Creamware Pulsar VSTs + ASIO Settings

Hi,

I am using a Creamware system with Renoise in what is called the XTC mode.

The XTC mode allows some proprietary VST plugins to be run as native plugins with no latency at all since the sound is routed directly through the ASIO driver.

I am experiencing some problems with such plugins but not at all latencies. The plugins work flawlessly when the ASIO latency is kept below or equal to 256 samples).
When using higher latencies, the sound gets very distorted and the plugins are unusable. This is not a new problem, it has been like that since Renoise 1.5 but has always worked on other hosts (such as Aodix4, Cubase).

In order for the plugins to work, static buffers are needed. Though while looking at the logs, I see the static buffer is 256, and cannot be changed. I am wondering if the the fact the latency for the asio buffer is over 256 samples causes the problem (I wouldn’t know why though). It is a quite strange situation. Usually, you’d expect problem at lower latencies when it comes to dsp solutions.

I have changed my computer recently, so using a low latency causes little problems for now. For larger projects, though, I roughly notice something like 3 times more CPU used at lower latencies. This is a lot for a difference of about 5 to 15 ms latency.

I don’t know if it is a good idea to have the static buffer size settable by the user but it would at least help knowing what has / hasn’t any effect on the issue.

I have read in another post that the 256 size might become 512 in the future, though I don’t like the idea of this value being changed because it “might” improve stability in some situations (and this comes with extra latency that people with a stable setup would find to be a drawback). Just my opinion…

Just wanted to give an hint on what the problem could be since I know I am not the only want trying to use a Creamware system with Renoise.

By the way, I have three Creamware soundcards and wouldn’t mind lending one to the Renoise for a few months…

Thanks

Breakthru

Hey Breakthrough,

Thats basically the same problem as we have with the Virus TI (and other VSTs which do run through a soundcard driver): https://forum.renoise.com/t/renoise-virus-ti-vst-problems/21442
Those VSTs require that their VSTs run buffered & in sync with the ASIO driver. Renoise splits down buffers to smaller segments with the static buffers option disabled. Same thing happens when automating the VST parameters in many other hosts.
Thats nothing we can quickly change/fix, but we’ve got a solution for this, so we’ll take care of this in future. I don’t think that its a good idea to let the user specify the buffer size manually. This should work out of the box and not only when setting up stuff here and there depending on what audio settings you use. Aka, Renoise should take care of this automatically and not the user…

Why don’t you just use the Scope platform instead of xtc mode? It’s much more flexible. You can route the asio-outputs through any set of fx you like and then route it back to renoise or to your hardware output.

Bump, bump been researching gathering some info for that new sonic core xite -one platform …and it looks the bizz (that a look at all the included instruments/fx …that’s .crazy …
But this all has lends me to some questions which the original topicstarter/or any creamware user might have answers to .
1.apart from the xtc mode (which I don’t really care about) so instruments loaded in the scope platform( specically designed for scope ), does it all work flawlesly for you , the midi sequencing/controlling from renoise to your scope platform ??
2.Do you also use your scope card for midi sequencing external gear ( in this case the scope midi out is used , renoise is just sending note, controller value to the scope card, ), if so , is it tight enough ?
3.Scope as your master audio interface , any good ?
I am just drooling of that xite-1 thing

o.k. SO this thread came in handy
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=13381&hl=creamware%20&st=25
@spdk , are you still experiencing these problems with the creamware cards in renoise 2.5 ( apartt from the fix around in the config. settings )?

@ taktik , could you give a bit more in depth info about the problem ( foor noobs )
LIke you said , the creamware platform receives midi data inside the audiostream , how does this actually work .
You also said that the problem ( of the skipping notes ) dissappear when the cpu usage in renoise increases , how can this be possible if both renoise and the scope platform run on their own cpu , please note that I don’t doubt your insight in this matter ,au contraire , I blindly believe you .
Also , seems like renoise has a lot of problems with cards running on their own chipset , can this be solved within renoise without the help of the 3th partie developers ?
If not , this would rule out a future purchase of the scope platform as this means I would have to change host in order to get it work properly .( kinda funny I would rather stick to renoise then get a xite-one and change hosts , xite one =60 renoise licenses :panic: )

cheers

Taktik’s response was in 2009, there has been done a few changes in the audio engine since then, even in the 2.5 engine.
I think it deserves a status-update from his site before continuing on old conclusions.

I know , maybe soniccore will be so friendly to provide taktik with scope xite-one unit ( they recide in the same city :rolleyes:) to give it a test drive .

Damn , I am lusting for a xite-1 …again … :)
So was wondering …;taktik did you have the chance to try one out ?