Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 28

Not as good but more topical (festive):

^ bonus for eye-candy, though the farts make it less appealing again :)

I’m just wondering: are tools like the rubberband timestretch/pitch-shift tool not allowed? It’s, strictly speaking, not a DSP of Renoise, right?

Gray area but I generally feel happy to have them used as they affect the existing sound and run natively in Renoise on all three platforms (so no advantage from using a specific OS. Tools that actually generate waveforms/samples I say (on the whole) not allowed though.

Really it’s up to Kurtz as the winner of the last round but those are my general thoughts on the matter.

The problem with this kind of tool is that it’s a destructive data processing. Once the sample is processed it’s altered.

There are globally some nice samples & loops in the DDRC packages, but their BPM could not sometimes match the BPM of other samples. What makes them somehow difficult to use alltogether in a same coherent mix. There are well known samplebased DAWs that easily and visually timestretch/pitchshift samples in audiotracks. But we’re in a tracker, and in a tracker, you use pattern commands to control samples. And the official rules push musicians to use some pure tracking skills, to work it out. So, for now, participants used the nifty 09XX pattern command technique (see the renoise tutorials to understand how it works). This technique stretch samples but without modifying notes, it’s also able to pitchshift samples without modifying their BPM. I’ve allready used the 09XX technique successfully in some previous rounds, and it’s a realtime thing, it doesn’t physically change the samples at all, however, it’s hard to master, there are sometimes a problem of small glitches (small internal stutterings) and a problem of precision.

Of course I’d be happy if Renoise could allow a non-destructive timestretch / pitchshift pre-processor in the sample editor, it would probably be a huge step forward if the devteam could implement something like that, also between slices of the beatslicer. But for now we’ll have to be patient, this feature doesn’t exist - sure that it will probably be added in some ways in the future Renoise 3.XX versions. What do you think about the 09XX command ?

Not going to be able to do anything for this round, been feeling far too ill all week! :(

Downloaded the samplepack, fiddled with it for a bit, and… I think I may actually turn something in. :blink:

The 09xx command is great, I saw that video already some weeks ago. It doesn’t seem too hard to apply, lets see if I can use that technique for something soon. In fact, I wish there was a book on those tracker techniques :) Thanks for the explanation of the ultimate philosophy behind the rules, I wasn’t planning to use the rubberband anyway and just wondered about it and the rules. I aim for exploration of renoise’s native capabilities, before looking at all the nice tools and see why they exist and why they are handy.

to have non-destructive Rubberband-edits, just copy the sample and edit the copy.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! When I finally manage to squeeze something out of my brain and fingers… <_<

Sorry to hear that you’re not well. Hope you’ll get better, man! Not fun not being well this close upon x-mas. At least you can listen to my creation (since I submitted it before I read your post) and maybe it’ll make you feel a bit better.

okay, if you’ve got a precision/granuarity problem with the 09XX command, and if you really need do use the rubberband tool, I exceptionnaly allow you to use this tool,
I ask you to keep the original sample, to duplicate it, to timestretch/pitchshift it, and then to rename it like that :

#RB-Original sample name

example :
[b]00|Holy Shit
01|#RB-Holy Shit
02|Sawtooth
03|#RB-Sawtooth

[/b]

… okay let’s start to work on this round now, as usual, somethin fast, see you :walkman:

My track lacks something, but i’m not shure what it is…

a few special fx ?

^^ background? ambience?

I don’t know, i think it lacks a bit of everything, but not much more time to do anything about it now anyway, so i’ll submit what i have. :)

okay I’ve finished,
I’ve first started with a “saesonal genre”,
but finally I was bored during the playback,
and decided to change a bit the melody…
I’m sending my thing to kazakore now,
good luck to the other participants !

oh i already finished last weekend. i forgot to mention that even though i liked the sample-pack, i felt it was a bit pushy. it seemed to me a lot of samples were geared towards something particular (multiple laughter-samples etc), and i felt my personal interpretation of who Stan is got influenced to a certain degree.

this is not some ‘the samplepack sucked so that is why my song is not the best!!!’-kinda excuse. simply a tip for the next time you set up a compo with a premise where you can let your imagination run free, to maybe also provide a bit less ‘biased’ samplepack.

Yep. This happened. I got say, 75% done but was still feeling the ‘not done’-feeling last night so this one’s a miss. Too bad. Was fun!

Tracking over, pack upload, hope you all have time to step away from the turkey and beers to give the tracks a listen and cast your vote. You have until 12noon UK time on Tuesday 27th December.

Pack: http://www.mediafire.com/?o535wtthjyz9di1

I believe my personal favourite has a strong flavour of being by our currently residing champion, although there are some close comers and overall a very good turnout so thanks you all for your participation!