I use it for stuff that I want to reuse in potentially different songs. Drum fills etc.

Interesting ideas, thanks.

I’ve been adopting them for my main drums and bass patterns. Easier to switch between fills and different bass patterns. Plus especially with bass, I can come up with different patterns and store them on a key than have to just to load up a new track and having to manually mute between them to see which one i like the best.

I plan to have my whole workflow cully converted to phrases with exceptions used for tracks.

Pretty much everything you can do in the Renoise pattern editor can now be done in a phrase. There are of course a few differences - mostly, that DSP effects are be applied per-sample instead of per-track - with notes representing a keyzone or single sample - so stuff is overall more granular.

But phrases also make some cool stuff possible in themselves. Play forward or reverse, or apply various commands to the output - MaYbe command being one of the favorites.
Personally, I like to program some drum or note sequence, and then trigger that phrase with glide from the pattern editor - makes everything go swervy.

Also, I made a tool which does recording in a different way by storing everything inside phrases instead of the pattern editor:
http://www.renoise.com/tools/noodletrap/

Your tool needs to be updated. It’s not compatible with the latest beta.

One of many ways to use phrases

Each pattern has a preset length.

Which is then combined using the pattern sequencer.

Select the the sequence in the pattern sequencer and “make unique”, then “join”.

Select phrase in the pattern editor and “create phrase”.

I just wanted to mention that if you (OP, dryjoy) are going to utilize a pattern pool system,

it would be a good idea to figure out a naming system that you prefer for a particular project

(different projects = allowance for evolution of different naming systems).

It might help in avoiding projects that bifurcates into uncontrolled chaos,

instead of turning into classics.

For example, I’m experimenting with a naming system at the moment,

mostly for monophonic phrases (can be converted polyphonically),

which self organizes and makes it easier for me to read.

Sum of Note events.
Sum of Note length divisions.
Pattern length.

Note length division details.

Start Note length.
Last Note length.

May look funky to the untrained eye but works for me at the moment…

22.14_14.510_14.510.xrnz
42.22_14.36_36.36.xrnz
42.30_18.36_18.18.xrnz
43.25_18.36.55_36.18.xrnz
52.29_18.336_36.18.xrnz