Choosing An Artist Name

…or squarepuller :P

Hrvatska Snares ;)

Lung Butter.cuz my music is vile.lung butter is the yellow lumps of rotten flesh u cough out wen uve been smoking too much.

soundmudderer!

or…

soundbotherer

Coasts of Burkina Faso
Stereoriver
Physical Sisters
Amiga Adult Mayhem
Past Silence of Dublin
Rats off Pluto

Really like that one

genfu that list has some classics! i actually giggled.

i came up with mine cos norton sound is a place in alaska and norton is a name that is used in pretty much every business going so i thought i’d combine the old ‘stick a pin in a map’ technique with a play on business names. then i got bored of norton so became n.sound which incidentally is the name of a musical programming language based on c.sound which is kinda geeky so it so there.

this is totally off topic but my friends and i have been having a debate about what defines geek, nerd and dork. and since you mentioned the word ‘geeky’ i’m going to use this as an excuse to give you my take on this:

nerd: someone with lifestyle based on nerdish activity and advanced level of knowledge within chosen nerdish topic (be that d&d, IT, comic books etc.). nerd does not define ‘intelligent’ but a nerd will usually be deep into their nerdish thing, with a highly advanced level of knowledge about that subject. also a nerd would typically struggle to communicate with the opposite sex and fullfill other stereotypes such as the thick rimmed glasses, and so on <footnote, revenge of the nerds>

geek: a specific interest in something specific which is not definitive of lifestyle. so you may be a “map geek”, “film dates geek”, “pink floyd geek”, “camera geek” etc. It does not mean you are necessarily a nerd, but you have a specific geeky interest. an “analogue synth geek”, may still have a girlfriend/boyfriend.

dork: derogatory term to describe someone generally inept, who may have nerdish or geekish interest, but really isn’t that good at them and doesn’t know that much about them. a dork might want to be a “map geek”, but he/she lost the maps, for example.

i think most people on here are renosie geeks. or are we renoise nerds, dorks? you, the reader can decide. coming to a wiki-nerd-apedia near you soon.

Be careful - or you become geek`s geek :D nice name for a band by the way

i think you just ripped a whole in the sky with this paradox… “the anomaly”

now there’s a name…

Let`s consider - geek=lifestyle?

geek from greece = greek

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK

Love that name :D

But there’s a CAPSLOCK breakcore artist. ;)

Love it

I also like “Lose CTRL”. In fact, I already lost CTRL. My keyboard has 4 alt keys on it :smiley: I threw one of the CTRL’s into the yard just so I could say “LOSE CTRL!!!”

@organic
then it’s rather like “LOST CTRL” ;)

Personally it was like… What simply feels right at the moment. I had this book my dad gave me when i was a kid, “The visual encylopaedia of science fiction”, and it has the cover image for an edition of Arthur C Clarke’s “Sunjammer”. I hadn’t read the story, which is basically about a spaceship race driven by solar winds, but the image gave me associations of something like The Simpsons’ Burns and his scheme for blocking out the sun. I have a personal issue with sharp sunlight, so for me it was a double meaning thing. On one end i liked how it sounds like something that stops the sun from reaching something, considering how utterly insanely powerful an object the sun is. On the other i liked the idea of something that supplies shadow for those that don’t want to be illuminated.

Then again, there’s a canadian beach boys cover band called Sunjammer. Also a fairly crap Mike Oldfield song with the same name.

I don’t think names, if you make them abstract, really mean anything beyond what you yourself feel about them. I think the more you think about it the less attached you’ll be to it and the less real it’ll be. I’d have loved to change my name ages ago, considering the shift in musical style i’ve gone through, but in the end it’s still about me, not what i make.

Use whatever instinctive name feels right.

yeah this is what im trying to do really, one which basically can be tied approximately to the ideas of my stuff, but not too specific and just sounds right and feels right. i did settle on ‘the turtle’ a while back and did a netlabel release or two as that, but i kinda want a different name for the more ‘serious’ stuff i do, while keeping “the turtle” or “turtle warp” for the more fun ravey type bits and pieces. anyway im sure i’ll get there.

it just seems to be more tricky than you’d think, every time i find something vaguely decent it turns out an artist or label has already used it. or the meaning is right for what i want to express, but the word is phonetically awkward. or it has death metal connotations. or it sounds like a band not a person. also although it’s meant to be a ‘serious’ name, i dont want it to sound too serious, too pretentious or too typical of the genre. it should be kinda low-key… thats why i was considering “jw” which are just my initials, but then thats also maybe abit boring…

im in the ball park now though, it needs to be something which suggests ocean, plants, earth or similar. maybe. its quite fun to trawl through dictionary thesaurus and encyclopedia looking for this stuff because you learn loads of stuff. novels have gotta be a good source too though definitely, will have to dig through my books…

OC.PL.EA