Worst Update Ever.

I think your remark in the topic header is what set the most reactions… “I’m not ironic”
So if you are not ironic, you are serious and if you start using censored words to emphasize your level of madness… There is nothing that could be really interpreted LOL about .

What are “all features”? and which “certain area” are you aiming at specifically?
You aren’t satisfied that you can store whatever view configuration you desire under seven different function keys that are working from within all areas? If you weren’t saying anything about shortcut keys i presume that they do not fall under your interpretation of “all features” either.

he certainly has some valid points, i also agree with the “press-twice-to-return” hotkey function for example, but the way he illustrates and expresses himself is totally out of place and is carried out on a level which makes a serious discussion fairly impossible.

criticism has never been a bad thing, however it’s always a question of how to present it.

apart from all that, it makes me frown to relate to his attitude of absolutely trashing the new version just for these, in my opinion, rather minor “issues” which absolutely do not justify to call v1.8 “the worst update ever”, when put in relation to all the great additions which were made.

:confused:

i am deeply overjoyed with not only the new edition but the fact that the dev team so thoroughly thought over the features.

i wrote a post that i didnt post yesterday but i may as well post it anyway.

there is always someone that isnt going to like things, an renoise Is going into UnExplored territory, but it would be nice to be able to share the happiness many of us have, wit you.

I showed my doubts about removing this feature during alpha testing, and taktik replied that it was not possible to get it back again. The present solution of storeable view presets (for havesome: the fcking configurable fcking [1][2][3][4][5][6][7] f*cking buttons, for Geez’ sake!) is a good compromise, I think.

About the preferences panel, it can feel you not at home at first, but:
1] you have more space for new panels on the bottom (the new “mixer” panel, for example, but more will surely come in the future)
2] you can still reach it with a configurable hotkey.

what I would see in the new configuration panel is the ability to browse through panels using CTRL+TAB

I could suggest that the F8 key would sneaky and temporary store the current view and focus into the hidden preset slot 8 and go to pattern focus and whenever pressing F8, the preset from slot 8 is called and then emptied again.

Wow is this an uninteresting discussion. “omg, changes, this is horrible”.
I suppose i have the added luxury of having used a sick variety of trackers over the years as opposed to having focused on one in particular. FT2 wasn’t the definitive tracker. Neither was IT, neither was screamtracker, neither was protracker, neither was playerpro, neither was any one of them. If the tracker scene was THAT homogenous, it would’ve been dead long ago.

You want it to be like FT2? Use FT2. Want the other fun stuff that is deeply non-tracker related as well? You can’t have none. Can’t have your cake and eat it too, at some point, something has to step aside.

Yeah, we all used to be apes. Now we’re humans.

Let’s say that FT2 is an ape.

Then God (Taktik & co.) saw the ape, and its potency, laid their hands on the ape/tracker, and slowly but steadily it evolved and turned into Renoise 1.5 (human).

Now, there are still lots of hybrids out there, like MadTracker and Impulse Tracker (half-apes, or Homo Habilis if you will) but as history has taught us, these will eventually be out-conquered by the Homo Sapiens (renoise) and die.

Now, we have come to a crossroad. Godtik and co. has once again decided to lay their hands on our destiny. Will we continue our path along the other hybrids, or try to go other ways, seperating us from the half-apes even more, hopefully driving them even faster to extinction?

I say we go for it.

With this touch of Godtik & co’s hands, we are hopefully moving towards a better future, perhaps with water-fuelled cars, long lasting peace and more knowledge. Perhaps with this knowledge, we will be able to stretch further, beyond the solar system, and touch the stars.

Homo Spaciens/Renoise 1.8 will succeed.

Renoise is sexier than ever now. Can’t wait for the final one.

This thread has wrong name. The author has no right to claim the release is “worst”. The update obviously isn’t he expected, that’s it. I’d lock the thread because it mislead the readers. IMHO

WORST THREAD EVER! :P

Thank you for understanding.

NO that is NOT the way to solve it!!! Thats a COMPROMISE! I think you are poisoning the tracker by adding features like that. Am I all alone in these matters??? idealisticly a tracker should focus on SWIFTNESS!!If you add features you shouldnt remove the old ones… This is a step backwards.

By" a sertain area" i mean . the surroundings of the Pattern editor . you “shouldnt” have to lift your eyes and consentration away from the editing while changing a setting!! YES it happends all the time that you might wanna change device settings while playin. exsample:cuz you cannot release the asio-driver etc when working simultaniously with other programs… (or can i?)

by the way, I understand you put a hole lot of hard work into this , and i am VERY glad that this tracker is available.

Read the post again fool. Its not a matter of adjusting to new features… its the ideology behind.

If you want to be like water, you have to become the water…

Keep in mind that your perception of the ideology of tracking might not be the same as everyone elses ;)

Just for future reference, sertain is actually spelt certain

The step backwards was required for other areas to have local keyboard shortcuts, your default workflow method was only part of the whole concept that was inevitable to be changed to make the other thing work.
In some cases it is not possible to have the old and new thing living next together. (In this case it just isn’t)
You are not alone in the matter that it requires adaptation of behaviour but if you are absolutely not willing to try the compromise, then your are pretty much alone in it.
The compromise is really to give something instead. There could also have been nothing instead.

a step backwards?!
cant remember focusable GUI (like this) in older versions… or in ft2, it and others.

sry, if i missed the point

Way to go, HaveSome. The next move is to call the devs bitches and Renoise a son of a bitch. Then for sure everyone will magically obey you and respect your opinions. Idiot.

First of all, I personally like the focus idea (although I don’t know all the hotkeys, yet ;) ) so I wouldn’t want Renoise to get back to where it was (at 1.5 and before). Fortunately, HaveSome, your behaviour won’t help in convincing the devs that your way is the better one. Then again, it isn’t. The new way gives you far more flexibility once you take the time to give it a try. Admit it, you’re just too lazy to change your habits.

I wonder if you still use a round phone because the keyboards are so f*cking confusing.

The funny thing is, no matter how much you flame and insult other people here, it won’t change anything. So stop acting a smart ass with an attitude (in reality being just lazy and rude), and go read the f*cking manual.

And uh… have a nice day B)

Hahah! What’s up with posting pictures of round and modern phones? That’s hilarious!
Cool thing you’ve taken your time to explain your examples so throughly.

BTW those round phones are a pain in the ass, takes ages to dial a number

There are several things that I do not really like in the new GUI. On the other hand, it’s just a learning process. The point is: Renoise is developing away from standard-tracker stuff to a professional producing environment. The more features a software gets, the more keybindings have to be done.

The Devs did a good job, the GUI of renoise is - despite ALL you can do - quite simple. Okay, we all learned the different hotkeys and we all got quite fast with F1, ALT+Cursor and others but lets face the fact that somehow there need to be more keys for more functions.

I really can understand HaveSomes point of view. But the problem is, tracking itself developed to a whole new level which cannot be reached with conventional keymaps or without drop-down-menues.

The new position of the config-view is really not sooooo good. Before reinstalling my windows (*sigh) I had 2 ASIO-drivers installed which I needed to access sometime to reinitialize my Terrasick-Card.

I want F1 to bring me to pattern-editor and focus it

I had a pulse phone once where you had to pulserate the hook manually instead of letting the disc doing all the tagwork… Not that it didn’t used to have this numberdisc but it was missing. Doing it manually, that was shit because not only do you have to concentrate what number you were about to dial, you need to concentrate on how many pulses to sent to make the system recognise the number.

Sweet - I think I have to rtfm

Hehe, I love this function, to be able to make my OWN system to better my workflow y’know?

The flaming’s uncalled for, people who do it. But HaveSome shows passion. Gotta give her that, now don’t we?