BEATBATTLE 2 STARTS!

Beatbattle page - as on the top of this thread…

Everything is there I guess…

battle ENDS : 23.04.2003

9 days to go, so get well soon ;)

dude, have you heard the samples for this time around? :blink:

it’s quite a challenge! for me, at least…

sure i have, but it’s quite big sample pack with “easy to use” sounding. and 2 megs limitation is quite big, i think 1 meg could be maximum here…

well i guess i just suck :)

and 1 meg is way too small; i’ve only used a small percentage of the samples and somehow my song is already 1.1 - and i’ve only done about a quarter (or less) of the song. compresses to 300k.

pattern data in RNS files seems to take up a lot of space.

if it compresses to 300k it’s fine… as long as it’s not more than a meg compressed

so that’s the new size rule? i much prefer it. thanks :)

:huh: hmmm… yes :) I suppose 25 Mb of final releasepack should be light enough to make it easy on modem-users…
:blink: Uh… around 25 last time, at least…
I guess if ther’s any way to get to know how many of you are taking part to this… :P

yeah. it’s definitely the way to go. i’ve worked more on the song, it’s now about 3.5 megs, but still compresses to around 300k.

:blink:

I played around with the sounds yesterday and did a little template for a song so I guess I will be in this time aswell…

Parsec, I’m sorry that I misundersttod you in my last post in the previous beatbattle-thred ;) Forget everything I said… :D

I also thought some of the submissions were far from hip-hop and it seemed that particular imposed requirement didn’t mean anything when it came to voting.

Also, regarding that gentleman who is able to produce polyphony with his mouth. AMAZING.

Are any of you Razel (sp?) fans? Some of his beat-boxing definitely sounds like he is able to product simultaneous sounds with his mouth. Unless he pre-records certain aspects and simply beatboxes over it. hmmm…

Celsius - Are you the same “Celsius” that was producing the excellent jungle mods from years ago on the Amiga?

Hi!

Celsius, since you’re not arranging this beat battle, does this mean you’re gonna take part of this contest?

:)

Just curious

~Dufey

PS: I really do like the 1 mb compressed limit, as this is the maximum amount of data hotmail is allowed to send.

:D

Yes, Trepain… I know and appreciate Rahzel…
Even if what he does is not exactly “two notes” but one note and one noise. In short, for those interested, beatbox does not creates notes a part from some bassline you might want to pull in…
Second point worth being known about beatbox is that it’s something you’re supposed to do with a mic… or at least… Rahzel’s tricks wouldn’t work without a mic.
What you hear like a -BOUM- Bassdrum… is nothing more than a whispered “PUH”… the air hitting the membrane of the mic does the rest.
Now you understand that it’s absolutely normal for anyone to let air out from mouth and at the same time “hum” some note…
What is amazing in Rahzel is the coordination he has, he surely practiced a lot! :)

Sometime you might feel like Rahzel is doing more than what he is actually doin… that happens because our brain “Builds back”.
You surely know “If you mother only knew”, one of the most nasty Rahzel’s tricky tunes…
When he starts with the drums after singing for a couple of time you just believe you heard the words again… most of em are reduced and covered by the loudest sound on the same line… one truly nasty trick used by old amiga musicans as well…

so it comes out that
“If your mother only knew”
is pronounced by Rahzel like…
“PUH-yo-CHA-ther-PUH-oon-CHA-y-knew-PUH”
That definitely sounds like he’s both singing and doing the drums…

Great timing. Cool style.
A must listen!
:D

trepain : my past catches up with me once more … yes it my protracker/dnb era! glad to see some ppl still remember ;)

dufey : yep i’m entering this time! My entry isnt finished yet but it’s past the 50% mark i would say :)

Parsec -

: Even if what he does is not exactly “two notes” but one note and one
: noise. In short, for those interested, beatbox does not creates notes
: a part from some bassline you might want to pull in…

How interesting. I wasn’t quite sure if it was simultaneous or not. He is taking advantage of the small gaps between the actually beat itself. Sounds like TDMA and how it inserts callers within the silence on a channel of other callers on a wireless network…

:Second point worth being known about beatbox is that it’s something
:you’re supposed to do with a mic… or at least… Rahzel’s tricks wouldn’t
:work without a mic.

I will try and post a link to an animation of two individuals who are in SOUL PRO. A live performance was taped and they beatbox together and really compliment each others skills. I have heard both of them beatbox by themselves and they are amazing. It’s large, but worth it. Perhaps I can send it to you via ICQ? You would enjoy it seeing you like Rahzel.

I used to be amazed when I was a kid listening to the Fat Boys…

:“If your mother only knew”
:is pronounced by Rahzel like…
:PUH-yo-CHA-ther-PUH-oon-CHA-y-knew-PUH"
:That definitely sounds like he’s both singing and doing the drums…

I especially enjoyed the part where he is beat boxing doing the
James Brown hu hah.

:yeah:

rahzel is definitely an amazing man. but i don’t think there’s any mystery behind what he does, it’s just impressive how extremely well he does it.

i’ve always been surprised when my friends are impressed when i’m just humming stuff randomly - usually i’m just making up simple basslines, but doing a simple beat as well. when they inevitably ask how the christ i do it (i don’t even do it very well), the way i explain it is by saying that it’s no more complex than saying a word like “store”, which uses both a percussive sound (“st”) and a vowel sound (“ore”).

i think rahzel does it the same way, just with a faster mouth than ANYONE ON THE EARTH. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Celsius - What a small world.

Something finally clicked when I was reading one of your posts and I decided to do a google search. I noticed a collection of your songs on Aminet.

I started using NASP to just trigger samples in the early 90s. I then was sequencing entire songs in Audiomaster and moved on to DSS and at some point Octamed. Ram was so expensive back then (g)

I picked apart many of your songs. You made some amazing drum patterns and I studied them for quite some time when I first started to dabble in drum n bass.

I was used to composing house, industrial, rave, etc.

I even remember a situation when someone I know tried to pass a song off as their own and they totally ripped one of your patterns! I recognized
the arrangement and the samples used to make the break.

Good work. I cannot wait to hear your current productions.

RESPECT! :yeah:

hahaha! :D

this is way better than my way of describing it :P

called one track echo …

you make a melody with a short sound (like a bell) and use the empty spaces to play echoes of earlier notes, and the human ear fills the echoes of the other notes. its a nice trick, I did in a 32k xm competition once and everyone was stoked. (poor kids … hehe)

Trepain:

Have you ever been to www.shapermusic.com ?

Those songs are made by Celsius… i was stunned !!!

~Dufey

hi fellas,
as i’m also participating this beatbattle, i got a few (minor) questions concerning it.

1. it is said that all entries will be put online anonymously. does that mean that all text will be erased from the instrument fields which could relate to the authors name/alias or will those fields generally be purged of all text to a blank space?

2. am i going right in the assumption, that all .rns files will remain anonymous when they’re released to public and therefore spread all over the net… ?

3. where are we supposed to write down our name? only inside the email which has the song attached?

4. do the submissions have to be compressed? if so, what format? (zip, ace, rar, etc.?)

5. who decides if the respective contribution matches the required theme?
    is it possible to get disqualified for subjectively not matching it?
    imho, almost every sequence of sound or even noise could be considered as a “soundtrack” for the predetermined theme, which would mean that there are no requirements which have to be complied style/genre-wise, right?

i apologize if some (all?) of my questions might sound a bit futile…
…but i’d really feel more comfortable to have some answers :rolleyes: