Xrni Fails To Load Filename Containing And Ampersand

Hi,

I’ve converted a whole bunch of Soundfont files over to XRNI format using Extreme Sample Convertor and this has worked really well in the majority of cases. There was a few XRNIs that would throw a failed to load error but I didn’t bother looking into it until recently I noticed a pattern to these failures. The ones that don’t work all have an ampersand in the filename such as:
“crisisBass & Lead”
“Piano & EP”

I tried taking the ampersand out of the filename in case it was failing to parse the name but it still throws the same error message. It looking like there’s some kind of issues when parsing the file header when Renoise attempts to load.

Cheers,
Gavin

BTW - Keep up the good work, Renoise team. Your DAW is amazing software!

Could you please upload or attach such a XRNI here? Tried to replicate this here, but it seems to work in general - on Windows.
Are you using Renoise on Windows, OSX or Linux?

Hi,

Here’s on that I converted from the General User Soundfont (“Bass & Lead”). I am using Linux (Ubuntu) and I haven’t tried loading under Windows so I’m glad you did. Actually, I do have a Macbook Air running OSX 10.7.4 and I can confirm that this file throws the same error when loading.

Cheers,
Gavin

I tried to load it under Linux Mint 11 and it gave me a parsing failed error.

ampersand is not allowed in XML files (should be replaced by &) so, if this character is present in the song.xml file as well, I can see why the parsing fails, but this doesn’t explain why in Windows this files is loaded, as you reported

This does not load in Windows either, and as IT-Alien said, this is a problem of “Extreme Sample Converter”: It must encode such characters as XML entities within the XML.

Gavin: Would be great if you could report this to the extreme sample converter crew, so that this can be fixed.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I’ll report it to the ESC crew.

Cheers.
Gavin