Xm Format

Hi,

I’ve got a copy of Renoise 1.8 from the COmputer Music mag, and it doesn’t seem to be able to actually save as XM format? Is this true? Does 1.9 have this functionality?

If not, can anyone please recommend a tracker that will save as XM format?

Thank you!!!

Hugh.

Well, as XM is limited compared to the possibilities XRNS offers, there’s no XM-Export available anyway. Even the import is some sort of “there’s one but it is not very useful” because XM and RNS are completely different.

If you want to have 100% FT2 compatibility you should check out http://www.milkytracker.net/ but keep in mind you won’t have VST, nifty effects and other advantages renoise has.

You will also be saying byebye to the purtyest GUI this side of something darn sight purty.
Why do you feel the need to save to XM?

Maybe to render it as wav in some xm2wav renderer :P
Pure xm can only be made in milkytracker if you want a fully qualified win32 application.

if you still have FT2 saved somewhere, you may also want to try DosBox DOS emulator and run FT2 into it.

MadTracker also saves XM files.

for rendering-only purposes, you may also want to try XmPlay, a very accurate player which can render to WAV.

All that reminds me my (iirc) suggestion about building some xrns2bin and bin2xrns converter with external xml converting maps. To build the ultimate converter.

Milkytracker does looka bit like someones thrown up 15 bad guis on your screen… :blink:

There’s also ModPlug… not really that accurate, but handles a nice handfull of oldskool formats in windows.

Modplug is the one I’m going to use. So why do I want to use XM as opposed to the other possibilities offered here? Well, I’m a computergame music composer and the Nintendo DS is incredibly limited. It either takes it’s native format, or…XM. So as much as I think renoise looks, feels and works brilliantly, it doesn’t do the job I need it to, alas.

Shame!

Thanks for all your input though ladies and gents. :)

Hugh.

yeah, but it is the only one that plays XM’s correctly.

XMplay for example does not understand the pitch controls etc…

Edit: and btw. gotta say I’m not sure about how well impulsetracker plays every control…

What video game company is this?

if you guys are supporting XM internally (which is a closed binary format, at best hacked together) then you should suggest whoever did that look at Renoise.

The Renoise song format is XML. Someone could probably write a converter specific to your needs much easier than they managed to support XM.

Good times.

http://ekid.nintendev.com/nds.htm

I love this guy

[quote="#<0x0000562850b32080>, post:10, topic:20880"]

yeah, but it is the only one that plays XM’s correctly.

XMplay for example does not understand the pitch controls etc…

Edit: and btw. gotta say I’m not sure about how well impulsetracker plays every control…
[/quote]

xmplay plays xm just like nature intended and has done so for quite some time, im not sure what you’re basing this on?</0x0000562850b32080>

029 is right… i remeber too that XMplay was quite accurate but not 100%, especially with pitch slides etc. I havent used XMplay in ages though (after i made a switch to renoise from impulse tracker) :) its quite possible that things are different now with XMplay.