Another Renoise Native Competition?

It would be interesting to see what people would come up with in a competition focussing on old school sound effects made with single cycle waveforms and fast phrases…or new school sound effects made with single cycles and effects+modulation. A combination of both. A samplepack of unusual single cycle waveforms could be provided. Not necessarily just the usual sine, square, triangle and saw.

It would be a competition that could showcase what can be done with phrases and that would show just how little renoise needs to sound great ( just some single cycles ).

Its just an idea. I wont be entering, too busy with other things but I’d be interested to see that kind of stuff.

Maybe people are more up for breakbeat, Goan trance or drumnbass/jungle…big bass sounds and more modern sounding.

Anyway sound effects like these combined with effects chains and modulation could be nice :

might do well to just facsimile the dead dog. for whatever reasons, rly was pretty much conner’s and that for top notch smash hit compo success so far. and it’s been a long far, eh? no use beating a dead horse over spilt milk.

…so yea # whateva

…good luck with da nu # compo

&

Why

not

Make

A

#traditional

Jewish

themed

One

:walkman:

?

pl o i mean ok??

450 posts!!!

You could learn from kvr osc how to do a compo properly. The Moderators should be neutral und supportive, and not doing an ego show. The moderators also do not jugde. It’s not about them, it is about the work of the competitors. Then there must be some limiting rules, in this case renoise sampling is the limiting factor. There could be more. I would say the more clever limits, the more fun. Or you have no rules, I loved Conners compos, yet the lack of limitation did not improve it.

And then there must be some proper voting concept. At kvr Osc, the creators have to vote each other, anonymously, but you can also post a comment to share thoughts about the others work. Foreign voters have to written at least 100 posts in the forum, to ensure no one is summoning Facebook army. You give each track 1 to 5 points. This could be even expanded to categories like “overall mix, composition, emotion, power” or whatever. There is a official voting timespan, too, 15 days. Who is not voting all others will be disqualified with his work.

That is pretty much the job of the moderator, and he also shouldn’t post anything off topic or distraction.

EDIT: Oh, and after voting timespan, the anonymous votes will become public, of course. kvr osc even is publishing a neat excel spreadsheet, including tendencies!

? and stuffgoood points! so, anyuwaysyw kurt kobain was murdered and also rock and rollllll and stuff

please hand over responsibility for the “renoise natives” game to somebody who is at least a bit serious about it and as well mature and motivated enough…to…just make a plan & then set the boat on the river, to watch it floating with grace into its haven…

why not make a round of #beatz and spread some good vibes. and leave the slandering to those who cannot love music. a foul mouth cannot sing with purest voice, with the muse wrinkling her beautiful nose and passing on her job having to face such a bad smell.

Can someone recommend a particularly memorable competition from the past ( apart from the mutant breakz competitions ) with really good tracks?

I want to listen to some renoise users tracks to get an idea for song structure and learn about stuff by checking out song files.

@Elohym, Stop sending me private messages about jewish people. So lame.

I dont understand why you come onto renoise forums, open 10 accounts, write complete shit about illuminati, pretend to be an indian guy, then use an account named after god of mormons to insult jewish people sarchastically. The shit is lame, like drunk hillbilly behaviour.

Sine waves only…

One single cycle sine only competition could be seriously cool.

You could use the no sample, DC offset and tuned ring mod alongside because technically still only one single cycle sine sample.

Also could tune the sine to harmonics like zer0fly’s example here :

https://forum.renoise.com/t/tuning-samples-to-harmonics/49162

might do well to just facsimile the dead dog. for whatever reasons, rly was pretty much conner’s and that for top notch smash hit compo success so far. and it’s been a long far, eh? no use beating a dead horse over spilt milk.

What do you mean? Conner is the Mutant Breaks guy, while it was kazakore who had the Dead Dogs going. I remember beating KURTZ in every single round…eh, i’m pretty sure thats what happened. (yeah right) :smiley:

Dead Dogs was the best, we had some really nice rules, one of my favorites was the round when we had to record all the samples ourselves. You can’t beat rules like, only use fart sounds, 1 track only and so on. :slight_smile:

Summer isusuallynot the best time for compos, so maybe it’s better to wait a couple of months?

Whattahell is goin on here???

Anyways, I liked the tracks from the first round and I was bit sad because I did not have time to take part or tell that I liked the tracks, cause topic was closed

Anyanyways, now I saw that there is new topic on this topic and I can tell You all that I liked the tracks from the first round and I really wanted be to part of it

Anyanyanyways, I still want to make music with U all, lets not scare away all the new/old users who want to make music

If we’re just talking about memorable compos, One Hour Compos on IRC were pretty sweet back in the day:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/one-hour-compos/24374

#OHC

Conner is the Mutant Breaks guy, while it was kazakore who had the Dead Dogs going.

Correct!

One single cycle sine only competition could be seriously cool.
You could use the no sample, DC offset and tuned ring mod alongside because technically still only one’s single cycle sine sample.
Also could tune the sine to harmonics like zer0fly’s example here :

https://forum.renoise.com/t/tuning-samples-to-harmonics/49162

Was a bit of a joke. In theory all waveforms are made of sines.

Another interesting compo a few years ago was the knockout competition, where you had to make a track within two hours, two and two against each other and winner qualified to the next round. Yet another compo where i’ve gotten my ass beaten. :stuck_out_tongue:

This might be a silly idea, but i was thinking, wouldn’t it be possible to make something like a “compo engine” as a tool? Something that could minimize the manual labour of arranging compos? If the tool was a simple rules poster and submit button that automatically uploads the track to a server or something?

I wont be entering because I’m busy with something else but a single cycle waveforms only competition could be pretty good from the perspective of someone who wants to open up the song files and learn things about tracking, as well as vote on the quality and merits of the style and songwriting of each entry. Also it would be a cool way to showcase the power of fast phrases being used to make trippy old school sound effects, as well as the power of effects and modulations.

Maybe not only a sine, but a bunch of single cycles.

I like the sound of music made with single cycles.

Its like the example below, I’m not really into the composition too much but I like the sound that he gets out of single cycles ( probably the snare is one of the only other samples, there are a few, resampling as well i think, but it sounds quite single cycle-y anyway ).

Yeah, I heard people joking about copywriting a sine wave at the time when people in courts were trying to decide how small a sample from someone elses work can be copywrited. I think they decided on one second, so chopped breaks under one second still dont need sample clearance as long as the order of the sequence has been changed. But everyone just ignores that anyway. People were joking that, if they copywrited a sine wave, any sounds in the universe being used in songs would need sample clearance payment to copywriter of sine wave first, because all sounds are made up of sines.

simple yet pretty effective #compo 4 renoise only could be:

One Synth Compo

USE:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1-by-ichiro-toda

ONLY!

Resample, Grab…RENOISE (:

But yea…whateva; Do the lonely Wang Tang funboi Chi!

:ph34r:

What do you mean? Conner is the Mutant Breaks guy, while it was kazakore who had the Dead Dogs going. I remember beating KURTZ in every single round…eh, i’m pretty sure thats what happened. (yeah right) :smiley:

Dead Dogs was the best, we had some really nice rules, one of my favorites was the round when we had to record all the samples ourselves. You can’t beat rules like, only use fart sounds, 1 track only and so on. :slight_smile:

Summer isusuallynot the best time for compos, so maybe it’s better to wait a couple of months?

oh yeah, that’s exactly what i meant. the dead dog thing and also conner’s thing had the best results and fun factors… the best ever, imo… i didn’t mean to make it sound like dead dog was his, i guess i clumsily tried to say but yeah also mutant breaks was good too sry man.

I found an interesting competition on fb :
https://www.facebook.com/events/1022336061250601/
The rules are the following :

[details=“Click to view contents”] SPEEDCOMP 32 - Make a track in only 30 minutes using the ten samples provided for download on the event page on the night. Any audio software is welcome to use to make your song. Make anything you like - no genres or approaches are out of bounds.

THE TIME LIMIT FOR SPEEDCOMP ENTRIES IS FIVE MINUTES.

After 30 minutes please stop arranging your Speedcomp and listen back for a rough mixdown and render. There is no point using more than 30 minutes as this exists to see what one can do with a strict deadline to finalise a musical composition. There are no winners in Speedcomp.

Upload your effort to your Soundcloud or other site, or if you’d like it put onto the Speedcomp Soundcloud, email entries to
speedcompentry@gmail.com

PLEASE MAKE YOUR TRACK DOWNLOADABLE IN CASE THE INTERNET AT THE RADIO STATION IS DOWN.
If you’d rather not make it available to the public for download, send it through via email.

The selector for Speedcomp 32 is Manton from Sydney, NSW. The ten chosen samples will be published at 7:30pm AEST on Friday the 13th of July and you have until the following evening to have your track played on Thematics Radio’s Speedcomp Special.

You don’t have to be awake or home at the time the samples are dropped, so feel free to make your track anytime over the next 24 hours to get on the show. [/details]
I think this could be easily transformed into a renoise competition since the tracker-workflow is already very fast :slight_smile:
what are your thoughts on this?

and i freakin love synth1 :wink: so sad that it has no linux port

simple yet pretty effective #compo 4 renoise only could be:

One Synth Compo

USE:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1-by-ichiro-toda

ONLY!

Resample, Grab…RENOISE (:

Sample packs or just using one VST… with or without being restricted to Renoise FX, my whole being says yes. I never make anything good, but I always love trying. :badteethslayer:

Personally, I prefer strict limitations in the way of samples and/or FX over a short time limit – but of course, the more compos, the better!

Let’s have them all… please?