Beatbattle2 Voting time...

because of what?

because of many reasons… weird simple average points (seems much of peeps didn’t vote), weird points. i don’t want to offence anyone, but maybe it’s just my musical taste is disagree with 95% of the results :) well, congrats anyway (if this make you happy :) )

I kind of agree!
The winning song has an avarage rating of about 4! I think many peope didn’t even care to vote or did vote just 0-3 on all songs cause that is most advantageous to themselfs…
My song has an avarage rating of 3.5 even if I think my song was way much better this time and also followed theme better than in the previous beatbattle… It seem like if I ever going to contibute again it is best for me if I vote 0 on all entries cause that seems to be the tactic from most participants… :angry:
I do not realy care how high I place, but it is kind of sad to see results like this…

i think an easy way to solve this problem of “low votings” is:
the battle members don’t give points but place all entries in that order how they like the tracks. so the highest score is similar to the number of entries and the lowest is 1 B)
perhaps it should be done like this in the next battle, agree?

ridiculous

Kinda agree… :rolleyes:
What if I think that 2 or more tracks are equally well done and theme-fitting and I want to rate em as equals?
Not to mention that such way would put in relation all entries with each other, for one to seriously decide.
It would be pure time wasting compared to the time it takes to rate entries as usual.

as far as my calcs are concerned, the winning song has an average rating of about 5.92, presuming that only those being listed in the results actually made their votes.
i couldn’t think of another reason as of why there are only 24 songs in the results listing. this would mean that 7 artists have not voted and therefore got disqualified - which is (would have been?) a reasonable decision.

i’m not saying that the current voting scheme isn’t amendable, but in case my calcs are true, the votes haven’t been that bad as you might assume.

tnx.
…and no it doesn’t. :)

welps… to be honest i didn’t regard the samples as bad ones at all in this beatbattle. they were very well selected, especially in concern of the theme which was set. it’s going to be rather tricky to do an equally good job as parsec has done on the pretty non-generic-sounding samplepack.

well, i was talking about the compo in general actually (namely the fact that it seems not bothering to vote gave you an advantage). i pretty much agree with the place one getter; it was one of my two favourites (it, along with ‘cut da cut’ shared the accolade of an 8). from there on the rankings just descend into absolute confusion for me.

…i actually think the ranking vs points plan is the only way to go. i probably would have had an aneurysm trying to rank this compo’s entries in that fashion; i’ll admit now that 90% of them just got a 7 from me - and that was only because i used 7 as ‘average’ rather than 5.

anyway, this is probably moot. my coming eighth with what i think is the best song i’ve made in a LONG time, and the only one that i’ve had true inspiration for (not to mention the fact that i flat-out don’t like a bunch of the songs that beat it) has pretty much shot my drive to enter more compos in the face. i shouldn’t care, yet i do. 30-40 hours of pouring yourself into one song will do that, i guess.

(…ok, i just smiled for the first time today. while typing that i realised the lyrics i was listening to were ‘it didnt turn out the way you wanted it to; it didnt turn out the way you wanted it, did it?’ :D )

Yes, I agree that the current voting system is fine as it is.

I would however like to share some thoughts on the organization and presentation of the compo:

Deadlines: Be presice from the beginning. For example, compo ends 15 May 2003 - 10.00pm GMT. Voting ends 20 May 2003 - 10.00pm GMT

Scoreboard: Show how many 10’s, 9’s, etc each entry got. Why? Because if you get a lousy result you still have may have gotten some high individual points that might cheer you up. =) With votesheets and some scripting this shouldn’t be too hard to acomplish. I would offer do this it would require me to learn php first… I’ve done stuff like this before, but that was asp and I’ve forgot almost everything. =(

Documentation: Don’t let previous result get lost. Hosting all beatbattle entries may not be an option but atleast save the result and present them on the bb site.

Comments would also be nice… but that’s been mentioned before.

Oh, yes. Congrats Keith303 …and everyone else who’s happy about their score =)

Gwilym>> This is exactly what I’m talking about. When the masses may be unfair, you’ll find comfort in knowing that atleast some people out there thought your song was great…

…and I hold your song as one of my favourites. I’m extremely impressed with the whole cinematic feel to it!

i just noticed i was mislead by the results a bit, thinking that there are only 24 songs in the listing, which is as i just noticed not true, as there are quite a few entries that share positions.
so all in all we still have them 31 songs and none got disqualified, which proves twilek’s assumption of extremely low average votings as correct.

having said that, i have to admit that the voting defaults (like 10 = ultimate killer track, gotta tell my mom!, etc.) kinda made me hesitate from using such high votes, since there are generally only very few “ultimate killer tracks” out there.
so the overall highest vote i made was an 8 (=wow, i’m impressed!), because i really was only impressed by one single tune although it was neither the “ultimate killer track” nor did i think that it “yeah, really rules!” (=9).
well, i hope you get what i’m trying to point out - maybe it would’ve been easier if the numbers would not have been linked with emotional expressions.
imho, it has limited the generosity of voting a bit.
but still it seems that there have been a few votings which can simply be regarded as “abuse” i fear, which is a great pity.

mm. if the data is still there, i’d like to see the results with the individual scores available too. in fact, i wouldn’t mind seeing individual voters’ ratings as well. it would still be anonymous, but people’d be able to go ‘ah, the guy who gave my song 6 gave this song [whatever] - that tells me something about their musical taste; the ratings make more sense now’ or ‘ah, this guy gave everybody a 1. so i dont care about his numbers anymore’

i also wouldn’t mind seeing the results re-posted with non-voters penalised (if this didn’t happen already - and it really looks like it didn’t)

phonkey: :)

absolutely agreed, impressive and unfortunately highly underrated work.

Congratulations, Keith303!!

all in all I think this run was totally okey…
since it’s a compo all positions ultimately has to be filled
and let’s remember that we’re dealing with subjectivity here
so, what one thinks may not necessarily be the winning recipe…

I agree with most posts regarding the voting system that
it’s a good one but maybe could benefit from some minor changes…
I only see one flaw and that is that only We, the participants, vote but
what other valid options are there?

finally, Hats off for Wen/Robotron

That’s the spirit!

and also, to Gwilym
even though your song wasn’t one of my top favourites I have to send
my respects for the amount of seriousness you put into the interpretation
of the theme… Far out!

shouldn’t this give you an incentive to keep at it?

Don’t worry Keith303… that’s just a problem ill79 seems to have with me… (for reasons I ignore indeed)
:huh:…when I’ll understand more about it I’ll let you know :lol:

Agree. I admit I thought this kind of rating to be fun… and I had a laugh with friends when listening all the entries and rating em… But I also thought it was kinda generic. “i’ll stick to the numeric rating” I decided in the end.

Right before the start of BB2 I sent to Celsius “my version” of the votesheet… we didn’t discussed about it too much, in the end it wasn’t used… but still, it contains a new voting formula I’d like to share with you all… it might be you like it better than the first one? As we’re discussing this, I think it’s worth having a look…

10= This track rules big times!
9 = I love this one!
8 = This tune makes me feel happy!
7 = I like this tune!
6 = I feel there is something worth…
5 = I’m absolutely untouched
4 = I feel there is something slightly disturbing
3 = I don’t like it!
2 = This tune is irritating!
1 = I hate this one!
0 = This track sucks big times!

As you see that’s based on personal feelings about the song… and it doesn’t really relate to any generic killer track outside of the compo…

@ Gwilym:
:lol: I knew it was your entry I was listening to… since the very first patterns ;)

The voting is very easy to solve.

You only get to vote for maybe 5 entries. And you have to rate them in order. You have to give 5 to one entry 4 to one 3 to one and down to 1 point to one entry.

And you have to vote to get points.

It does not take to long time to choose 5 entries. And you cant vote low for many entries. You realy have to chose only the ones you like the most…

Then the voting gets fair.

@Twilek

I was convinced that your entry would fight for the first place togther with Beatbattle II :)

ooh, i didn’t see this. thanks for your comments :)

in fact, i’m sure that my hearing stuff like this is far nicer than even coming first would’ve been. while i don’t agree that people who didn’t think the tune was great are fools, it’s nice to see that someone else does :P :P :P

as for the first bit being off, i assume you meant the detuning of the ‘piano’ type instrument? i know! this slipped me by for ages, until i showed the whole song to my brother and my friend and they both noticed it. they also both said i should keep it that way, so i did. :>

(actually, i think it might be the choir that’s detuned; i used the diplophony sample after all… guess i spent more time going ‘ooh i made it sound like a choir!’ than making it in tune. i kinda like the sound though :D )

[i’ll stay. probably.]

Thank you. :D the funny thing is that I have heard this from more than you…