Better disk navigation

Two things that would make browsing in renoise easier:

1. Keyboard driven navigation (disk browser + save/load/render dialog) + completion on partially typed file and folder nameshttps://forum.renoise.com/t/faster-navigation-in-open-song-and-friends/38743

2. The possibility to add “bookmarks” directly in the disk navigation, to easily jump to my favorite render location, various project folders, dropbox, sample collection, etc…

What OS are you on? In Windows 10 the Open Song dialoghas quick access and pinned folders which are like bookmarks, but the_Browse For Folder_ dialog which you get from the render to disk dialog doesn’t have any of that. (Well, it does show dropbox.)

I’m on Linux. I was under the impression all renoise gui is the same on all platforms…

i feel the native browser went downhill in 3.0

id love to see a the full screen browser return, additionally extra bookmarks and extended search options would be awesome

eg a search for ‘snare’ could list all samples or instruments containing ‘snare’ in the file name within a given directory and its subdirectories (not just the current level)

Will be cool have a browser used Norton commander stile))) left part disk novigation right project. In instruments have a folder for collecting samples.

Don’t remember stuff before 3.0 :slight_smile:

But no matter how it’s implemented, my point is:

1. browse using keys (backspace for one level up), and a simple “select as i type” thing, so I don’t have to scroll and click.

2. ability to bookmark favorites, like “root of my samples”, “root of my instruments”, “root of my instruments in Dropbox”, “root of my projects”, etc, of course not preset but added by the user.

Search would be awesome, but my sample lib is about 32Gb, so a realtime search through that might mean severe performance penalty. Of course some clever, low priority, background caching (ala locate linux) could make this behave smooth…

1. ability to bookmark favorites, like “root of my samples”, “root of my instruments”, “root of my instruments in Dropbox”, “root of my projects”, etc, of course not preset but added by the user.

We already have this

To the right of the folder panel are four numbered buttons, which are user-configurable presets that can be assigned to your favourite file locations. Right-clicking a button will store the current File Panel directory as a preset. Left clicking will recall a previously stored location. Each file type (Song, Instrument, Sample and Other) has its own set of four customisable presets. Hovering over a preset button with the mouse will show its full directory path.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Disk_Browser#Folder_Panel_.28Renoise_only.29

Amazing, ever since 2.9?

The other point 1) is still valid, though…

since 2.9?

Since pretty much forever :slight_smile:

Here’s Renoise 1.2:
6205 renoise-1281-diskop-favourites.png

Ok, thanks for pointing me to it :panic:

What would be a nice addition to the browser is the possibility to navigate instruments or samples displayed in a folder using a keyboard shortcut (like the arrows) to pre-ear them (without clicking with the mouse).

What would be a nice addition to the browser is the possibility to navigate instruments or samples displayed in a folder using a keyboard shortcut (like the arrows) to pre-ear them (without clicking with the mouse).

If you bring focus to the diskop, for example through middle mouse clicking, so the brackets appear. You can move through the samples with the keyboard cursors & so pre-hear them.