Crossfading Between Waveforms

Hi …I am a huge (ab)user of the ‘draw waveform’ feature inside renoise …So I had this ( dare I say it )amazing idea
Ok…here goes …we all know the beloved ‘prophet vs’ or ‘korg wavestation’ …where one had the option to move between different waveforms by volume crossfading ( example : the amplitude of wave x decreases while the amplitude of wave y increases …and all those interesting things i bewteen .
So I was thinking what about the opportunity of loading different ( single cycled ) waveforms into a sample slot and implenting a simple volume crossfade meta device …thus automating the crossfade lets you switch between the different waves just by simple volume crossfade automation .

example

ps how do I upload xnrs files ?

Crossfading between multiple waveforms could be achieved in a number of ways. Either by a DSP LFO device, or carefully syncing multiple instrument LFO’s. But perhaps you’re talking about wave “morphing”, which is of course much more complicated…?

As for a dedicated crossfading send device, this has been suggested before and has my +1

Just post a link - then you can put the xrns on your homepage (if you have one), or any filesharing service (if you don’t)…

Wel crossfading the volume between the waves is kind of morphing …where the amplitude of wave x decreases and the amp.of wave y increases …anything in between ( while the crossfading is happening )is just a mixture of both waves …This is how it’s done in a vectorsynth (pure crossfading of amplitudes )…like the prophet vs …crossfading between four userdefinable waves from a 128 list of romwaves
I am not talking about generating newwaveforms from scratch ( like the waldorf xt …or u-he zebra or any wavetableesque synth etc ) or an interpolation method between existing waves ( where the empty spaces between waves are filled ) like a wavetable …
I knoww it can be done by simply drawing the appropriate envelope curve …but it is impossible to load 2 waves into a single slot and both assigned to the same keyrange and crossfading bewtween the waves ( and here I mean to increase the amplitude of one wave while decreasing the amplitude of the other wave ) manually …correct me if I am wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_synthesis

OK I see what you mean.

As I see it, there would be two ways to achieve that

1: Integrate it into the future xrni (renoise instrument). That would probably be part of the multi-oscillator routing specs?
2: A meta device that was able to listen to incoming notes for a specific instrument, and trigger other, userdefined instruments with additional volume range/scaling options - much like how the velocity device works. There would be no need for an improved instrument format, but it wouldn’t be as elegant as the first option.

yep …multiple oscilator xnri …with crossfading feature …

taktik !!!

On a similar subject, a simple granular type synthesis would be rather cool.
-Where a samples loop section has a length that can be modulated, and its loop start point can also be modulated.
As long as each loop point always ‘snaps’ to zero axis crossover and its loop length is relevant to pitch/interval, it would be quite useful for making long develping tones from shorter waveforms.
Id be happy to enter the loop points (or granules) myself on a waveform.

Maybe ive mised it as im quite new to this- but also layering samples in an instrument would be cool too.

automatable looppoints is a well known request feature …so automating both looppoints at the same time ( user defined selection ) = granulair like synthesis …But it aint that easy …just try out 'vember audio shortcircuit )…while you can automate the looppoints in the sampler( shortcircuit ) it is still verry grainy/dirty sounding …for a smoooth grainlike effect , every little portion of audio ( inside the looopregion ) has to blend with the next or preious , depending on tloopregion’s position ( volume crossfading is an option to blend existing waves or small portions of audio with other waves )…not sure if I made myself clear
but first …see 2 posts above …
What I was suggesting was just an option to crossfade two or more ( single cycled ) waves with each other in the same instrument /on the same keyrange

Hmmm seems like not an awfull lot of people are interested in this feature

Never mind, perhaps as time goes on we can muster up a cross fading and granular synthesis petition group :yeah:

Until then, try out Granulab. It’s the best granular synthesis program I’ve ever worked with, and recently got updated.
http://hem.passagen.se/rasmuse/Granny.htm

Humbugs ! i use linux :D

I don’t want granular synthesis implented ( where did you read that ) just a simple crossfade feature between waves …mapped to the same key …ex …c3 …has a saw wave and square wave assigned …when the crossfade slider is fully right …you’ll hear the saw …if you move it to the left …you’ll hear the square …it’s called crossfading of amplitude …so when the slider is in the middle you’ll hear 50/50 squaresaw…thus some kinda of new waveform …This is how the old sequential prophet vs worked …so it has noting to do with granular /wavetable synthesis …but you can create new soundtimbres by combining different waves …and I don’t think this feature is ( to hard ) to implement…
Just multiple osc.instrument structure and a fancy slider ( named mutate ) and bang :drummer:

Hi, I didn’t want to derail this topic, or anything. But jonnyz’ proposal called for a friendly spam :slight_smile:

A dedicated “crossfade” parameter would imply that we could only fade between two waveforms. For something much more powerful, the (imaginary) modulation matrix should be able to apply the value of one parameter to any number of waves/oscillators…I’m thinking about something simular to the z3ta+ modulation matrix (screenshot)

Why limit ourself ( or taktik for that matter :) to a ‘X/Y axis’ ?
Would be cool if the modulation field represents something like a dodecahedron/hexagon …whatever , where every corner represents a waveform ( oscilator ) so morphing between every corner …hmmm …
You didn’t steal my thread ( this a forum right ? ) I just wanted to make sure that the original posted idea was crossfading and not granulair synthesis ( I wouldn’t say no to that either …the ability to move the loop points markers by effects commands or modulation lanes …)