Brainstorming: Arranger

I agree, if you find a passion in something, celebrate it.

I believe pattern zoom could be the key to the arranger.
As well as being able to zoom in it could have the ability to zoom out giving us an overview of the whole song if we want.

thoughts?

On this thing with reusable sections…I’m probably adding nothing new to the discussion but I feel so frustrated I just need to get it said.

For long I missed the tracker style of composing because I didn’t see a viable modern day app to do it with, so I got really excited about Renoise when I found out about it - I was jumping up and down. It was a major disappointment to find something like this missing. I have always considered it so essential since dos trackers that I don’t even question if it is there when I try a new production app. It just is everywhere.

So I haven’t bought Renoise for this simple reason and it feels so silly for an obstacle. But I can’t work around it, I’m too used to the speed and flexibility.

While other changes are being discussed, would implementing just this have to mean anything else, I can’t see why. To me this just seems like an obvious priority number one.

Something like this you mean? :rolleyes:

So there is no obstacle as I see it. Speed and flexibility! Thats what pattern editor is all about, man!

just love antics “mock-up”
the way renoise 2 is now,i cant imagine what it will look like in the next coming updates.

its simply a killer program :dribble:

sixth year :)

again
lol
:P

This seems very sensible to me. Designing “The Arranger” is a noble cause, and not to rain in any way on the creativity on display here, but to me it smells a bit of too-much-to-handle (but correct me if I’m wrong). Reading through all these posts, it seems that there are actually several features that should work together to create “The Arranger”. Designing and implementing each of these in turn may be easier than all in one go. To get things going, these ideas, suggestions and mockups should be consolidated into a few features, each of which can be designed on its own, but eventually work together.

In any case, I like just about all of the ideas I’ve seen here. Just don’t get bogged down in details, the basic design and interface principles are more important that the tidbits.

Taktik said in a post a month ago or so, “do you want any arranger or THE arranger”… I want The Arranger, but I’m fine with half now and the other half later, so to say.

Uhm… sorry to ask,. but will I be able to select patterns via midi with this arranger?

This is really the only thing I miss in Renoise. A proper arranger. And that’s not bad! :D

+1 :)

Yes, I think is all about reusable data too. The FL pattern arranger is IMHO a very quicker work to compose songs and it’s way more flexible. IE: I can have the same “hats” pattern that I use with and without drums.

BTW: arranger give also a visual feedback of the song and for me is not bad at all…

yes, I’ve said it before and will say it again, fl studio’s playlist editor FT arranger W!

Indeed; agreed!

I Agree too.

Is the only think I miss in Renoise.

Another +1 here…

…however, I have a caveat, and it’s the same caveat as with anything new in Renoise: wherever possible, you should be able to navigate/edit/use as much as possible in Renoise from the QWERTY keyboard.

What I love about Renoise is I need my laptop, headphones… and nothing else, and the workflow is just the most amazing ever.

So, a pattern arranger like FL Studio, yes, but one in which you can enter/delete patterns using the QWERTY keyboard.

+1 This would make Renoise standalone^5782523

Hi,

I couldn’t read whole thread from the beging (perhaps there had been stated a similar idea already) but patterns should stay exactly the same as they are now. What I’d like to see are pattern aliases on arranger time line. Aliases could call multiple patterns at the same time. They’d play by merging their tracks (for notes) or mixing values (for parameters’ effects). Or alternatively they could be concurrent running. So there should be alias groups (1, 2, 3, 4, …, and unique). Alias could have some filter/processing capabilities for its pattern (turning on/off parts of pattern, real time transposing, values adding/decrementing, etc.).

Basically it’d be not unlike current pattern arranger but with multiple lanes.

Hi everyone,

I’m new here :)

First of all, thanks for this awesome piece of software, I love it!
The new live features in v. 2.1 convinced me.
But, there are still some features missing, to make Renoise a really awesome tool for live performance.

Now on the topic:
I think that Renoise really needs an arranger, and it should have a static and a live mode.
In static mode it would just play the sequence of patterns like it is laid out, in live mode you are able to jump between patterns and loop them in a non-linear way.

It should be tracker-style, because that is what Renoise is all about.

Take a look at the arranger of LSDJ, I think its nearly perfect. The live mode works wonders in a live situation.
Also the arranger of Buzz comes to mind, but I think the 3-layered concept of LSDJ (Phrase->Chain->Song) is better than the 2-layered Buzz concept (Pattern->Song).
A third to look at would obviously be Ableton Live, as it is the industry standard when it comes to electronic live performance. Although it’s not really my favorite application, there has to be some useful feature in the arranger :)

Take the concept of LSDJ, plus some useful features from the other two, plus a some unique features for Renoise and I think everyone will love it ;)

Cheers,
Flip

Yes, it’s the one thing that stops me from using Renoise, instead of Buzz.
I would think it would be REALLY easy to implement a sequence editor like the one in Buzz.

After all, all it would do is represent one track of the pattern with a number, and then display it in a sequence editor. An absolute piece of cake, I would have thought! After all, the current sequencer already uses basically the same idea - a number represents a pattern. So a Sequence Editor just uses a number to represent a track within a pattern, and allows you to sequence each track individually.

I would think that 99% of Renoise users will be reusing, for example, various bass patterns, and various drum patterns, throughout a song, no matter how varied the melody might be, and to have to copy and paste entire tracks from one pattern to another, over and over again, must drive you nuts. (I know it drove me nuts, which is why I couldn’t carry on using Renoise.)

And the sequence editor just WORKS. It’s virtually instant, no need for the mouse, I can produce, for example, eight different drum patterns, and I can see which pattern is where, throughout the entire song, all on one screen. How do you guys cope without being able to SEE all of this ‘macro’ data in one place? Putting a drum fill in halfway through a song takes me a second in Buzz’s sequence editor, but in Renoise, I’d have to FIND the drum fill first, by searching through entire patterns for it, then have to visually recognise it, (and it might be only one beat different to the drum track in the previous pattern), copy it, then find the new pattern I want it to go in, then paste it. It’s just madness, and I can’t understand how you have all put up with it for so long.

The Buzz method is just the best way to do it, as far as I can see, though I will have to read through all of this thread in more detail (I only glanced at the recent posts in the past, but now I see there are some really great ideas further back in the thread, about a new arranger).

The Sequence Editor is all I really want from Renoise, other than that it’s perfect.
That and a machine editor, of course… ;)

See Buzz’s Sequence Editor - works great with just the keyboard. Nothing quicker.