Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 20

how I did the hihat without writing anything on the tracker (technique used on the no-sample ddrc):
on a send track you add: line in + dc offset (with offset at 100% !!! beware put a auto dc offset on the master track) then lofimat (noise at 100%) then highpassfilter (until you get something like a hh sound) then a gainer driven by a lfo used as a sequencer.

Once you’re able to do that you can do the same for snare and kick and keep your unique track for your chiptune melody.

good luck all

if u’re looking for inspiration: onetrackonecolumndemo.xrns this is what I made last hour.

… but line-in is or isn’t allowed ?

Ya I thought it wasn’t allowed for recording things. Not sure if we can or not, but if you take a look at the demo track I submitted I did almost the same trick but using a reverb with long decay time it’s the same idea.

I think it’s anyway possible to use similar techniques even without the *line in DSP, any signal can feed a Dc Offset, even something with a gainer and -INF could make it.

The idea with the velocity tracker didn’t really do what i wanted, because when i change the velocity on one instrument it affects all instruments in the track.
Hmm, gotta find a plan b. :P

I have no idea how those sounds can be on one track. This competition has completely stumped me :(

don’t give up! and it is just this one round that stumped you, more rounds to come with whole different rules and stuff! maybe üav can give you some pointers or something, or someone else here in the thread can help you out?

by the way, i will definitely not be competing this round because i simply do not have the time, will be away this weekend and got preparation to do, and still working on my entry for the Bleep compo in the mean time. sorry! see you guys next round (i think :slight_smile:

sorry for the hard rule :)
Check the instruments proprieties. Several samples are multilayered too, they are set to continue instead of note-off or stop wich mean that if a note is place just after they still play. I think it’s great rule if you want to understand more deeply renoise mechanics but for sure it need some works! Don’t give up!

I agree that it’s a good rule. I just don’t understand haha. I’m making some headway, not going to enter though haha.

I have to say I feel doubtful people will come out with much of a level above that, I know my initial noodlings are of nothing near the standard! Might start again from scratch with approach two but not confident I’ll get anything even approaching a finished composition…

So far no entries so would be nice if people would be willing to enter their pieces even if only a couple of patterns long and they really don’t feel that they like them much.

Although don’t feel afraid to cheat a little and steal the instruments from Uav’s example to help you with getting some basic parts to work with ;)

Why didn’t you just submit that track of yours üav, it’s a lot better than my attempt so far?

From his PM with the rules:

So I think he felt it would be a little unfair if he did, especially as he much have many half finished ideas and sketches too, which I kinda agreed with although I believe he would of worked on something new and within the rules.

Aha, i didn’t see the whole picture, sounds like a cool concept for an album. :)

Full on brain ‘click’. Might enter it if I get some more done in time. But I’ve managed to fart out some sort of future garagey kind of thing. It’s getting full very quick though.

Are you allowed more than one effect column? Also I’ve used the drum hits that come with Renoise, I hope that’s allowed?

You may have as many effect columns as you want, but i don’t think you’re allowed to use other samples than those in the template song.

Correct. Have to make you own kinda drum sounds by copying what the old analogue drum machines did and using Renoise’s envelopes.

Really am not liking what I’ve managed to do and almost thinking about trying to start again for the third time…

Haha, me too, i just keep listening to üav’s track and get nothing done. :P

I’m a bit frustrated with the instruments, none of them seems to give me som nice percussion sounds.
Would be nice with a white noise or a small drum kit. ^_^

Don’t mean to sound stupid but how do I get up the template song? Is it one of the lessons??

It’s what we had instead of a sample pack this round and is in the first post of the thread.