Beatbattle2 Voting time...

to me some of the enrtries indeed sound like FT releases NOT Renoise. <_<
But this is only my inmpression.

Rondomat

Hmm, the sample pack is not an argument: One can modify
the samples a lot, resulting in a complete different sound.
Using the internal FXs it can become a real good mastered sound.

Taking lo-fi sources and producing GOOD mastered music using
an inexpensiv tool - hehe, this is the way the Renoise community should argue and campaign itself. B)

I mean, listen to the original sample pack and then to the results.
I really was impressed! (Not talking about my entry :P )

Rondomat

Of course, we were somewhat restricted not to use any external VSTfx/VSTis. But taking part in the compo (respecting the compo rules),
and trying to come out with a GOOD track, the internal Compressor
was a good choice for me.
Ok, usually I use VSTfx in Renoise (e.g. the digital fishphones master tools),
so I don’t need an external tool for that.
But, you are right it’s a personal taste.

Rondomat

I had the same impression. It was more Demo styled than the last one. Also there where some entries with the “Amiga/Ft2” pitch/09 mode on. A sign that it was started in FtII and then converted in Renoise :)
But I must also admit that I had problems with the samples, and didnt participiated at the end.

hm i hope i dont win this compo.
i am verry busy man and i dont have time to arrange a new beatbattle.
not that i think i have a chance to win though :)

Yes, and this is ofcourse… …a good thing!

Why don’t you take your fancy professionally mastered music elsewhere city boy. We don’t take kindly to your type around here.

:)

I liked BB2 better than BB1. There was more diversity, better sound quality and yep, better songs. I found BB1 quite boring to listen too because everyone (with a few exceptions) used the samples in the exact same way.

i’m sure that if the winner can’t be bothered arranging the next compo they can just delegate to someone else (either of their choosing, or simply the 2nd place getter). :-]

Stupid me. I prepared, while listening, a couple of lines of comment for each tune in the compo… and then close the notepad on a compulsive action… without saving the txt :blink:
What the hell am I doing? :wacko:

However…

Phonkey: No. It’s not a good thing that a renoise tune sounds like it’s been done with a technology that’s YEARS old. Definitely all those improvements are there for something! In FT2 one could complain about the lack of control… on Renoise you have nothing to complain about… so bad EQ and bad mastering/compression have their roots in one user’s ignorance… or lack of skills… and nothing else :)

…Too kind Ill97, too kind… what do I did? I won the last beatbattle, I’ve collected all samples to create the samplepack, I’ve decided what theme you all would be composing about and stated most of the rules we’re using… naah… you could also not bother to mention me, you see…
<_<

Gwilym:

ROFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to admit that, yes, when I gave that theme I wanted the compo to be slightly different… but I guess nothing comes exactly the way we plan it… :unsure: However, I do agree with you when you say that most of these tunes <>… I found some of them to be cold, unexpressive… hmm… Pointless is the word… like a tune that comes out when you just “play” with your tracker… adding pieces on pieces with no “inspiration”… like it has “nothing to say” and so keeps “spiraling” around the drums… or some synth…

That was my impression… and I guess it sounds pretty much like your :)

Hehe, I put a smiling smiley below that line so that people would understand that I was joking. If I had been serious when I said:

…i would have put a angry redneck smiley there instead.

:D

wow, a lot of excitement here :blink:

why you “battle” with words in this forum? i thought it was a BEATbattle :P
no, joking aside, i seriously think that we should respect all entries - whether they are more good or bad… and in fact of the demand on discussion about the tracks, it would be reasonable to extend the votesheet for the next battle. as i mentioned earlier in this thread with different voting categories and perhaps with a comment field. so everyone can get his personal feedback. without the feedback no one is able to advance his skill, style, …

so stay tuned :D

NoMad

@Phonkey:
:lol: LOL… I knew it… I felt you couldn’t be so short-minded :P

:huh: doh, you’re maybe taking us more seriously than we do :P

Hmm… I fully agree on this… but I don’t know if a comment on the votesheet might be usefull… maybe we should simply discuss our comments here, on forum, and let the voting job on the votesheet for easy handling… :huh: ? bah… :lol:

hmm ok, i’m a very poor, sad & serious man :D hehe

i think a php-voting script with the ability of online-voting with comment field on each track would be a fine solution B) but shure some work to do this… :rolleyes:

you need a [/QUOTE] at the end…

hmm, i enjoy the idea. if i have time the next days, i will code some script for testing purpose. and if you like it - feel free to use it for the next beatbattle… :)

renoise.com owns php and mysql?

hmm, i’m not sure how i feel about this idea… if it were to be implemented, i’d prefer that any comments left were both optional and anonymous.

one of the things i like about anonymous voting in the beatbattles is that you can give the songs the scores you believed they deserved, without ever having to think ‘ah, but this sounds like something a lot of people would really like.’ you don’t have to justify your opinion* - though i also agree that if someone’s going to spend ages on a track, they’re entitled to more than an arbitrary number; i know a lot of people would appreciate pointers. so i think anonymous comments are the way to go. and if people want to, they can sign their comments.

*though maybe i just say this because my name going to my numbers would uncover my fiendish plot to sabotage every compo by giving out ONLY ZEROES AND ONES

@gwilym:
yes, i agree. anonymous votes and comments are recommended.
i got the idea, because in my opinion the advantages are:

• no one has to calculate the points manually, the script does :)
  • automatic generation of the final table (with scores, comments, …)
  • possibillity to edit/change/complete your voting until the voting deadline
  • can be used for further battles
  • and of course - looks nicer than emails :D

@celsius
hehe, what a mistake. should i better say “php/mysql available” instead of “owns”? :blink:

When are the results going to be released?

Maybe it’s fair to leave out my song or deduct points or something, as I never got the time to vote yesterday as I planned :( feeling ashamed

this is the weirdest results i’ve ever seen…

thanks wen and to everyone else giving my entry a couple of points.
thanks a lot! :)
but what i don’t understand is why there are only 24 songs left in the results when there were 31 entries for the compo in the first place.
(disqualified due to not voting, maybe? :blink: )