Any Flat Earth supporters or believers here?

Here is a good article on the subject: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/swim-in-denial/201704/psychology-conspiracy-theory

An interesting factor that I didn’t mention earlier is that the tendency to believe in conspiracy theories might be correlating with “lack of humility”. A person that lacks humility will have a hard time coping with his own lack of understanding. This might provoke him to come up with simplified home made explanations to create a false sense of order - more comfortable than accepting that you don’t quite get it.

It’s already happened many times in this thread :slight_smile:

Also, after looking at some of the posts in this thread, I believe that there is a psychological mechanism of “false rebellionship”. People that feel like victims might be more prone to creating a context where they can experience themselves as “rebels” (in opposition to conventions) - thereby creating a false sense of regaining power.

Matter of #fact the Sun is also flat, same like the Moon.

We can prove this just by looking into the sky…so to prove earth being flat someone needs 2B on the Moon &

take pictures…which all show a Globe.

Problem solved :drummer:

Back 2 Da Music, please!

Here is a good article on the subject: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/swim-in-denial/201704/psychology-conspiracy-theory

An interesting factor that I didn’t mention earlier is that the tendency to believe in conspiracy theories might be correlating with “lack of humility”. A person that lacks humility will have a hard time coping with his own lack of understanding. This might provoke him to come up with simplified home made explanations to create a false sense of order - more comfortable than accepting that you don’t quite get it.

It’s already happened many times in this thread :slight_smile:

Also, after looking at some of the posts in this thread, I believe that there is a psychological mechanism of “false rebellionship”. People that feel like victims might be more prone to creating a context where they can experience themselves as “rebels” (in opposition to conventions) - thereby creating a false sense of regaining power.

@joule: btw not personal attacks(I am not that type of guy), just arguments as in arguments passed to your brain_function(). I wish your opinions were as useful as your awesome tools. Luv U.

So, ‘Rock is dead’ or ‘No one listens to jazz’ gets passed around as #fact except that you can walk into(if permitted entry) any noteworthy music college and get through University level courses for Jazz and walk into any pub to see a rock band. The bulk of the population don’t really pursue these things full time and hence it can be a perception developed as of the 1% who engage in such pursuits don’t exist as such.

Regarding pyschology, it’s another black box science becos no one objectively understand what the mind is or how it works fully so we are back to the ‘science’ versus omniscience argument. Taking cues from rock bands and their brand of loud banging music with just 3 chords, I assume they had teen angst issues and dad or mom issues too. Healthy dose of poverty and ‘so called rebellion’ that has made endearing art, as far as I can tell even if I hate rock for the most part (except Messhuggah). They often contradict each other, becos unlike music which has a universal framework, pyschology is just another man made topic in a quest to better understand himself. Like AI trying to figure out if it is concious, very tricky business.

Crackers changed the intellectual property industry and the overall path of commerce by their ‘rebellious’ anti establishment ethic.You know the free speech free beer thing… Open Source would not be there if rebel programmers like Stallman did not carry out their objectives and ideals. I read books by Dr. Gregory Peck who is a Harvard Medical School Psychologist or was becos he is not with us anymore and his books illuminate the dismal state of our understanding of things so far, while still engaging the reader in really deep subjects that are surprisingly humanitarian.

Also, as per your communication style, it’s very easy to parrot sources regardless of their merit like a bibliography copy pasted at the end of your ‘book’ except that the book itself contains nothing to support itself. Like a politician who snatches a baby from the audience the moment he hears a gunshot, thinking that he is going to be assassinated any second now and is actually ducking for cover. This is as far from being a rebel and more like a certified coward; a politician nonetheless. You get these types in very visible places too, nothing to go about in underground bunkers only. For a more information theory based analysis instance, increasing entropy in the data stream makes it more difficult to find useful data because randomness increases and patterns dissolve as we expect form a structured information source. However entropy analysis is real simple to implement and detect though, just take a statistical ratio summation of the data entities and take a log of the same to get a scaled value. For an 8 bit entropy test yours would be 7.9!

For a musical analysis instance, it’s like trying to explain diminished substitutions in Jazz by presenting Noisecore:) I got jazz books too…

‘Lack of humility’ is an interesting analysis when your last fallacy which I played with reeks of hubris and condescension to its core. It seems just having a list of fallacies is not enough, you have to read them too. Like a restaurant menu collection whose items you never ate in reality. It takes time to ‘digest’ so no need to gulp everything in one go. Remember you are human too and your fallacy fantasy of becoming God won’t come true anytime soon. So my summary would be #pretentious.

I take solace in classic literature so something comes to mind, because authors are primarily artists and also social scientists, they understand humans far better than an psychologist ever can, and write better than them too.

‘Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.’ - Mark Twain

Its hard to outdo Mark Twain when it comes to acerbic wit. He is the master of wit, one of the best. Some more gems.

‘It is easier to stay out than get out’.

‘I’ve come loaded with statistics for I’ve noticed that a man can’t prove anything without statistics’.

‘When we remember we are all mad the mysteries dissapear and life stands explained’.

‘Eloquence is the essential thing in a speech not information’.

‘A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way’.

‘Cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education’

‘Continous improvement is better than delayed perfection’.

‘The trouble isn’t that there are too many fools but that the lighting isn’t distributed right’.

Matter of #fact the Sun is also flat, same like the Moon.

We can prove this just by looking into the sky…so to prove earth being flat someone needs 2B on the Moon &

take pictures…which all show a Globe.

Problem solved :drummer:

Back 2 Da Music, please!

That is very good except that it’s not only the TV that produces images by employing illusion of movement to convey information, it is that the photograph itself is under scrutiny and question of its validity. If entire paintings can be forged successfully that can fool museum curators it’s easy to assume a photo of Earth is a way more outlandish proposition to deal with in terms of ‘validity’.

An unphotoshopped or un-artistic photo would be more of a proper evidence, but it seemed Googling for such images results in animations for the most part. So where is the evidence…

Back to music no doubt:)

If Earth was an infinite plane or say there are still more land area left to discover would it not be even more awesome !#wishfulthinking

Regarding pyschology, it’s another black box science becos no one objectively understand what the mind is or how it works fully so we are back to the ‘science’ versus omniscience argument.

I just had to read up to this point. Your ignorance is a bit too much for my taste… Are you oblivious to the fact that a lot of reproducible scientific experiments have been done even in the field of psychology/sociology?

I just had to read up to this point. Your ignorance is a bit too much for my taste… Are you oblivious to the fact that a lot of reproducible scientific experiments have been done even in the field of psychology/sociology?

Well you missed the quotes at the end and some entertaining parts on the middle. Sure,I read up too (and tested too) got my Myer’s Briggs type as ENTJ and IQ as 148. Also because my ring finger is longer than my index finger, I have very high testosterone, like the stock brokers at Goldman Sachs, which certifies me as a psychopath. :slight_smile: Also some works of Jung and Freud. Still learning …unlike you I suppose.

Hey still friends though, not trying to get into your skin or anything.

While there are real ‘coverups’ and deceptions they mostly occur in contexts in which there is a massive amount of money to be made.

When these kind of deceptive tactics are in use it is advantageous to flood the internet with all kinds of ridiculous conspiracy theories so that any kind of financial or ideological deception can be ridiculed alongside such things as ‘flat earth’ theory. For example, while the american military was testing drone technology it flooded the mass media with ‘alien’ and ‘ufo’ conspiracy theories.

One of the psychology experiments which has the most relevance in this time is the milgram experiment. It was an experiment about submission to authority.

[i]"

One of the most famous studies of obedience in psychology was carried out by Stanley Milgram, a psychologist at Yale University. He conducted an experiment focusing on the conflict between obedience to authority and personal conscience.

Milgram (1963) examined justifications for acts of genocide offered by those accused at the World War II, Nuremberg War Criminal trials. Their defense often was based on “obedience” - that they were just following orders from their superiors."[/i]

np!

Myers-Briggs is pseudo-science. And no, you haven’t scored 148 on a real IQ test (stanford-binet).

Also the ‘Intelligence Quotient’ tests do not measure intelligence.

Intelligence is a non-quantifiable quality. How can anyone really even define what intelligence is?

IQ tests simply measure time spent studying western school curriculum subject matter.

They can not test for emotional intelligence, artistic intelligence, musical intelligence, survival intelligence etc

An IQ score measures your ability to achieve on an IQ test. However, it’s an ability that seems to correlate with other skills and abilities as well.

So it’s actually a useful tool.

Concerning the argument that IQ test scores have been correlated with other skills and abilities, proof of significant correlation between IQ test scores and those skills and abilities would be required. Findings of significant correlations are debateable depending on what types of statistical analysis were used, the size of the test group, whether or not the findings are reproducible etc.

The condition of the people on & of this planet itself, shows pretty poor #IQ degree of those in charge…

…Maybe we should change that, before changing the shape of our world into discs, plates or spheres.

Just My 2 Centz.

before changing the shape of our world into discs, plates or spheres.

Apparently, big in the 80s…

akhenaton.jpg aten.jpg 8984152.jpg

flat-earth-flat-aliens.jpg

An IQ score measures your ability to achieve on an IQ test. However, it’s an ability that seems to correlate with other skills and abilities as well.

So it’s actually a useful tool.

IQ tests test a very narrow spectrum of human intelligence and like @lettuce mentioned, a partial picture is never better than the complete one. Going by your argument you would say that only college graduates who have had a well structured and tested education will have success in life, and every other evidence says the contrary -starting WITH the education system to begin with. A degree only quantifies how much we don’t know and makes us question
whatever we do know. So, Binet test itself is botched and gives only the supposed mental age to chronological age ratio which makes me about 70 years old by estimate…

Doing good in a controlled test by ticking checkboxes and doing spatial pattern tests and number sequences is mostly left brained stuff and does not test imagination, articulateness, creativity, stamina, endurance, productivity, discipline, manipulation and so many other facets of human behaviour which actually MATTER more in life rather than a paper that certifies or purports to a singular number.

It’s like telling someone your ‘net worth’ when everyone knows you can’t take a dime with you anywhere else, ohh and that it’s virtual fiat money to begin with, just like a paper certification. Talking about degrees when education itself is lacking.

Read up Mark Twain.

Regarding usefulness (to me that is), sure thing I ace every IQ test I give precisely becos I know what’s going on and the type of questions they have. Seriously you thought I was bragging on that ? :0

Also these tests have a very controversial history and even racism has been found invading such so called fertile grounds.

For a musician one could rattle all the notes of a scale or chord change and still not play one original phrase that glimmers of creativity and shows understanding. Math is not about how fast you can do basic arithmetic in your head or find the next missing number from a simple geometric series, but it’s about thinking creatively and engaging in pattern recognition in everyday events in life and looking to codify that. This as you would imagine takes time, rigour, inspiration (just like music) and patience. Your speed is useless in this area and no wonder so many school math whizzes lose their way into University when suddenly they discover that math is all about proofs and logical thought and requires more thinkng and less counting. Music is math because it too takes rigour, time, patience and of course inspiration just like math requires. (We have got to run our scales daily whether we like it or not…)

Myer’s Briggs done by modern analytics is way better ‘pseudo science’ than body language or astrology for that matter. At the very least modern analytics can successfully summarise something about someone. No wonder Google and Facebook are all about data analytics and human profiling. It’s basic numbers end of the day and computers help you to crunch it, nothing Voodoo about it. You can’t side totally with one test here and one there when they all come from a very similar source.

flat-earth-flat-aliens.jpg

These ancient alien guys are long debunked and are total buffoons for real…

np!

Myers-Briggs is pseudo-science. And no, you haven’t scored 148 on a real IQ test (stanford-binet).

So you scored higher or lower than mine? You can’t defend your fallacy becos it’s twisty matter now. If your score is higher it means that your test scores are just plain wrong (about your IQ). If you scored lower your tests are right but you are wrong about your IQ. Funny eh?

(…kidding ALLL the wayyy…)

How a robot passes an IQ test, checks all boxes perfectly in time and provides full proofs for every such decision, btw depends on the internet and the human made databases and it’s neural network wieghted models and pattern analyzers.

How a human can pass a similar test, just come with a pre checked answer paper for the question paper generated (which was rigged to begin with) and submit that faster than the robot when it is still busy turning it’s dials.

Result: The robot can’t compute how it is possible for a human to solve the paper so fast (because it does not comprehend manipulation, nepotism and corruption) and crashes due to an __EXCEPTION_MAKES_NO_SENSE flag set to 1. Unfortunately there is no handler for that so it’s futile to try to make a robot think anywhere remotely like a human. Infact such a manipulative algorithm could very well detect its own presence and try to manipulate its own manipulative algo to effectively cannibalize itself into nothingness or brain deadness.

It’s been long proven in the antivirus industry that the viral entity V cannot co exist with the anti viral entity V’ in the same space with total power, if both are equipotential. Fred Cohen’s papers are very illuminating on the whole aspect of math rigour applied to antivirus stuff, he coined the term Virus to begin with. It’s like the paradox of unstoppable force and immovable object and we go back in circles…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Cohen

Vic is pissed off?