New Tool (2.8): scl to xrni

Thanks for your reply.

+1

Great! If it’s not too much trouble to implement that, it would be really useful to me.
Try out different tuning schemes for whole songs …

Seems like it will not be as straightforward as I hoped, it will need some kind of GUI to do it effectively, I’ll have a go when I have some free time.

Thank you for looking at the possibility of selecting multiple instruments.
If you get the time to do it, I would be grateful. I’m still playing around with your tool. It’s fantastic.

This is fantastic! Thanks very much! We all know trackers are great for micro-timing, great to see (and hear!) micro-tuning. I’m off to try it, but will it work to send MIDI too?

I hope more tools such as this, that allow you to get creative with harmony, melody, and so on, are integrated into future development.

Thanks dude, its more of an instrument hack so won’t work with midi, I’m not sure how you would do that anyway as you can’t send finetune via midi… maybe it could use pitch bend values?

Anyway, I agree it would be great to see this kind of stuff built in or made easier to code in future versions, being able to trigger samples from the api would be ace!

hi… is there some way of enabling configuration settings, so that after each re-scale, the “Preserve Loop Points” is run after the “Apply Scala Tuning” function?

Cos I’d definitely love to have access to that, feels like an extra click to accomplish something that could be set as default…

p.s. wonderful tool. i just tried my first scala file from the big archive and this is really refreshing.

Unfortunately not because this button cannot be accessed by the API:

post-4451-0-89198200-1360383141.png

This is enabled by default, and when that is the case the API doesn’t see any samples in slots beyond the first one. Once it is disabled then the samples slots can be accessed and loop points set.

What we really need are proper sample aliases and then this tool could be made a whole lot more elegant. For now its a minor annoyance but worth it for all those exotic tunings :wink:

Maybe this tool can help, it takes different approach so might work better for this kind of thing:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/microtuning-tool-for-3-0/41384

I use Renoise 3.0.1 with scl_to_xrni V1.60. I only get empty slices after applying scl_to_xrni to a sample. The tuning for the keys seems to work. What am I doing wrong?

I found it! After aplying the scl-file you have to press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[H] … :yeah:

interesting detail: the script doesn’t generate slices lower than D-4, regardless on the base-note I set. so the slices 0x46 to 0x77 are out of the midi note range (above 127). I tried to fix that in the script by changing the variables base_note and instr_basenote to lower values than 48 but that didn’t work. Is there a working solution for that?

now I’ve got it :dribble:

1. load a sample into an empty instrument

2. go to keyzone and click on drumkit

3. apply the scl-file

4. click [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[H]

and then the microtonal scale is applied across the whole keyboard :guitar:

now I’ve got it :dribble:

1. load a sample into an empty instrument

2. go to keyzone and click on drumkit

3. apply the scl-file

4. click [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[H]

and then the microtonal scale is applied across the whole keyboard :guitar:

Thanks so much for that tip, worked perfectly for me too! :yeah:

Does this tool still work okay with 3.1.0? I can’t seem to get sounds to happen when I run the tool as usual.

I’ve had to use the older Renoise version to use this tool, then I import the instrument into projects made in 3.1

I’m so greatful for this tool. thanks!

opens up a whole new… not one, but gazillion new harmonic worlds… this changes so much!

Would be sweet to have this updated.

Would be sweet to have this updated.

tool works in 3.1, but I guess it doesn’t auto-upgrade correctly so it needs some manual work to fix; changing a value in the tools manifest. You’ll need to enable the scripting terminal & editor in Renoise first ( https://forum.renoise.com/t/renoise-scripting-terminal-and-editor/33100),,)then open up the manifest portion of the tool and change whatever number is in between apiversion to 5 (something like; 5 ). Hit execute in the bottom right corner of the terminal to save and retry the tool.

Does anyone else have the problem of samples becoming very short after tuning them ?

Has anyone gotten this to work on V3.4.2? Could anyone supply any tips if so?
Would be such a dream to have it working. I’m new to Renoise btw.
thx

1 Like

Works fine here, can you select and open a .scl file or the tool wont show up at all? Can’t remember if it auto-updates correctly or you need to change the manifest file through the terminal to the latest api version? (Search the forum for enabling the scripting terminal, open up the tools manifest file, change api nr to 6 and hit execute in the bottom right to save changes)

Also if you don’t already know, you need to disable toggle this icon in the sample editor for it to work after loading up a .scl file;

1 Like