:( Bad Midi Recording. Leaving Renoise Now :(

Well, I’ve also had massive problems recording MIDI and CCs (note-offs, missing notes/note-offs depending on LPB/BPM, mapping CCs to record them). I would prefer to get some temporal resolution, like it was discussed some years ago (zoom in pattern editor etc).

Renoise shines at programming but I would want to combine that with playing (mostly because I’m human and have the usual genetic trappings for that, hands and all).

Current best way is to use Rewire I presume. Maybe just don’t use plugins on Renoise’s end, instead Rewire the audio to the host and do processing there?

Renoise is a tracker…NOT A DAW!!! How hard is that to understand? They weren’t created to record audio/midi. It will never work like Cubase, and most people would prefer to keep it that way.

Did you try it, or are you just making that assumption? I find that Renoise adds very little to my CPU usage when I’m using it as a slave. (RAM, OTOH…)

look, the whole point here is: why the hell would you do a post like this? tell people you are leaving Renoise? what good is this knowledge to anyone?

there are already threads about the problem you are talking about (the note-off thing), they discuss the problem in detail and provide possible solutions. this is just self-pity manifested in a forum-post.

this, for one, is complete and utter bullshit. there are loads of people who do ‘serious music recording’ with Renoise every day. sure, they run into problems, but no DAW (or whatever you want to call it) is perfect. work around it. be creative. that’s what it’s all about.

Seriously, i understand why, but after comparing the midi to cubase, wow. I like to play fast notes like fast stabs in my bass notes sometimes, and this is a no go for renoise, its fine if you program. But seriously, i spent hours trying to play in stuff live and having to tediously edit the hell out of it made me pull my damn hair out.

Never said you cant do it if you edit, I just don’t feel like having to edit and program what I play live into my sequence. I hope that makes sense to you.

I have battery 2, so i don’t really need renoise for drums.

Also, recording pitchbends with renoise is pretty damn awful as well.

you joined in 2004 and NOW you’re leaving renoise??? crazy. i guess use something else until the next version

but yea as said before you just have to use more lbp :confused: dunno why anyone would use less than 6 anyway (which still probably isnt enough admittedly), would be nice if you had a lot more resolution if i’m understanding this correctly.

Ok. Well then. Bye hexfix93.

Yes and this problem is acknowledged by the Dev team as so many other midi related problems.
Each new version at least one Midi related issue is dealth with.
2.7 came with:
-2 more master inputs above the 2 existing inputs
-Control instruments with dedcicated controllers (above the four available master inputs)
-Being able to chain instruments
-Being able to dedicate instruments to specific tracks with dedicated controllers
-An omni-channel listen mode for midi in

In the past versions updates, the midi control device got overhauled and allowed pitchbend and pressure channel control to be automated.
Aftertouch support got implemented.
Scripting allowed better control of devices with midi feedback support.

There is always more stuff that requires better support and this is being done in several stages. Rome wasn’t build in a day.
Some problems can be circumvented because Rome still also ends up with the many roads that lead to it. (I already gave you one for the staccato recording problem)
If things cannot be done in Renoise, perhaps another program on the other side of the ReWire can do it for you, the rest is simply having patience or count untill ten and breathe slowly if you have troubles keeping it. Solutions will come when they will come. The instrument section now has been touched and there is no way back in stalling this area anylonger.I have no doubt that the related pattern editor options have to be aligned to these changes as well.

…if you are trying to use the quantize function while recording i can see where you may run into issues. when i record drums into renoise i never use quantize…renoise CAN track a press roll spot on!!!..the velocity tracks great as well… it picks up all dynamic subtleties and works great for free time style recordings.

Seriously,

I simply don’t share the same point of view. I use Renoise and lots of other music softwares/hardware solutions. I never felt obliged to work only with Renoise. I never said to myself “I leave for ever” or “I stay for ever”. Renoise it’s not a woman, it’s just a tool. Like everything Renoise has its pros and cons.I use it because of the pros and don’t use it because of the cons, that’s all. A serious musician after all will use the best tool for the best musical result. If you think that Cubase is adapted to your musical project man, go on, and use Cubase. No problem. I think that Renoise will help you when you’ll need a very precise (nearly granular) control on the music mix and execution. There are music styles (electronic break beats with lots of effect,s, with fast BPM), that are simply impossible to perform by human beings, and on this point Renoise is better than Cubase.

I also play with a nice MIDI keyboard all the time (m-Audio OXYGEN). My best musical ideas come during live midi playback. I often record live all of them, and Renoise gives me quite good results. Of course if I start my recordings with an inappropriate pattern resolution, reworking my MIDI recordings with Renoise will quickly become a pain in the ass (because of wrong note placements in the pattern grid). But with the right pattern resolution I don’t have to perform any big rework of recordings man.

I must say that I’m not a keyboard god, so sometimes I have to quantize my recordings. And I’m satisfied with nowadays’ Renoise’s quantization.

[b]But when I need more “precision” and a human touch for my stabs or fast sound mixtures:

• I increase the pattern resolution with the Line/Pattern & the Pattern Speed (LPB) params.
  • I put the CHORD MODE ON
  • I put the Q button OFF (auto-quantize off)
    Then Renoise displays precise “Delay” values in the Delay column. During further playbacks, note delays and velocities are the right ones, man.[/b]

I find that the chord mode and the delay column are really usefull in a tracker. I’ve tested lots of trackers and believe me Renoise’s the best one on this point. I’ve also read the other threads dealing with a note-off bug. Bug [b]that only happens because of inappropriate pattern resolutions.

[/b]Frankly if I don’t use Renoise and for example if I use Fruity Loops instead or Ableton Live, this is not because of this “bug”, this is just because I think I need to renew something in my style, and find other sources of creativity ; a different interface simply leads me to different choices in the process of musical creation.

1 Like

The thing is, Renoise is NOT music RECORDING app, it’s music programming app.

1 Like

Suva: spot on, and In the past that is how I did most things. And its cool, but man I like to play stuff in as well, and cubase is better for that. I hope I can figure out a happy balance between the two apps cause I work so much faster in renoise, better workflow for sure.

Well I have written over half my lp in renoise, so it looks like I will finish this lp in renoise, and where i need complex midi, i will rewire and bounce down form cubase and import sample into renoise and do this pain in the ass way until i finish the lp.

As far as Rome being built in a day. Umm. How long has renoise been out? How long has cubase been out? Granted that is not a fair comparison cause the companies and products are different, but still, a lot of time has passed now. I do understand how hard this is, and I bet none of the renoise programmers are rich. Forgive my impatience. I am in the middle of a project and pulling my hair out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cuuRG6-IT8

you just keep saying that, over and over again, which makes me wonder if you’re not simply trolling this thread for lulz, which I honestly think you are.
also because a strong odour of lameness permeates these typical ‘complaints’ - oh, i can’t do that here, but i can do it there - coming from someone registered from 2005? come on! in case you didn’t know, trackers were never intended for those with little or no programming\typing skills in the first place, while Cubase was.

and from my xperience, the amount of time you spend mouseclicking in Cubase equals the amount of time you spend typing in Renoise square rooted.

well, there are handy machines for that as well, but their control buttons are complicated ^_^

Trying to record live keys with LPB set to 4 is like trying to draw mona lisa with 32x32 pixels. The result can still be interesting, but a higher resolution means more freedom of expression.

I’m thinking about trying to adapt to 6/12 LPB, always having been a 4 or 8 LPB person myself. But musically speaking, 6 or 12 makes more sense

God created the universe at 24 lpb, it is the chosen lpb.

1 Like

Not only that, i suspect Taktik did most of the work alone for years. During the transition from Noisetracker to Renoise, they started with three, but i didn’t had the idea that Phazze or Pulsar stayed long on the job (i know for one of both, the private live demanded more). For the initial Mac port, Taktik had help from Simon. Only since the past two years the amount of developers expanded to a total of four.
I guess Cubase wasn’t maintained by at most one developer.

Also, Cubase has been out since the 80s…

And I’m down with the ladies.

1 Like