Buzz-VST adapter

My favorite part of this is how i don’t care about buzz machines at all.

I used to be a hardcore Buzzer for years, untill the constant crashing and losing songs, as well as the ultra messy install and folders, and the total abandonment of Oskari with the prorgam made me look for something else. Before i used Buzz, i was heavily into Screamtracker, and later Impulse Tracker, so i went looking for a tracker and found Renoise.

The only thing i miss about Buzz is it’s core sound, wich could be easily emulated by a VST plugin or something, programmers only need to take a peek at the Buzz source (atleast i think it’s that easy, smack me if i’m wrong).

As for Buzz machines, i’m starting to find out gradually that for every good Buzz machine, there’s atlease one equaly good free VSTi. There’s only a handfull machines i used in Buzz, mainly the Infector for basslines and the BellFM for those BoC-esque leads (check out my myspace for an example, www.myspace.com/colorclimax).

I disagree however that Buzz is a techno-only program (again, check out my myspace page for examples of Boards of Canada/Freescha-like stuff).

Long story short, let Oskari have his precious Buzz royalties…but leave 'em out of Renoise. You’d be much better of with your own proprietry format, or maybe write a handfull VSTi programmers to include their VSTi plugins for free. There’s lots of great free VSTi’s out there, from the top of my head:

• Crystal
  • Synth 1
  • Disine (my replacement for the Buzz BellFM machine, does all that and more)
  • Rumpleraush Taips Crazy Diamonds
  • Dirtbag
  • Drumatic
  • Triangle

Search the KVR-Audio site and you’ll find much more.

First post btw. so hello everyone and all that :)

edit i also kinda miss Buzz’s sequencer, but maybe that’s because i haven’t spent enough time with Renoise’s seq.

i dessagree with you.
meybe i have no more expiriance as you but i never see solution when i can create better drums as in buzz.
becuase i want thi vst.
i you guys say that you dont like buzz because its buggy but see from other side if it will be stable? you will have many machines and you can create some thing as you personal synth

open buzz create you own schemas and use it as synth or drum line.
because i want it.
and if optimazy it for renoise… it will be rocks renoise have cool patterns but buzz have machines together it will be power and it will be free but optimazed for renoise))))

btw i will try to donate))) as i can because i need it. ye it will be longer but will be

I love Buzz machines… inside of Buzz. Of course UnwieldyTracker isn’t quiiite as cool now that Shortcircuit is free. Still, Fuzzpilz and BTDSys rule and thanks to those guys I will have a Buzz installation as long as I have a Windows installation.

Renoise is like a luxury automatic transmission that has everything you could want, comfortable seats, nice stereo, good mileage, handles very smoothly. Behaves exactly as it should with almost no unpleasant surprises and lots of unexpected features.

Buzz is the hotrodded piece of crap stick shift you’ve had for 10 years that’s falling apart and rides way too low to the ground, but it’s a blast to drive - on a good day.

I love em both. They’re not mutually exclusive! Most of the time I’d rather have the velvety interior and reliability of Renoise, but sometimes I just have to (ab)use Buzz.

I’m coming up short for a good car analogy on this but I also love having multiple tracks in the sequencer in Buzz. Hairier but more powerful in many ways.

While Buzz development is already dead for a long time (or at least lingering asleep for a long time), Renoise development is still going strong.
Maybe Renoise will be the hotrodded blast with the comfortable seats, nice stereo, good mileage smooth design one day.
It’s just a matter of time before a buzzer could say:“Why did i ever wanted buzzmachines in Renoise?” or “Why would i ever wished for a buzz-Vst in renoise?”

Just look at how many user wishes that have already been realised in Renoise today?
Mixer, Recording, Beatruler, Multicore support, realtime BPM handling.
These big changes were all user requests and done within one year together.
There were more desired features, but its late for me so don’t go bothering my long-term memory for those details now.

Another problem that will pop up i think, is that Buzz machines will sound totally different in Renoise. No matter what kind of VSTi i loaded in Buzz, the soundengine of Buzz gave it a welcoming “grime and dirt”. In Renoise, VSTi’s seem to sound much louder and clearer, probably the way they are supposed to sound.

Hence, i use a lot of the old lo-fi material, and MDA has a couple good “f****erthesoundupper” VST effects too (and free).

P.S. Belkin, you really should check out Drumatic VST, you can generate an endless amount of kick, snare, clap, hihat etc… sounds, because it lets you manipulate just about everything the sound is built up from. For example, you can make a very punchy snare with reverb by just re-drawing the noise curve of the snare sound.

Now that i think of it, of the 4-5 RNS’s i have lying around, there’s only one song that uses a sample…i’m addicted to VSTi’s :P

drumutik sucks!

“Why did i ever wanted buzzmachines in Renoise?” or “Why would i ever wished for a buzz-Vst in renoise?”
its very simple

1. Buzz is unstable
  2. i dont like buzz sequence
  3. Why not?

its f****in human avidity. what use it use in buzz but…

this is an old topic.

please read the whole thread!!!

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…hl=buzzmachines

dont look back… there’s hope =>

i dont mean support buzz in renoise i mean support via free vst like buze

i think need to close this topic…

bump

i dont want buzz inside renoise but im use lots of Great Native Buzz Gears.
whit this one : BuzzgearsToVST

[b]Buzz-To-Vst DLL Plug-ins

1. Copy the BuzzFXVst.DLL + BuzzGenVst.DLL into each of your host applications VST Plug-ins directory.
    (e.g. C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX\Vstplugins)

2. Copy the Dsplib.DLL file into each of your host applications main run directory.
    (e.g. C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX)

(OR)

Copy the Dsplib.DLL file once into your \Windows\System32 directory if you plan on using the convertors
in more than one host application.

Note:
put the File “Lee Dragon’s Mono To Stereo Wrapper.dll” in the root buzz folder for the (stereo) buzz efects to work properly[/b]

And you get Buzz Instruments and Effects inside Renoise, without buzz or buze screens, and use renoise like always… :walkman:

1 Like

Whoa! Not only did Renoise 2 show up today, but this! This day is way better than Christmas! :w00t:

Thanks for posting this hotelsinus. Seems to works well with most effects and generators, except from drum machines which I am for some reason unable to trigger using MIDI notes - is there a special trick to it?

1 Like

whoa… nice one. thanks a ton.
I don’t suppose there’s a chance of wavetable machines working in this? wavetable manipulation was always my favorite part of Buzz…

Quoted in a dedicated and pinned Tips & Tricks topic ;)

1 Like

hmm, I don’t know if that’ll be a breaking news for you, but Oskari has re-started Buzz developing since July 08, delivering a fresh build on a monthly (sometimes weekly) basis.
And the new builds are quite stable.

As for the Renoise compatibility - cmon, folks, they are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT enviromnents, with Buzz being modular and Renoise being regular tracker. Making them ‘compatible’ will only result in headache and unnecessary arguments.

IT-Alien, About Buzz being the ‘techno-only’ software - wow, that is a truly profound thing to say. Just demostrates how little you know about the thing, actually. :rolleyes:

His response dates almost 7 years back… so the remark should be “how little you knew” ;)

1 Like

[heya License!]
has anyone used the new version of buzz? I thought I saw it on his site but I didn’t know how you use the type of files he had there.

I dont know what is so great about most buzz machines, I usually just use matilde tracker and sometimes the 303 machines…

http://jeskola.net/buzz/beta/files/

never mind on my last post. I tried again and it worked for me. I downloaded the stealth pack and copied the new buzz.exe over the other one and ran it and it seems to work well in vista so far.

Some of the Drum machines as well as other buzz gens have triggers instead of midi notes or they have both. For example Oomek Aggressor has MIDI notes but both accent and slide params are triggers.