Your First Synth: What was it? Have you still got it?

Ahhh my mistake - I thought there was software for the AN1X and CS1X - but it appears I might be wrong.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/52100_en.html

Wow a Roland shrine! Great selection - original 808 / 909 / 707…it can’t be?!

Ah wow thats a new one to me too! Glad you managed to get it back, sometimes we strike gold and don’t realise it. Always best to re-buy sooner rather than later!

1 Like

Been getting back into the Microkorg recently, since I’ve just picked up a really great set of patches for it from True Cuckoo, going through the new patches …think some of these are destined to become renoise instruments.

Sadly no Emu / Ensoniq …they do have some nice older keyboards and i’ve been tempted to pick
somehing up on the used market.

By the way, the MC-303 samples you used on ‘midierror_KLANGCAST.xrns’ sound HUGE!

2 Likes

Well, it’s a bit of a bear to program, but it’s an early implementation of additive synthesis. 128 partials with independent envelopes, so, it’s capable of some pretty amazing and unique sounds. really good at sparkly textures, intense leads, liquid pads and ambiences

1 Like

Ah yeah he makes great sounds! He did a demo with a megadrive chip synth which sounded the BEST!

Yeah all the Emu/Ensoniq thins sound great to my ears… I’d like to get some before they start reaching silly money - I’ve noticed friends with them will NEVER sell.

Oh thanks, yeah I must have had those samples over 20 years now. Still use them!

Sounds like my kinda thing! I just got the new Arturia SQ80 replication and was a bit let down by the number/quality of the pads.

Yeah, i’m a big Roland fanboy. But just the good ones and not the Boutiques. :grin:
And yes, all original. Bought the 707/808/909 in the 1990s. The 606 was sold very cheap as damaged. I gave it to a repair service and they did a great job fixing the problems.

1 Like

Korg Minilogue, still love and use it to this day.

1 Like

Awesome, what a collection. A friend of mine had the 909 in his studio - I’d never seen or used on before and fell in love with it. Always good to know someone who can fix stuff!

Excellent, they look like great synths!

I’m very glad, that i bought the 909 back in the days. They are nowadays traded dearly. I saw one on ebay for more than 13.800 €.
Oh, i noticed, i even forgot one more Roland synth i also have. The JD-Xi. I bought it last year. Nice little synth. It looks tiny, but it can be a huge sound monster.

1 Like

I bought first a MC-303 into end of 90’s like some others here :slight_smile:

At this time I wanted something different to do music than my computer and more portable. That was perfect! Very nice and fun gear, I played a lot with it.

I still have it but don’t use it now, this just don’t fit with the music I’m doing today and how I’m composing now.

1 Like

always room for one more!

Wow thats a pretty nice selection. The first one reminds me of Linus’s piano from Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Does the other one have a built in drum machine like many others did?

My first synth was an original Arturia Minibrute, bought it when it first came out. Still have it and still use it (sometimes). Very quick synth, comes in handy sometimes. I see them change of owners for very little money these days, which I don’t really understand, but hey, the market is always right I guess.

Yeah,. a great first synth, a few people made this wise decision. I had a look online - they are going for less than I sold mine for now!

Oddly, it’s very much like an SH101 in terms of whats there but sounds completely different somehow!

I was on the way to buy a Minibrute. But then i had the chance to get a used Roland TR-909 in a very good condition. So the choice fell on the 909.:grin:

1 Like

Come to think of it, this was prolly my first synth (and yes you really can play it with your head):

Imgur

1 Like

First one was an electribe R when they were released , doesn’t have it anymore
Second one was yamaha A4000 sampler ( stil have it )
Third one , nord modular g1 , still have ( never going to sell it )

1 Like