Buzz Sequence Editor Vs Renoise

is there anybody here thats employed by the buzz devs??? or maybe one of their sisters or something???..:wink:

Haha, how did nobody reply to you? This is brilliant!

ok i’ll bite, looks so lonely without music…

Somebody on the forum said that it was possible to put names on the pattern matrix patterns (or clips, or whatever they are called) - is this possible?

You can give names to patterns, yes, but not to the matrix blocks. To get an overview, reference this section of the user manual.

Ah, I thought so. That was another major problem for me with the pattern matrix.

From this thread:

post #524,

joule said:

This is the sort of thing I was talking about in that thread - a Buzz Sequence Editor would just be an alternative front end (and nobody would have to use it, you could leave it turned off and never even know it existed, if you prefer the pattern matrix), and would pull pattern data out of the patterns, and play whatever tracks and patterns you had put into the Buzz Sequence Editor. I’m going to try to create some simple graphics to explain what I mean, as I’m not a programmer I’m afraid I can’t help in that regard.

Here is what I have in mind:

The BSE (Buzz Sequence Editor) would use normal patterns to store its data, except that only one track would be used in the Renoise pattern, as shown above. It could, of course, display multiple tracks side by side on the pattern, by copying and pasting (behind the scenes) the pattern data from patterns 1 and 2 in the example above, and displaying it on the screen, and copying it back as you edited it.

Like this:

Pattern 1 and Pattern 2 at the bottom are the real patterns, the upper patterns in the image above are just displayed by Renoise so that you can edit them.

In other words, nothing has to change with regard to the way the patterns are stored by Renoise, it would just be presenting the patterns to you in a different way, so that you can use the BSE. So in the image above, all the BSE is doing is telling Renoise to play pattern 1 and pattern 2 simultaneously - or it could just use a temporary pattern to shove the data into.

I think it would be such a boon to Renoise if somebody could implement this - I am still finding it impossible to write anything with Renoise without it, and end up going back to Buzz.

==============================================================================
ps This is all totally OPTIONAL, of course - if you wanted to use the BSE tool, then you would, and if you didn’t, you don’t install it, or turn it off. I’m only writing this bit because some people here seem to take anything new as a ‘threat’ to the precious pattern matrix.

the best thread ever! :drummer: :lol:

Interesting, but I think there is an easier way, that makes more sense… Correct me if I am wrong but what you want can be put into these basic ideas:

1. The ability to name patterns.

2. The ability to have a Matrix reference the named patterns by inputting an identifying number, “for eg, Pattern CF.”

3. A way to manage patterns that are not in the Matrix, but exist, where they are easy to be found. A way to create a pattern in one project, have it available in another project.

The answer is, “Pattern Management.” Patterns could be treated like samples and go here, in the, “pattern management window.”

Now you can, "create a pattern once. give it a name, a description, and an identifying number. The Matrix could alias patterns from the Matrix, (just like it does now.) The or the Matrix can alias patterns from, “pattern management.”

Edit = my bad… :walkman: , i trim next time fer sure… B)

No, that isn’t what I’m talking about. Have you used Buzz?
http://www.jeskola.net/buzz/

@ the last image in your post:
So you don’t like seeing all the notes of different tracks side by side?
Why it’s a good idea to have those other tracks displayed at all when there’s no data present?

I’m sorry, I should have made another diagram to explain that - I made the four tracks side by side to show how Renoise would store the pattern data, i.e. in the same way it does now. You would only see one track at a time normally, but could view multiple patterns side by side if you wished.

I think one of the reasons Buzz showed only one track’s pattern at a time (but this is just my take on it, Oskari will know whether I’m correct or not) is because a lot of Buzz machines have a huge number of parameters which you can adjust in the pattern editor, so there can be thirty or more columns for a machine’s parameters.

Anyway - is my idea possible with LUA scripting? Bear in mind that it involves a great deal less programming than the Pattern Matrix must have taken, I would imagine.

Well I’d imagine this could be scripted up to a point but somehow it feels it could get really messy. I cannot visualize how such tool would work. I see there could be sort of an sequencer grid gui, in which you could swiftly type in numbers…, but my vision does not carry on further. I mean, the playback is from the actual renoise sequencer no matter what. What would happen there? I think this would be complicated to realize as a tool.

Have you used Buzz? If not, I will explain - the playback would not be from the Renoise sequencer, in the lower diagram below, the BSE would pull Track 1 from pattern 1, and play that, then pull Track 1 from pattern 1, and Track 2 from pattern 2, and play them both together.
If you pressed ‘Enter’ while your cursor was on the Pads ‘01’ block, you would see Pattern 1, (which would only have data in Track 1) and could edit it.

It’s very easy to understand once you’ve tried Buzz.

Let’s say I write four patterns of drums. The first pattern would be Pattern 1, and would only have data in the drums track of that pattern. I can put it in the BSE by typing ‘0’ and duplicate it three times. I could then make a second pattern, which would appear in Pattern 2, again with data in only the drum track of that pattern, and I could enter that in the BSE by typing ‘1’. I could rename these patterns to anything I wanted, so that if I pressed ‘0’ the drum clip in the BSE would say “DrumsStart”, and if I pressed ‘1’ it could say “DrumsFill”, etc. I can then write two more patterns of drums, which I would add to the BSE by pressing ‘2’ and ‘3’.
So say I am listening to my song and I think “I want the drum ‘fill’ at this point, not the ‘DrumsStart’ pattern”, I just type ‘1’ and immediately it’s there. I don’t need to search, like when using the Pattern Matrix, to find where I used the drum fill, i.e. which position in the arranger I first created it, so that I can alias it.

That way I have a much easier to follow arranger - I can call every track’s pattern whatever I want to call it.

Just try Buzz and you’ll see how easy it is.

I know how buzz sequencer works, I’ve used it. It’s been a while, but I understand the basics. I just cannot grasp how this could be realized as a renoise lua-scripted tool, without it being overly complicated. Then again, I might be thinking things way too complicated. :)

Are you perhaps envisioning something like the grid pie tool?

I think it would be something like grid pie, I haven’t tried it yet.

I presume nobody records two tracks at the same time in a pattern, so you would just write one track as usual, and then Renoise would automatically create new patterns as you created new tracks, each pattern having only one track with data in it. You wouldn’t see all the tracks displayed as they are now, you would just seen one track at a time, depending on which pattern you had selected in the BSE.

Say you had
Track 1 - Pads Track 2 - Drums Track 3 - Bass Track 4 - Lead

and each track had four patterns.

As you created the patterns for each track, Renoise would create a new pattern, so it would be

Pattern 1
Track 1 - pads00

Pattern 2
Track 1 pads01

Pattern 3
Track 2 drums00

Pattern 4
Track 2 drums01

etc. You wouldn’t see the patterns as they are normally displayed, you would just see the data for one track (but could switch to view all the tracks in that pattern if you wanted to, but as all the other tracks would be empty, there would be point).

In other words, nothing has to change about the current Renoise track data, nor how it’s stored. If you were to view the Renoise file with the BSE turned off, you would just see a lot of patterns, each with only one track with data in.

When you entered a ‘sequence’ number into the BSE (here a ‘sequence’ is a pattern for one particular track), Renoise would copy the data from that particular pattern into a temp pattern, and then if you had second sequence number in the BSE in the next track (see my picture above), it would copy the data for that tracks from the pattern, into the same temp pattern, as shown in my picture. And that would be it - as far as the user was concerned, it would be playing several tracks at once, but in reality the patterns for each track would be separate.

It seems very simple to me, what do you think?

GRID PIE proves it can be done! It does exactly what I am talking about! (Not all of what the Buzz Sequence Editor does, but it pulls tracks from selected patterns and puts them into a ‘temp’ current pattern!)

Thanks for suggesting it, KMaki, it proves that what I’m talking about should be possible!

Edit:
Having played around with the wonderful Grid Pie for a few minutes, I now see that the patterns that Renoise stores (but doesn’t show you) wouldn’t have to have only one track with data in, it could just add data to each track as you created new patterns for new tracks.

So if I started off with

Pattern 1
Track 1 - Pads
DATA
DATA
DATA

and then created a drum track, in track 2, it would just add that to pattern 1, track 2

Pattern 1
Track 1 - Pads Track 2 - Drums
DATA -------------DATA
DATA -------------DATA
DATA -------------DATA

and then using whatever method Grid Pie uses, it would pull out whatever tracks you wanted from whatever pattern. It would store the BSE track and pattern name somewhere in the Renoise pattern, so that it would know to look in ‘Pattern 1 - Track 2’ for the ‘Drums00’ data. (Presuming you named the first drum track ‘Drums00’.)

Does all that make sense? This is looking really promising, I’m really impressed with Grid Pie, I’m going to try to knock up a video demo of it.

(On a side note, why does the forum hide multiple spaces? When I typed in
DATA -------------DATA
DATA -------------DATA
DATA -------------DATA
but used spaces instead of dashes, it displayed as

DATA DATA
DATA DATA
DATA DATA

but when I went to edit it, the spaces were still there, and it still displayed correctly in the edit box!)

Yeah, I now see what you’re aiming for with the tool! I was hung up on having the BSE generated sequence in the renoise sequencer. But when you think of it, it’s maybe not so important. Maybe. I still think there can be some consequences that are hard to foresee before trying the thing out. Hope someone scrapes up a prototype, would be eager to try it out!

well, this too can be controlled by scripting, clicking on an icon or by shortcuts.

I would still very much like to see a alternate pattern sequence lane or something, so I can edit my pads and leads without merging them into an unwieldy single pattern. :)