ZLxx kind of messing up things

Ok so this is marvelous:

Having the ability to increase or decrease resolution at will is a fantastic idea, however the implementation is problematic. For example, the white marking of the beat goes every 4 lines in a default LPB mode of 4. When I do ZL10, suddenly the beat goes every 10th row. I make it go back to default later, it comes back.

The white lines that signal beginning of a beat are always showing things wrong: first they show every 4 when at some point the 10 beat line is actually one beat (so “4” in real lenght, really), then below that there’s a 3/4 chance that the beat line will highlight wrong lines. Even if my problematic 10 beat line constitutes of the last 10 lines, it still doesn’t show this properly visually (highlights every 4th line).

I understand that the tracker registers the change when it hovers over the line but going with that logic is against intuition and messes up visuals which are very important when everything constitutes of numbers. The only good solution for this I think is making the software actively look for this command in every pattern and switch the view into properly whitelining the 4 beat and when the change comes, display the next white line after the number specified in ZL command.

My question is, people who use this a lot, how do you wrap your workflow around this? Do you send the changed beat into a separate pattern, or just learn to see things properly anyway? Or maybe there is some other approach to this?

Besides that, fantastic job with all those effect commands! It really opens up a world of possibilities! It’s nice to see how Studio One just show the world how they implemented arrangertrack so that whole track time segments can be moved around freely and then to look at Renoise and realize how light years away ahead it is with the pattern matrix. Not that Studio One is a bad software, on the contrary. Still :slight_smile:

Not sure what you mean but ZL10 is LPB of 16. ZL0A is LPB of 10. Set the pattern length to something like 80 for ZL0A and it should be okay. Sorry if I misunderstand your question.

Not sure what you mean but ZL10 is LPB of 16. ZL0A is LPB of 10. Set the pattern length to something like 80 for ZL0A and it should be okay. Sorry if I misunderstand your question.

Nah, I just suck at explaining :smiley: What I meant is that when you add extra lines with that command, the markings of a new beat (white lines instead of gray ones) start marking the rest of the pattern as if the whole thing is in that LPB, even though it isn’t, and when it changes back to 4/4, it starts marking every 4th beat again even though there is a 10-line beat in the middle. Forgot about the hexadecimal so my example was poorly calculated!

So basically, that changing the LPB during playback currently can give you an epileptic seizure due to all the switching :panic: Well, almost, anyway.

Agree that it would improve the readability of a pattern if highlights were drawn as they were encountered…

There would always be the edge cases then - which developers have to consider - where a ZL change occurs, say going from 32LPB to a lower one - but the change happening on the 19th line. This wouldn’t really be possible to display properly… I guess a compromise then would be to simply “reset” the highlight whenever the ZL is encountered. Simple = good.

My question is, people who use this a lot, how do you wrap your workflow around this? Do you send the changed beat into a separate pattern, or just learn to see things properly anyway?

Generally speaking, patterns are great for “re-booting” the grid/notation/markup/whatever.

So, if you are creating a mess (good or bad) then, yes - clean cuts into a separate patterns +1