Brainstorming: Audio Tracks

feature that allow record audio directly from hardware to renoise arrangement composition is a must have IMO

vertical waveforms are great idea because you can see more tracks in your landscape monitor and no extra windows needed.

now everyone buying some gear synths etc and just pressing some buttons while track is going is a loads of fun.

sometimes i just record loops in ableton and i struggle every time when i see long waveforms but need to scroll down to see all the tracks.

so yeah just add an extra column as audio tracks for recording and you get double of a happy people.

and also make automatic rendering from tracker notes to audio tracks when you drag and drop notes you need, thanks.

Break out the tracker as a step sequencer VST, break out the FX as a VST plugin suite, nobody even needs Renoise anymore, they can use its sequencer/sampler/effects in a real DAW, kills all birds with one stone.

Having the Renoise tracker interface (i.e. the pattern editor) as a separate VST/AU plugin would be SOOOO GREAT. I’ve used ReWire for such purpose since version 2.1, however it would be so much cooler to take my Renoise pattern/note programming workflow into Bitwig, Cubase et al.

Redux is great, however 99% of everything Itouch in music production isabout MIDI, VST instruments and effects.Having a host plugin, something like Image-Line’s Minihost Modular but with Renoise’s pattern editor instead of the piano roll… that would be totally awesome. Not to mention a great way for linear DAW users to try out tracking with their preferred plugin instruments rather than just audio samples.

Pretty please devs, make this a reality! :walkman:

Having a visual reference may be very helpful, however, for me, a major draw card is the minimal visual representation in renoise. It makes me rely more on my ears than eyes and I find this has become very helpful to me.
I usually print/resample or use a vst such as span etc and that is enough for me.
The reason I am sayin this, is that if such a thing is implemented, can it be easily hidden or not a default view?
I have no doubt of it’s usefulness, so this is not meant to be critical of the suggestion. More so, that I am comfortable with the interface at present.

The vertical waveform suggestion actually has zero merit, waveforms are linear left to right in all other packages, we do not live in a world where we are not going to use other packages, so you stick to the paradigm, oh wait, they did, the waveforms are not top to bottom in the damn sample editor are they ? nope.

The only reason i assume that vertical waves are being suggested is that the developers have not that much interest in this (Its a tracker folks) so if we make it a bit more trackerish, maybe they will add it hahaha

I have two suggestions

1 Use Redux in a Real DAW

2 Render stems out of Renoise, now load those in a Real DAW and do you audio track recording in there.

The reason vertical waveforms were suggested were simply so that they could be in the same view. There’s nothing super special about vertical waveforms, but Renoise tracks run vertical therefore audio tracks would have to. It’s not about having merit, it’s just the way it would have to be.

Redux is great but it is still just an instrument plugin. If you want to sequence a whole song tracker style it’s way better to use Renoise.

Rendering stems out of Renoise and then doing your audio track recording is completely counter to the creative process.

The best option right now is to just use Rewire. There are downsides to that as well though. I personally don’t want anything super fancy, just the ability to create an audio track and record into it. A simple thing that would make a massive difference in workflow.

Vertical waveforms would not be weird or “wrong” at all i think. Its just transients, easy to read no matter what direction. I agree that using our ears often give best results, but laying out stuff in waveform view as a starting point could be a big time-saver, and speed and efficiency have always been an imporant factor for trackers. So 100% support from me.

The reason vertical waveforms were suggested were simply so that they could be in the same view. There’s nothing super special about vertical waveforms, but Renoise tracks run vertical therefore audio tracks would have to. It’s not about having merit, it’s just the way it would have to be.

Redux is great but it is still just an instrument plugin. If you want to sequence a whole song tracker style it’s way better to use Renoise.

Rendering stems out of Renoise and then doing your audio track recording is completely counter to the creative process.

The best option right now is to just use Rewire. There are downsides to that as well though. I personally don’t want anything super fancy, just the ability to create an audio track and record into it. A simple thing that would make a massive difference in workflow.

Renoise Tracks run vertical, therefore automation envelopes would have to be…oh wait

If you want to sequence a whole song, tracker style, remind me, why do you need audio tracks ?

Rendering stems is counter to the creative process, what planet you been on for the last twenty years, we have all been doing that for various and sundry for a long time.

You don’t want anything fancy, just vertical waveforms from audio tracks in a tracker, yep a simple thing.

1. Ok, so you could have horizontal audio tracks, and have to click each track individually to see the content pop up at the bottom like you currently have to do for automation, but that would kind of silly.

2. For recording audio? I don’t understand the question.

3. If you seriously can’t understand what I meant I’m just not even going to engage the argument any further

4. I never said it was simple to implement. I’m not an idiot, I know it would be quite challenging if not practically impossible. I meant simple in that I don’t care about the fancier features others have dreamed up in this thread, just a simple audio track implementation.

1 Kind of silly, is that full explanation of why audio waveforms should be vertical is it, damn, every DAW in existence is “Kind of silly” Renoises audio editor is “kind of silly”

2 You said, specifically, you want to sequence a whole song tracker style, Trackers do not have linear recording, understand now ?

3 Oh i understand exactly what you mean, but you obviously do not

4 All the fancy things people have dream’t up in this thread, are probably the easier parts to implement

It’s a tracker people, for tracking, hex, numbers, no hit record and record my band, that is what a real DAW is for :wink:

Hhhhh… come on, loosen up a bit will you :slight_smile: Yes, it is a tracker, obviously. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be expanded into something more in the future. My impression is that a lot of people would love to see a type of audiotrack-feature being implemented, vertical, horizontal or whatever, and if you don’t need it, then ignore it, don’t use it, how about just accepting that others wish for other things than yourself and move on? :slight_smile:

Why ?

The releases are few and far between here, the support needed to implement all these features would be off the charts, the development time would be off the chart.

But for one or two users that actually cant be bothered to go and use a DAW to record, they should halt development of Redux and the composing features in Renoise, to implemnet audio tracks right, then on top of that they should implement them vertically into the pattern UI hahaha

I will lighten up, when some people here get a reality check hahaha

Well… “audiotracks” has been one of the hottest topics on this forum for years, and as far as I remember it was in the top of the “most wanted” features poll a few years back, so I’m pretty convinced it’s a big deal for more than one or two users. I have no idea how much time it would take to develop - but it wouldn’t have to be a full-on multitrack recording DAW type of solution, my impression is that the main reason for wanting audiotracks is better visualization of whats going on with long recordings, not just a C-4 note in the first pattern.

My impression is that this was wanted a long time before this thread started, this thread started in 2009, since then even the sampler has been broken off in to its own plugin, i think it is pretty safe to say either this feature is the longest ever development in the history of any DAW in any reality throughout all plains of existence, or it simply isn’t happening.

While everybody here has been discussing audio tracks, Bitwig was thought about and developed and released, Studio One was thought about, developed, released and indeed is now on it’s 3rd major version.

We can pretty much infer that this is not high on the developers list, it is just a tracker, it is not a linear DAW.

Well… “audiotracks” has been one of the hottest topics on this forum for years, and as far as I remember it was in the top of the “most wanted” features poll a few years back, so I’m pretty convinced it’s a big deal for more than one or two users. I have no idea how much time it would take to develop - but it wouldn’t have to be a full-on multitrack recording DAW type of solution, my impression is that the main reason for wanting audiotracks is better visualization of whats going on with long recordings, not just a C-4 note in the first pattern.

Well, if it’s all about visual information, the sampler’s visualization is already in place, so it shouldn’t be too difficult for the devs toclone that data into a newdetached window or as background projectionsinside thepattern tracks.

Of course it’s not just more visualization that users demand, but new ways to dragand drop the audio files in a timeline rather than placing out a C-4 note some lines up or down in the pattern editor.

Actually, I think we’ll see audio tracks in the next major Renoise update, however, probably not inthe “conventional” way. Maybe they’ll have a shot at handling notes as dragableitems as well, offering some basic pianoroll (however also probably not in the “conventional” way). Maybe zooming is part of the solution…

I can’t be bothered / don’t have the time to learn cubase or ableton, plus I dont want to take the risk of learning less ‘industry standard’ DAWs such as reaper and presonus studio one…only to have them fall out of favour like sony acid studio a few years later. Also I am broke and cant afford these things so please add audiotracks feature to future renoise. Hope so…

I think this is a great idea!

Hey! audio tracks would be cool - who cares if it’s not true tracker. Life moves on - and there’s always the opportunity to make something new.

On that note - who says waveforms are left to right? Flip em 90 degrees - same thing. I think that makes sense as you can see the waveform interacting with your notes. I know the automation is left to right, but the automation kind of sucks

Also - just to add- if you have a cpu heavy project wouldn’t the option to render a track to an audio channel give the option to free up cpu cheadroom?

Also - just to add- if you have a cpu heavy project wouldn’t the option to render a track to an audio channel give the option to free up cpu cheadroom?

Indeed! Implementing audio tracks would make “render track” or “freeze track” a low-hanging fruit the Renoise devs could pick in a minor version update shortly after audio tracks get implemented (in a major version, I presume).

In the 3 years that have passed since I wrote in this thread the first time, my longing for audio tracks in Renoise has not diminished; it has only grown. I will gladly pay for a new major version of Renoise with audio tracks. If it comes down to money (or lack thereof), how about the Renoise devs arranging a Kickstarter for the feature or something similar? I would chip in a large chunk of monetas in less than a heartbeat.