Any Redux workflow examples?

Hey!

So I’m trying to use Bitwig+Redux for vocal-heavy tracks, which is quite harder than plain Renoise obviously. My main gripe so far is that I can’t move stuff between instruments as easily as I can in Renoise.

I was looking for YouTube videos of Redux workflows, because the Renoise workflow videos (primarily those of Groovin in G and Lil Kevo 303) helped my tremendously to get real shit done, so I was wondering if I could use this cheat code for Redux as well?

If not, then I’d love you to spill your secret sauce for Redux here;)

Thanks and happy April Fools’, although this is obviously not a joke, well not a funny one at last

1 Like

My personal Redux sauce is in this thread, but I feel like there are a million and a half ways to use the plugin. What’s stopping you from opening up multiple instances inside of BW, though? The more, the merrier!

I can also be easily bugged into making more redux videos, so if you have any specific ideas in mind I’d love to help if I can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bitwig redux head happy to help with any questions you have. First one I would say is build a chain preset with a note transpose set to -2 in front of Redux

Hey, good morning. Could you please elaborate on the transposition?

There is a two octave difference between BWS and Redux so key mapped C3 in redux is C1 on the BWS piano roll. so to get round that note transpose in front so C3 on the piano roll = C3 in Redux

2 Likes

Thanks! Had no idea about it. I’m not sure how to get a better idea of operating these two pieces of software together, so I’ll try throwing a couple of questions, I’d love if you answer those that make sense, I guess? :stuck_out_tongue:

1. How often do you use Redux vs other Bitwig instruments?
  2. What type of instruments do find most fitting for Redux? I’d assume drums and chopped sampled audio snippets?
  3. Do you try to jam as many instruments into one Redux track, or spread them over a couple of instances?
  4. How often, and how do you use patterns? Is this the main way you use Redux?
  5. Do you often utilize Redux output channels to use Bitwig effects on them? I guess that’d make more sense if you’re cramming as many instruments into one instance, which is what I’ve been trying to do
  6. Have you found success in mimicking a Renoise-in-Bitwig via Redux? What I’ve been trying to achieve is the comfort of Renoise’s keyboard-navigating combined with the comfort of editing vocals (and other non-chopped samples) in a timeline. Does your workflow look like that, or do you sprinkle Redux sporadically when it’s most fitting?

Again I’m sure these questions are overlapping and may be tedious to answer, I’m just very glad I found someone using the same combo and I’d love to save some time via your expertise – thank you very much :face_holding_back_tears:<3

1 70/30 Redux/BWS
2 Breaks and synths, bassline least
3 Separate redux instances etc 1 for each break, 1 for pad or pads,1 for bass and on. Think of a bank of s950s at your desposal :slight_smile:
4 All the time for breaks see my blog below.
5 Yes and multi modulations
6 I see Redux as 1 Renoise Instrument slot nothing more or less. Bitwig for everything else.

Redux breaks programming

3 Likes