Renoise Scripting Terminal And Editor?

Hi there, I’m reading on some places about a scripting and editing terminal for Renoise but I can’t find anything like it on the tool page, nor on the Renoise site itself about it. Where and how do I get it? :D

https://code.google.com/p/xrnx/

2 Likes

Whooh, thanks bro!

Well, just an option in the prefs for enabling developer mode would be quite a bit more comfortable.

See !Introduction.txt in the XRNX reps please.

+1. I would definitely approve of not having to go google how to get Scripting Terminal & Editor enabled - and then mucking around Library/Preferences/Renoise to find Config.xml and then find a line.

Having Scripting Terminal & Editor Visible/Hidden in the preferences would be much appreciated!

You just have to change it one time though, right? And on the other side, ST&E is probably not for every renoise user!
Anyway I’d rather they focus on awesome IDE techniques for it, like on this page :P

Well yep, but having to go through the rigmarole of doing it everytime you install onto a new machine is a bit tedious. What if you can’t remember and are stuck without the interwebs and can’t look it up?

I don’t know what then, I just remember somehow. Around the same time I install renoise, I also install vim. Then in renoise I go to Help>Show Preferences Folder… Then I right click on Config.xml, then edit in VIM. Then I /search for showscr or something like that. Change false into true, done. On windows sometimes I’m lazy and I just modify the one shortcut that I use to have --scripting-terminal or something as an argument.

Also: if you really do a lot of (re)installs I would advise to back up your Config.xml anyway, just like the KeyBindings.xml, TemplateSong.xrns, etc, it’ll save you a lot of time right?

Anyway, maybe renoise 3 'll have ST in prefs. Who knows.

I tend to save the whole roaming sub folder these days, makes life easier unless anything got corrupted.

I tend to save the whole roaming sub folder these days, makes life easier unless anything got corrupted.

how? dropbox?
symbolic link? something like that?

how? dropbox?
symbolic link? something like that?

Just manually before a windows re-install or after its been a while, which reminds me…

I just save to an alternate drive or dropbox then copy the whole folder over after the fresh install. I guess I could set up something with Syncback free, but it seems like overkill.

Also: if you really do a lot of (re)installs I would advise to back up your Config.xml anyway, just like the KeyBindings.xml, TemplateSong.xrns, etc, it’ll save you a lot of time right?

Well, I’ve taken to saving KeyBindings to Dropbox. Kinda gave up on doing some sort of weird curl + echo script to write to Config.xml to force Scripting-editors to be visible.

Launching the Renoise executable with the argument “–scripting-dev”

Can ya gimme instructions on how to do this. I never got this to work.

I went to Terminal, and launched . /Applications/Renoise_Reg.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise --scripting-dev

and the topbar didn’t even change to show Renoise, and exiting the app and returning via regular load did not have scripting stuff enabled.

It is a switch in the Renoise config file now, isn’t it?

Can ya gimme instructions on how to do this.

How to Enable the Scripting Developer Tools in Renoise

It is a switch in the Renoise config file now, isn’t it?

it can be done in two ways, but config.xml can’t be modified while renoise is open, and i couldn’t get the --scripting-dev to actually work.

Can ya gimme instructions on how to do this.

How to Enable the Scripting Developer Tools in Renoise

Edit: Sorry, I missed the bit where you mentioned trying to invoke this via the command line, not by editing the config.

Edit 2: I think you can find some answers here: https://superuser.com/questions/16750/how-can-i-run-an-application-with-command-line-arguments-in-mac-os

Maybe you can help, i have no idea how to do this?im on windows btw, all i want to do is add a synth definition for guru that another user has made

Go to the renoise menu, go to “help” and then “show preference folder”. In the file editor open “Config.xml” with a text editor. Edit line 61 (or so) from “<ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools>false</ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools>” to “<ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools>true</ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools>”. save the file and reopen renoise

1 Like