Ableton Live Link integration

Rewire works great for routing Audio, but if Link would be integrated into Renoise, it would be perfect for slaving Ableton’s Timeline (and other Apps) to Renoise.<3

Edit: Or rather Bitwig, since it only supports Link and no rewire.

3 Likes

I would definitely use something like this, though at present I have a work around: I use Plogue Bidule vst to run Renoise as a rewire slave inside Bitwig (PC feature only for the moment alas)…this lets me lock Renoise to Ableton link, so I can sync Renoise to friends’ computers when we jam.
Of course, I have to use Bitwig to control the tempo/timeline. Other than that, it works pretty well for me

1 Like

FL Studio VSTi can use its ReWired device to bring Renoise sounds smoothly into Bitwig also. :smiley:

Rewire is great. It is such a bummer that Propellerheads (ahem, Reason Studios) is dropping their own classic technology while there is no competing alternative standard around to fill the gap. Guess we’ll have to make a new one.

2 Likes

@taktik please add Link :bowing_man:t2:

I’ve tested a lot of different combinations to sync hardware and software. Renoise is genius when it comes to interacting with Hardware. You can even slave it to a Hardware Drummachine and after hitting play it will correctly delay the incoming midi clock negatively to sync up after a few ms. The only problem is to now slave Ableton or another App/DAW to it. When Ableton in Rewire Mode, it disables VSTs and syncing via a virtual Midi Port is not working because Renoise assumes that a Midi Port is going out of the machine and so will apply latency delay to the clock/notes (as it should!)

That’s where Link comes in. Link is not all that great when it comes to syncing two different hardware devices since it doesn’t take hardware latency into account, but it can sync up playback of two apps and compensates for plugin latency one a single machine perfectly.

So if Renoise had Link and Ableton could slave to it, I would be in heaven. I could slave Renoise to my Hardware sequencer and have Ableton slave to Renoise in perfect sync to play live sets without the need for any hardware midi clock and without the need to do any ms calculations.

pplease :slight_smile:

I second this request.

Ableton Link is the name by the way.

1 Like

Definitely think this is a good idea.
Ableton Link is really easy to use and stable. You can rely on it for lots of interesting things.

Because every application is hopping on a shared clock you can use it to jam or record tracks on separate computers or devices and those tracks will sync up correctly later. In practice (and when this applicable for what you are doing) I’ve found it to be faster, easier and more stable than midi clock syncing or using rewire.

Ableton, Bitwig, Reaktor, Max and tons of other applications support it now.
And I was very interested to see that it’s actually supported in the newest version of Pro Tools

1 Like

Yeah Renoise needs this

1 Like

FL Studio is also going to integrate it at some point

Consider this my vote to put Ableton Link in Renoise.

I like to loop record guitar, synths and other bits alongside music I’ve been creating in Renoise. I’ve tried loop recording in Renoise which can work well to an extent, but it’s not ideal. It would be much better to have another daw like Bitwig to sync alongside Renoise to handle take style loop recording and comp editing. I’ve tried the rewire methods with both Reaper and Ableton and it just plain sucks!

If not then perhaps a native solution within Renoise - something akin to the Noodletrap tool but for audio, with instant playback of each loop pass and automatic fades at the end of recordings. Not sure how possible this would be though as I’m not a developer.

1 Like

Oh we’re voting? Then I vote for Ableton Link in Renoise as well! :slight_smile:

Just to back my vote a bit, here’s an impressively long list of software that supports Link: Link-enabled music making apps for iOS | Ableton let’s get the Renoise logo on that page too! :wink:

(Edit: for some reason the link says iOS, even though it’s for all platforms)

Yeah Ableton Link would be nice, was asked before:

+1 especially now that rewire is discontinued

i would appreciate it very muchos. i got a surface pro and ableton link runs perfectly fine on a pc on cable ethernet combined with wlan on the surface pro. it also runs on ableton/bitwig and bitwig/bitwig wihtout any initializing probs. would be nice if the devs got ableton link running on rernoise :smiley:

errr, Ableton link is already available in Renoise 3.4
look at homepage https://www.renoise.com/
Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 18.20.14

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 18.20.38

dafuq? i must be blind or so. can´t find that shit

ok, its well hidden inside the sync dropdown.

it reckognizes that there is a link, but its not triggering anything nor does it get triggered between a wireless surface pro and an ethernet pc, while it works flawless in any direction and combination of ableton live 11 and bitwig 4.
and renoise wants an asio driver, while the other daws working with wasapi too. so i gave it asio4all. didnt work as well

jack audio also works on windows, osx, and linux for anyone that doesnt want to wait for abletonlink in renoise