Beginner question : Choosing a DAW Controller - Icon P1-Nano?

Hello guys,

I use Renoise since a long time, and hooked an Arturia Keystep for the keyboard. I know it is possible to control most (all?) of Renoise settings by mapping MIDI to commands and buttons, but I never did that before.

In order to improve my setup, I’d love to acquire a DAW Controller. I found the ICON P1-Nano along with its D5 Oled screen that seems to suit, as it is very compact, has lots of features according to the manual.

It is said it supports 3 DAWs simultaneously, and comes with a list of supported ones mentioned in the user manual. As you guessed, there is no mention of Renoise. I just see on their manual that the P1-Nano is Mackie Protocol compliant, and also obviously able to send MIDI messages.

● Supports Universal Mackie Control and HUI protocols for seamless integration
with compatible music production software.

● Supports Ability, Audition, Ableton Live, Bitwig, Cakewalk, Cubase/Nuendo,
Digital Performer, FL Studio, Mixbus 32C, Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Reaper, Reason,
Samplitude, Studio One and Tracktion Waveform.

I didn’t find a clear mention of how to interface easily the P1-Nano to Renoise, even on this forum. There seem to be at least one Renoise Tool that can handle this Mackie Protocol (Duplex Duplex - is it dead? - Renoise Tools - Renoise Forums), but I know nothing about this protocol as I never had such a controller before.

My questions are probably simple for some of you, and would help take my decision:

1. Is it possible to use such a controller to control Renoise (Probably yes, I guess) ?

2. Would any VST plugin parameters that I would load into Renoise be also assignable ? I’m using some Korg and Air VSTi and VSTfx.

3. Is Renoise able to send back status and values of the parameters to the P1-Nano, as it has a motorized fader, but also many screens to feedback information such as channel volume and pan, and others. I guess that is related to the Mackie Protocol but maybe it’s also possible using MIDI messages.

4. Am I doing wrong by looking at this P1-Nano, there are so many DAW controllers. My criteria are clearly compact size, rich features and ease of use once configured.

I’d like to know if I’m doing right before ordering the P1-Nano, so all your answers are welcome. Meanwhile I’ll continue to read about the Mackie Protocol and try to understand how the Duplex tool works.

Best regards,

Bruno

Update:
I spent some time on Reddit. It seems that the Icon P1-Nano is great in terms of hardware, but has pretty bad issues with the software. I’m now thinking of the SSL UF1. I know it’s quite much more expensive, but I don’t want to waste days trying to make it work. Your feedback on this controller (and others) are very welcome.