XP: Renoise Process Sometimes Doesnt Close With ASIO

Hi,
just found this by accident when i was fumbling around with fonts and could not exchange the .ttf files in the renoise dir (“error: file could not be deleted”).

This is what is reproducable on my system (even directly after reboot):

after closing renoise its process is still listed in the task manager (61.604k / 7 threads).
and it won’t go away after some time (waited for approx. 15 minutes).
the only way to get rid of it is terminating it via the process list.

I will try to reproduce it on my laptop (at work) and give the results later.

Specs of my home computer:

AMD AthlonXP 3200+, 1GB RAM
Windows XP Prof. SP3 (+latest patches)
Other apps running in the background:
launchy, taskswitchxp, rivatuner, windows defender, avira antivir premium, dvdram-driver, sandboxie, adolix wallpaper changer

Ok, I’m at work right now…

The issue is not reproducible on my laptop.
Renoise.exe vanishes from the process list right after closing.
It seems I’ll have to sort this out on my home computer.

Main difference between my home computer and laptop at work is that the laptop does not have native ASIO support for its soundcard, thus I’m using DirectSound there. Additionally the laptop has a dual core CPU and not exactly the same VST(i) installed.

I’ll check both out later at home.

Hey benJam,

… the question is if this never happened before (in for example Renoise 2.0) or if this only happens to you while changing/replacing the font file?

Renoise might not close for various reasons: Either because an Audio Device just don’t want to shut off, or a MIDI Device or any other components like Quicktime that we use. Also, now with ReWire, buggy ReWire device might also avoid a proper shutdown, when they deadlock.
A look into the Renoise.log might give us a hint of whats going on here for you. Could you please post your log file here?

When I think of it, this happened twice on my EEE 901 recently.
Will check this out as well…

hmm, I can’t find a renoise.log file anywhere on my computer… isn’t it usually located in the Renoise dir?

I did some checks and the “problem” is also there with Renoise 2.0.0.

The problem seems to reside from my VST(i)s, since when I rename the vst dir, both Renoise version shutdown correctly.

I’ll try to isolate the issue causing vst, but this might take some time…

I figured it out now: it’s not coming from the vst(i) on my system.

Renoise.exe stays in task manager when the audio device type is set to ASIO, with DirectSound enabled it terminates normally.

I guess it’s the crappy sound card I have: Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96
The card is “not so bad” by physical means, but the drivers haven’t been updated by Terratec since 2003…

I hope you did not used their latest drivers… these suck
I have the same card and use driver version 5.00.2000.128. The newer drivers have issues like locked sample-rates and locking up the soundcard after closing an application that used the ASIO drivers.

I know with ASIO for the DMX 6fire is, that you have to give the Renoise some time (a few minutes) to release the ASIO drivers, then all should be fine. So don’t fire up other DirectSound application yet and take care you close all other current applications that use the Directsound drivers are closed first, reopen and then continue.
Related issues are things like Flash objects in your browser that suddenly do not supply audio anylonger, which is all related to ASIO being used either at the moment or being initialised while your browser was open and using a Flash plugin.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/UC/DMX6Fire2496

BenJam: The renoise log can be found via: Renoise -> Help -> Show Log file

Driver issue or not. Did this never happened with Renoise 2.0 or in any other previous versions? Or did you never noticed this there?

Well, I checked it with Renoise 2.0 and it’s the same there.
Seems like I just never noticed. <_<

I’m using the latest drivers for the DMX (5.40.03.130), but I’m already used to the card being bitchy. And I had more issues when using the old drivers.

Maybe it’s working “so good” for me because I disabled the onboard sound card and placed the DMX in the lowest PCI slot. Additionally I’ve disabled Sensaura 3D, use a DMA Buffer of 7 ms (you get more problems with longer buffer) and no Sample Rate Lock.

I closed Renoise prior to writing this text and it’s still in the process list.
After killing Renoise the last two lines in the log files are:

“Application: Exit OK
Application: Finalizing the API…”

Shouldn’t there be something with “Quicktime: Shutting down…”?

Yes, as vincent said: If the card is also used by Windows while its ASIO drivers are used it will not close properly. See http://tutorials.renoise.com/UC/DMX6Fire2496

A pity the older drivers gave issues…
I had issues with the new drivers…
But also had redone DirectX installations and reinstalling the 5.0.2000.128 across the new drivers. It might had solved some things doing it that way but i was not really aware of any kind of consequences seen from that angle.
I personally think that a bug that was fixed in that particular old version, returned in the first later build.

5.0.2000 Build 128

Bugfix: ASIO driver release when ASIO application lose focus.

Had the same thing with wavelab …it just wouldn’t dissapear from the process list ( even try o delete it’s process manually wouldn’ t work) …has something t do with the asio drivers not beeing released …Worst case scenario …BSOD =after a while
It happens with some asio drivers and programs …( combination of those )

I’m still in research mode regarding this issue…
I tried the latest beta drivers (5.53.3.144) for the 6fire, but it’s still the same.

As soon as I get hold of the original driver version I’ll try them out.

If you want the version i’m working with, give me a PM, i can mail you that one…
There is one thing with the ASIO driver that will always stay:It has to get time to get released.
So try this:open Renoise using Asio, then close Renoise and wait a couple of minutes -> keep an eye on the taskmanager… if Renoise disappears from the process list after a few minutes, try to open a directsound application… that will most likely work.

Ofcourse closing an ASIO application works faster if you have no applications open that use the DirectX audio drivers (browser with YouTube or other small apps that require audio)

@taktik; I am having this issue with 2.1. It never happened with 2.0.