23.999 second limit for slices to phrase rendering?

Hello, I’ve just discovered an unusual limitation in the waveform/phrase editor.

It seems that no matter what I do (sample rate, bit depth or channels wise), there is some weird limit of 23.999 seconds for rendering slices to a phrase. Everything beyond that point will result in flattening of all slices to a single beat. So if LPB for slices is set to 4 - all slices will be rendered into mere four lines.

The amount of slices or their individual lengths also don’t play a role.

Furthermore, the number of lines also isn’t an issue. I have no problem getting all the way to 512 lines as long as the sample is below 24 seconds.

And it so happens I need more than that, so my question is, is there a workaround that would allow me to render a sliced sample of up to 1 minute long into a phrase or the main pattern?

Indeed, I tried with a long sample and all notes appear on the same line.

Cut most of the sample away, leaving 22s of audio and then it behaved like you’d expect.

As for temp workarounds, not really sure - I think there was a scripted predecessor to this native feature? Need to ask around.

Also, I could add the functionality to SliceMate. That tool lets you slice samples from within the pattern editor, essentially moving the slice workflow into the tracker. So I think it makes sense to have this functionality there as well.

Need to ask around.

“Slices to Pattern” is the one I was thinking of (thanks dblue):

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-7-2-8-slices-to-pattern/31593

@Medito: that tool requires you to set the beat-sync of the first sample - so, could be a limitation for you if you need > 512 lines ?

Also, I could add the functionality to SliceMate. That tool lets you slice samples from within the pattern editor, essentially moving the slice workflow into the tracker. So I think it makes sense to have this functionality there as well.

Gave it a try. Sounds like a good idea, but requires manual slicing. The Waveform editor helps a lot slicing samples and then automatically places them into a phrase, from where it’s just a matter of copy/paste to place them into pattern editor (which is what I intended to do).

That being said, I have encountered another weird behavior with SliceMate. Everytime I insert a slice using its GUI, it transposes the sample -12st, even after prior resetting to 0. But I tried it on the 1 minute long loop so maybe it has something to do with the internal editor limitation?

“Slices to Pattern” is the one I was thinking of (thanks dblue):

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-7-2-8-slices-to-pattern/31593

@Medito: that tool requires you to set the beat-sync of the first sample - so, could be a limitation for you if you need > 512 lines ?

I’ll give it a try. I work with the 512 lines limit on my mind so that’s ok :wink:

I’ll give it a try. I work with the 512 lines limit on my mind so that’s ok :wink:

Works like a charm! Just what I needed! Thanks a lot mate! Hugs and kisses :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.