Brainstorming: Arranger

I may be wrong, but I somehow get the impression that lots of these feature requests are coming from Linux users. And the main reason seems to be that that so many plugins, that would take care of feature X, are incompatible with Linux.

Rewire is an awesome feature for me

I use Renoise as main host and now i can record stuff from my max msp patches directly in Renoise

the world is spinning a lot faster for me now…

On the arranger, i think it’ll be a nice add-on but i really believe that renoise is already a complete DAW (routing between tracks apart)

As i can see there are a lot of different way to use renoise so i would not consider any of the new features a loss of time…

Not entirely sure i agree
I mean Rewire is about as much use to Linux users as a BMX is to a skateboarder (There is no Rewire for Linux)

The only requests i have seen that would benefit Linux users is more FX and maybe a built in synth
Other than that i think everyone gains from every addition to the package and advanced features like an arranger or piano roll can only help to bring new users on board (Even if longtime users never touch them) and that can only be seen as a good thing right ?

Bungle

No but there is Jack transport which is at least a similar feature.

Yes but the point was that this feature wouldn’t be something the LInux users wanted
I’m not sure what features transcender mean’t exactly when he said that soooo pinch of salt time i guess ?

Bungle

My personal experience:
I’m making use of the delay column in almost every track of a song; it became an invaluable feature. So far, I haven’t used the key-tracking device, as that’s something I usually handle within VSTi plugins. I’ll probably start reading some of Bungle’s tutorials on a rewired Renoise/Reaper combo as soon as I get my hands on a proper audio interface. However, depending on what a possible “arranger” in Renoise will look like I might just drop the idea and stay “Renoise-only”.

Usually, the range of added features in a Renoise update “makes life easier” for everyone in one way or another. :)

Has anybody here tried the 2.5 Beta yet, and used the new arranger? From the screenshots I’ve looked at, it doesn’t use numbers (or words) to represent the patterns in the matrix, would it not be clearer to do it the same way as the Buzz Sequence Editor?

And Mourouche said on one of the other forums here:
“the pattern matrix is just some thing to make easy shit+f4 shift f5 (littel shit) sry mad.gif all block have same
time, we cannot reapet block in same pattern all 8,4,2 ticks like in real arrenger alt+f4 f5 always needed”

I bought Reason at version 1.0 and will need to upgrade to download the 2.5 beta, but I won’t bother if it isn’t going to be as easy (for me) to use, as Buzz is. I’d be very interested in your experiences with the pattern arranger, and especially any videos of it in use, as I can’t try the beta!

hey there.

i can understand what you’re saying, but the way that Buzz’s arranger works is different to the way that Renoise’s works.

Buzz is made up of individual patterns for individual generators. It works similar to FL Studio, where by you have melodies or beats made up and then layer them over the top of each other in the arranger/playlist.

A tracker works a bit differently, because you only have one pattern playing at a time.
In Renoise, you do not layer patterns of invididual sounds together in the arranger.
The way that the matrix works is it gives you an overview of the one single pattern, and the things inside of it, and works like a shortcut to copy, paste and move the little notes inside of it around.

It looks similar to Buzz’s arranger, but the reason why there are blocks in it, is it allows you to distinguish the different tracks.
I don’t think the matrix will ever be like Buzz’s arranger or like FL Studio, because it goes against the tracker paradigm and wouldn’t make sense.
Remember, with a tracker, only one pattern plays at a time. A pattern is like a section, a verse, a chorus, whatever. You do not have say, 8 different patterns playing at the same time to make up a section.

Buzz and FL Studio is sort of like where each individual player in the band has their own sheet of music.

Renoise is one set of sheet music which everybody reads off.

I don’t think i explained that well, but maybe that kinda makes sense.

XG2003: If you’re unsure if the pattern matrix is worth it, simply wait until the 2.5 demos go online. This will be beginning of next year when the beta testing is complete…

Yes, I know that. My idea for Renoise’s pattern sequencer was that it would be the same as the Sequence Editor in Buzz, except instead of patterns being represented, tracks within a pattern would be represented, one for each column.

well i don’t get what the issue is then.

because that seems to be what the matrix does.

it shows you whats inside of a track within a specific pattern.

i LOVE the matrix

Hey, I love Rewire support! Already hooked up Reason for my latest mix, and it worked out great.

you might find this new little button handy when using the matrix.

Edit: What It-Alien said

Apparently, about 13.7 billion years ago The Big Bang happened…now I’m walking around the earth thinking wtf is this place :blink: and how will I spend time here before I’m dust :lol:

Personally I love the new features now and before 2_5 but, I guess what I’m trying to say is that, the impact depends on the users acquaintance with new features + uniting that fresh feature to their current work-flow model.

Also, before I started using The Matrix, I was oblivious as to teh proper use of the “make selection unique” function in the Pattern Sequencer. Wondering how my musical sketches were numbered all over the place while others had a nice and organized sequence. A slap in the forehead moment.

that would be a good thing. how about a little highlighting in the manual which points to the chapters with the new features.

Maybe I’m missing something. My pattern numbers are all over the place too :unsure:

Nothing wrong with the Pattern Sequencer numbers being all over the place, but personally it confuses me, now the steps I take in order for the Pattern Sequencer to be in numbered order is to…

Edit: There’s a tutorial on this but it totally flew over my head.

1. Pick a tempo and LPB to work with a particular measure such as 9/4 or something
  2. Insert a good working amount of Patterns
  3. Make Selection Unique

The general intent is to make room, to make space in order to populate it with your favorite techniques.

In the following example, instead of using say Pattern 15 twice for a loop, I just use a fresh Pattern (16), so if later on I decide to do something “unique” in the second loop of Pattern 15 such as a simple tweak, I don’t end up having to do it on say Pattern 64 like I used to. Plus with The Matrix, its much easier to get an overview of what sucks, and move ,with ease, with what doesn’t. Again, nothing wrong with Pattern numbers being all over the place.

That’s a nifty button, didn’t know about it :)

But I still vote for being able to play patterns of different length simultaneously, would really make things easier when working with triplets… How it’s displayed graphically is of minor importance to me.

Edit: The matrix view is a huuuuge improvement though, yey for that :)

From the screenshots I’ve looked at, it doesn’t use numbers (or words) to represent the patterns in the matrix, would it not be clearer to do it the same way as the Buzz Sequence Editor?