Beat Slicer

to be fair, i defently see somthing like a beat slicer in one of the next renoise releases! i really do see it! :) :)

much needed + very useful.
also gives more reasons to stay in renoise editor…

great idea ++++

Yes. I think Renoise should become at some point a bootable .iso with its own OS so it’s really the only software you need. I’m totally serious, too.

+1 from me too.

Great idea!
NEED THIS for a long time.
Currently i have to use external beat slicers, but offcource they don’t save samples inside .rns file, and sometimes i loosing that samples on harddrive :(

+100!

Hope we get it in next version :w00t:

Update!

EDIT… better?

The highlight around the slice is way too big and distracting. The other version you did was better and cleaner looking. :)

:)

Hi, trackers!

I think the best thing is to active brand new command: SABC
where
S indicates slicer
A is number of certain slice which will be played
(for each sample there is possible maximally 16 slices - 0 = 1st slice, F = 16th slice).
BC inner position in certain slice for the best possible fitting (like in 09xx)

In the sample editor it was then possible to switch on the slicer (as you can see in other posts).
After that you could choose number of slices (1 - 16).
Then equally distanced sample sectors (slices) appeared.
Of course you could change measure of each sector.

In the certain track for example command S1AA means:
play 2nd slice (second box of slicing) on the position AA (in this second box).
(if the slicer is switched off he automatically turns on and produces equal distances and plays 2nd slice).
This is (I think) terribly good for very long samples and this is just the main problem why you want
beat slicer - because of long samples - they are not really good sliced with 09xx.

On the otherside you are restricted by only 16 slices (= 15 dividing points). But who needs more?
I think it is enough.

The addition can be with generating drumkit map.
There could be special command for example “slice for map” (right clicking mouse on certain sample)
which slice the sample exactly you slice it before (or equal slices if you have no changes before).
Moreover 0 dividing points mean exactly the original sample as element to drumkit map,
1 diving point means 2 samples derived from original sample as elements to drumkit map etc.
You could make drumkit map a save it to *.rni.

As you can see it is generalization of 09xx because S0xx means exactly 0 dividing points so you
search suitable position 00-FF on the whole sample.
So in the future you will not need to use 09xx - you will simply use the BeatSlicer.

I hope you understand my bad English and my suggestions.

GOD BLESS YOU! ;)

I don’t think that’s enough at all. 256 might be enough… and 4096 would not be too many if there was an option to chop a sample into N slices automatically (and to subdivide slices!!).

Just look at it this way: with 3 digits for paramters you can have either
16 slices and 256 inner positions
256 slices and 16 inner positions
4096 slices and no inner positions… and if you then want to have “best possible fitting” you can divide the sample into (number of slices)*(“inner position accuracy”).

Drumloops are not everything: what about marking up every individual word in a 60 minutes speech and such stuff? Don’t repeat the “640k of RAM is enough for everyone” mistakes of the past… :)

:eek:

you must have like a breakbeat which is an hour long :drummer:

which one is it? :dribble:

Well, Johann. I understand you.
I want only to control BeatSlicer via keyboard commands in track editor - so you want.
Yes, I have got only 4096 positions and for me and my compositions it is more than good.
(I do not operate with long samples).

If you want more slices, there could be again mentioned old model 0SBC where parametres BC
could be dividing points in sample editor and between panning and volume column there should be
slice column which value means position in certain area (our area is BC) of division.
I think 256*256 = … points is pretty much even for your 60 minutes speech!!! :lol:

I think there could be also posibility to multiply points in each area.
My problem is I need references to each point of division in order to control in the song. That is all.

And do not equate me with Bill G. :( - I am poor and unknown student. ;)

Hey, it’s not that I think 256 would not be enough, just that 16 would be a bit on the short side…

:D

… yet generally I do think Renoise could do with finer resolution/bigger value ranges for a lot of things …

No… but why waste resolution when you can have it? Should the effect column ever get expanded, why shouldn’t all effects use as much resolution as possible? If you don’t want the resolution, just ignore the last few digits… if the last two digits where a bit smaller for example, it wouldn’t even have to be total horror GUI-wise…

Beat slicer: yes please!

My main problem with Renoise at the moment is bouncing down chopped breaks…

Let me explain. You have a break that you have chopped, rearranged and effected, which you then bounce down (for CPU or whatever reasons). It’s not quite tight enough so you rechop it and play with the envelopes, adjust the eq on each slice, then you bounce it again again. Now, if you decide that you want to ‘undo’ something at the original stage you have to go back and change it, then rechop the second stage AGAIN. If there was a beat slicer it would simply be a case of rerendering twice.

I know I shouldn’t need to go back like this, but I often need to change EQ and other settings. A beat slicer would make life so much easier… Plus, when experimenting with layering breaks there wouldn’t be the tedious process of resequencing the breaks back into the sequencer.

Now, if each slice had it’s own loop and envelope, (that wasn’t as slow and worked in ms) Renoise would be complete and I would be in heaven!

If anyone knows a simple way to chop, eq, and envelope break slices without making destructive choices please let me know!

:drummer:

Ok, but then you must completely rearrange all the effects and maybe change look of the whole Renoise.
(new conception of sample editor, track effects, envelope editor).
Simply new generation - high resoluted Renoise. I agree.

For example it would be very good for example higher resolution for retrig note (I terribly miss it)
or volume (for turning down smoothly the song with trend to eternity) and other effects.
You could also choose which level of retrig you want (for example 256 retrig levels between 0E01 a 0E02).
Special editor for it - Effect Editor on each effect.
Or am I wrong? Or, is it in Renoise, already? :blink:

Maybe, it is topic for another discussion.

I also welcome the idea to use track effects, also undo/redo operation, loop etc. for each slice. :w00t:

Basically i guess that everyone said it all. I agree with Dblue though, let’s keep it the simple as possible because that’s simplicity and swiftness are the essence of Renoise right? :)

I add only one more little thing to add. What about a meta device that allows a person to “randomize” a little bit more the slices sequence. Like “reversing”, “playing 2 a the same time”, “tick offset value” (instead of the usual09XX) and even who knows, a “internal arranger” or something like it…

…the chances are infinite as oposite to the programmers patience… :P

yeah, i think it’s about time renoise get’s a slicer of some sort, hell! even orion has one now http://www.synapse-audio.com/orion-slicer.php

hehe, even my yamaha A3000 has one!

There’s another post I just responded to, talking about the need to edit multiple sample’s basic parameters. For me, the slicer would negate that need as I wouldn’t have cut-up breaks in grouped intsruments anymore, and they would be controlled by one set of values. (I think as Dblue mentioned earlier). Perhaps a slice parameter box would be cool too, just so you could apply individual pitch/volume/panning (and perhaps envelopes etc?) to each slice.

Hmm,

This is an interesting idea. If there were such thing as a beat slicer inside a tracker, then I think it should not be implemented before there were such options as: overlapping slices, individual loop & envelope settings, (envelope mode should be selectable: either master envelope for all slices or individual envelope for more intense editing) & a stretch-tool for a selected slice…

Then there is one more problem, how to affect the pitch of a selected slice if the slices are mapped on keys already?

edit: Milkshake man, have you tried to chop the loops like this → “paint selection in loop” ctrl x → go to next instrument → ctrl+v → and repeat this process until you have sliced the whole sample?

For me, the only thing missing right now in Renoise is some sort of master tune button for multiple samples and maybe a master envelope for a selection of multiple samples… Evetything else related to loop mangling besides the master envelopes and master tune is so much easier to do in renoise than using a slicer. This is actually one of the things that keeps me still bouncing wheter to purchase renoise or stick with cubase sx.

hmm,

…or is it already somehow possible to affect multiple samples parameters in Renoise? such as tune of multiple samples?

+1

Would fix the issues with 09XX, which is too imprecise with long samples, flat out. It simply isn’t good enough for specifically this issue; chopping up beats.

First off, i’m totally for SABC, totally against mapping it to notes. Lose pitch control? Are you out of your mind?

I’d like some clarifications:

Let’s say i trigger the first slice (say, the kick). Does it stop at the end of the slice, or does it play through to the next? If so, how do envelopes play? Do envelopes also slice, or do they retrigger with every slice? Is this behavior per slice, or is it global for all of them?

How does it handle chords? This methodology basically means you can’t double a kick from a sliced beat with a snare from the same beat. Unless you would have columns like this:

C#4 00 00 S000 S100 S110

Which would be fine by me, to a certain extent. Or you could just do it across multiple tracks, but bybye chords.

How does loop work with slices. Are loop settings per-slice?

I can see a ton of complications here that i would not want to program, but good idea nonetheless.

Personally i manually slice my beats into individual instruments, if i even work with breaks in the first place. If you reach the point where you program your own shit, slices would probably be obsolete in the first place.

Worst that can happen is the boys spend ages implementing something that will never be truly good enough.