Beat Slicer

Reading this over again, I’ve come up with a reasonably simple idea that might work:

Slices should be aliased to samples.

Instrument XX is assigned a special “sliced” flag. For that instrument, sample 00 is the control (i.e the full sample, with slices), samples 01 to XX are aliases assigned to slice bars (the vertical lines | that you can move around).

Three cheers for me? Booooooo…

The screenshot as drawn by Happy Milkshake Man.

In other words, instead of “Generating drum kits” the lines are aliased (shortcut, symbolic link, etc) to the samples. So all the cutting happens in Sample 00. You can assign the line positions to 01, 02, 03, XX. If the lines move, that’s ok. It’s just an alias.

Any news on this?

a big fat +1 here!

^Same… +1

I’m re-suggesting this 2 year old thread because I went looking for precise sample offset and found out it doesn’t exist today. Seems like a pretty basic feature - but then again I’m not a programmer.

For me, I think I’d find it more useful when using vocals than for breakbeats, but in any case, seems like a good feature to have.

Slicers are a pretty common daw feature these days and renoise really is a DAW with a tracker interface.
I’m all in favor of a slicer, with the ability to export to groove templates. Would be very cool. I’m using FL Studio for this stuff right now for groove stuff, or Kontakt for general sampling.

+1 for this beast! Many pluses.

Just press the ’ generate drum kit ’ button in the instruments editor …all the samples /slices are nicely laid out for you on the keyboard range

User defined sample offsets kthx. I’m sick and tired of 09xx’s crappy resolution, and I’d love to be able to non-destructively map sample offsets to the keyboard.

My explication made more sense with the screenshot on page 1 that has now disappeared.

So yeah, user defined sample offsets is what I want too.

I would really like to see this implemented. It would make so many things easier. Sample offsetting would be more accurate, and it would be fantastic for remixing.

I usually manually slice up my loops, but I find myself needing to keep them separate instruments in order to retain flexibility. This takes up a ton of space, but a slice command would eliminate the need for doing that.

I’m definately with Conner_Bw and BYTE-Smasher on this, user-defined sample offsets is an excellent solution, just drag the lines to the start of each beat, it’d be perfect :)

Somebody, years ago, made a passing mention of this, but if you chop up a loop in Recycle and then export it as an akai instrument, Renoise will import that folder as an instrument where every slice is mapped to a key (once you Generate Drum Kit). This is good enough for most usages where all you’re looking for is precise cutting of a break.

However, it lacks two features that were mentioned:
-It robs you of the ability to repitch each sample (unless you copy the sample to a new Instrument, which is pretty easy, after all)
-It’s a destructive process. But in 2009 when you can buy a terabyte hard drive I don’t know how much that matters.