Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 27

I’ve planned to make my track this afternoon, anyway I can’t do anything else, I’ve got a f… muscle spasm, I can’t move my ass from my chair.

As long as you can move your hands on the keyboard ;)

BTW I’ve finished, so there will be at least 2 entries. I tried to make something as “groovy” as possible and use some techniques I’ve learned in previous rounds. I’m sending you my entry right now. Good luck to the other participant(s) !

Slipped my mind briefly at work but that’s good as just (kinda) got another entry in. Unfortunately only a audio file has been provided and xrns is compulsory, so I have requested the xrns and will give them a little time to get back to me.

Curious what the other people done made :)
I thought I would lay down some raps but in the end it’s just a few samples I really dig. Probably not gonna share the .xrns (even if that would disqualify me) but there could be some .xrnt and .xrni uploaded in the future…
Also my rules would have actually been slightly different, encouraging the use of ‘Render Selection to Sample’. My opinion is that the coolest effects come from multiple render->transpose->render on different dsp chain iterations, and also, in a much simpler way of reasoning, if you don’t allow a lot of render selection you might as well give up using envelopes, transposing, meta devices, or Renoise alltogether if you use anything else then C-4 key. :P

WHole point is to have fun and learn.

Ha for what, the post count? :D :P

I thought it should be but all the people whose names start with a K are acting like vague annoying batshits…

Word!! any renoise compos really but i did learn a lot in here.
For me though the contest this time would’ve been about samplism, effects usage, etc, not about how much noise you got stuffed in your tiny .xrns file.

Very good explanation although I don’t think the FB command works really well (always still plays like half a line)… I would just use the native looping when working on different parts of the song! (click & drag in the slim upstanding rectangles on the far left of the interface just next to the sequences pattern numbers)
What also works well if you put the rendered patterns at the end, is to just place an F000 command at the far end of you outro / last pattern, before the rendered stuff… this just stops playback at the end of a song (BPM=0). You still have to cut it off if you render the whole song in the end though.

Tracking over, time to get voting.

Deadline for votes is 12noon UK time Tuesday 13th December 2011

Get your vote pack from: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?600cg145d4kub5a

And a bonus track I feel sorry for disqualifying due to refusal to provide the xrns: Cas - Supreme Synthesizer Skills & Frivolous Forbidden Fruits

What Cas says about having the Patterns at the very end and a Stop command is valid. I would be happy for them not even to be in the Arranger list but Instruments titled so you can find them by changing a pattern number to suit if you really wanted.

Unfortunately people didn’t do so well at following the naming guidlines anyway (and the naming was a request, unlike provision of and xrns.)

And I understand being an annoying batshit, just not quite sure what the vague bit refers to… I thought we had expressed ourselves quite clearly!

hey I’ve played the Cas track and … that’s good example of… “how to manage a girlfriend and music:badteethslayer:

Oh no, another KURTZ-round! :lol:
I won’t bet my tracking arms, but maybe my left leg? :P

I’m afraid i missed this round too. I tried, but i got so tired from synthesizing drum sounds, can we do something else soon? :D

Hey TheBellows, too bad you couldn’t participate in the end. The synth (or native synth) based rounds require a lot of time & energy dedicated to the instruments definition, and the problem is that when you’ve finally got your 10 well sounding instruments (including the drumkit), you’ve no time left for the arrangement itself… I think that we had a lot of fun with the Resynth tool, a lot of Renoisers have participated to the related rounds and brought good tracks and interesting techniques with them. A second round gave to Renoisers the opportunity to contribute even more to the success of this tool, and to release a few additionnal tracks. However, I don’t see now how a 3rd Resynth-based-round could improve even better this tool experience or bring new ideas…

The last DDRC26 proved that voters are able to finally make up their mind at the last minute, so… Listeners vote for the track they like and it’ll be the best choice. I’ve got a few ideas for some future rounds of course, but revealing those ideas now, would harm a bit the spirit and the suspense of this competition…

I don’t mind another resynth round though, but a small drumkit in addition would be very helpful i think.
Anything that can reduce the “work” and make more room for “fun” and “play” makes me happy. :)

Just had to redownload the entries as I had accidentally moved rather than copied the originals before uploading the vote pack.

Anyway close on this round, two great entries really showing off some of the power that can come from Renoise API and some programming knowledge!

Congratulations due to Kurtz for yet another well deserved win.

Although I do have to say I did really enjoy Dunks’ track and with the votes it seems opinions were quite evenly split this round! If it had come to me placing the deciding vote I think I would of gone that way.

Next round to start this Thursday. One request for while you are choosing your rule: I think we should not do anything 2.8 specific until RC1 has been released to prevent keeping out people who may be using the demo (although I can only remember one demo user entry so far.) Of course you are more than welcome to use it in your own entry and as the rule setter you can veto any suggestions or base-rules I may generally put in place.

Also honorary mention to Cas for a well produced tune with some outstanding drum sounds synthesised with the ReSynth tool. Shame you were not willing to share the xrns and thus were not legible for votes this round. I do hope this has not put you off the competition in general. I had changed to the xrns being compulsory quite a few rounds ago (think the Sound Of Silence round) whereas before it was only done in some rounds with the tighter rules (of which I would of considered this one of those rounds anyway.)

Thanks kazakore, Congratulations to Kurtz. Learning lots of new stuff doing these Competitions.

Hey all, big thanx for the votes ! :walkman:

Glad that you appreciated my entry. I however consider this round as a draw. I know what worked in my track and I also know the weakness in it.

The technique developped by Dunks is much more “realistic” than mine, it requires pure tracking skills with the pattern command. The produced scratch is very precise and the result is fucking “groovy”, and I’m sure that if we had a few more hours Dunks would have another vote for his entry. Scratching with my technique has been a pure pain in the ass. And if you have to produce a cool scratch for sure I recommend the Dunks method !

Okay I’ll try to find something for a 2.7.2 based round tomorrow, after a quick trip into my supermarket (I have to prepare gifts for chirstmas).

Thanx again and see you soon !

Congrats KURTZ, you’re just too good with noises! :P

I’ve prepared something special for you in the next samplepack.

Something special just for me? :P

yep : a DRUUUUUUUUUUMKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT !

:panic: :panic: :panic:

:yeah:

:drummer: